A political view - should everyone have one?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, not really, everyone knew swine flue was nothing.

No. Everyone thought that swine flu was nothing.

The fact that it's turned out that way is good fortune. It'd be a fucker if it was the other way round.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
when the WHO speaks up you listen. swine flu could have been devastating if it had set in properly thousands could have died. frankly we got lucky with all this recent cold weather it will do alot to kill the bug.

back on topic ill be voting for the independant party as they seem to cover most of my concerns mostly about immigration. labour and conservatives have jumped on that bandwagon far too late for me to believe they will actually do anything to change the immigration policies.

as someone said alot of the minority parties have gained groud in the past few years mainly due to the inept running and touting off of the 2 major parties.

if you vote for a minority you are basically saying you have no confidence in the ppl running the country. if you spoil your ballot paper its the same thing. the only way governments listen to the people is through the ballots, labour havent listened and thats why they will probably be lickin their wounds in 6 months time when they get booted out of office.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
WHO is far too politicised these days. Best ignore it tbh.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
From the outset it killed a tiny proportion per infected number of people, smaller than normal flu. We knew it was nothing. The large pharmaceuticals did very well out of this, if they play their cards right t hey can even buy back some of it for less than they sold it for. All there was, was a load of unconfirmed deaths in people who already had poor health. Its a good example of how mass hysteria generated by the media is what drive politics these days.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
still better to be prepared the threat was there the government took action i really cant fault em for that, fair enough it turned out not to be as deadly as feared but alot of people still caught it
i had a dose of flu myself dunno if it was swine flu theyd stop doing diagnosis by that point fact is i felt like i was dyin and could barely move and i for one am glad there was advice and anti virals to help me get over it.

but we are going off topic. everyone has a political view to some extent we all complain about stuff and generally its because the government have influenced it to some degree.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i listen when its time for elections. other then that they can go fuck themself for the most part.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I wish everyone was bright enough to be trusted with a political view.

I'm glad most of the chav scum are too stupid to 1, register to vote, 2, find the polling station, 3, mark an x in a box.

Otherwise we would be governed by far more extremist parties and be in a world of pain now.

And on Swine Flu. It's not finished yet.

Embattle

FH is my second home
No, not really, everyone knew swine flue was nothing. I can't understand why the government would buy so much vaccine at a massive cost when it was not needed. They are now trying to offload a load of useless medicine for less than they paid...

But you go ahead, do what you are told by Wonky Gordon, there's a good citizen.

Feel free to keep coming up with stupid and retarded reasons to hate him if you want.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Thanks, I was waiting for your permission, really I was.

Marc

FH is my second home
I have no political view at all because quite simply, I dont care

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I borrowed a million pounds against Tom's million!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ok, here are some controversial viewpoints and I would like people to comment on them (constructively, not 'G you're a fascist dick' - they're not all my own opinions)

- Bring back the dealth penalty for rapists, murders, violent people, drug traffikers and child molesters. The electric chair looming puts the shitters up anyone.
- Instant, long jail terms for anyone carrying an offensive weapon. Clearly they're a danger to society, so lets clear them out.
- The right to defend your own land / property.
- Bring back physical punishment in schools.
- Seperate disruptive wastes of space into their own schools.
- Slash benefits, particularly for foreigners who come to Treasure Island, sorry, the UK for a free handout. Need benefits to bring up children? You can't afford to have children. We could use some population control anyway.
- Muslims have their own mortgages, how about their own airline to go with it so they can all fly together? Should save us a fortune on airport security plus the red tape at check in time.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Ok, here are some controversial viewpoints and I would like people to comment on them (constructively, not 'G you're a fascist dick' - they're not all my own opinions)

- Bring back the dealth penalty for rapists, murders, violent people, drug traffikers and child molesters. The electric chair looming puts the shitters up anyone.
Miscarriages of Justice would be a fucker though.
- Instant, long jail terms for anyone carrying an offensive weapon. Clearly they're a danger to society, so lets clear them out.
Carrying where and by whom ?
Within some reasonable limits fine. The Myleene Klass thing is ridiculous. She should have cut their balls off and got a medal :)
Yeh it's galling that kids know there's nothing you can really do to them now and if their parents don't care they can do what they like. Could never work though because of said parents (and EU law etc)
Not opposed in principle but would it work ?
- Slash benefits, particularly for foreigners who come to Treasure Island, sorry, the UK for a free handout. Need benefits to bring up children? You can't afford to have children. We could use some population control anyway.
Could use some polishing but not a bad idea :)
- Muslims have their own mortgages, how about their own airline to go with it so they can all fly together? Should save us a fortune on airport security plus the red tape at check in time.
OK - begs the obvious question of how do you prove someone's a muslim ? Terrorists might just lie. Would punish the law-abiding muslims whilst doing nothing to stop the real threat. Isn't that exactly the sort of shit we've been berating NuLab for forcing on us for 12 years ?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Sounded reasonable-ish until the last point.

But I think (hope :p) you meant that in jest anyway xd

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Miscarriages of Justice would be a fucker though.

Absolutely true Wij, collateral damage for the greater good of the many? Given the CCTV generation and advanced DNA profiling, the "hit rate" is bound to be better than it was.

Someone caught kicking someone to death on CCTV? Chair.
Proven beyond reasonable doubt for stabbing someone? Chair.
Sperm / DNA profile left on a baby after it was raped? Chair.
Set your girlfriend on fire? Chair.

Carrying where and by whom?

I don't have a solid, workable answer to that, but if an officer uses stop and search powers on a bunch of kids in a public place (read chavs) and three of them are carrying a crowbar, a knife and a sharpened screwdriver between them; I'd say insta-jail.

Within some reasonable limits fine. The Myleene Klass thing is ridiculous. She should have cut their balls off and got a medal :)

That's what's so fucking wrong with this country - the police are arresting people taking photographs of buildings and then warning a clearly shaken woman after chavs tresspass on her property? World. Gone. Mad.

Not opposed in principle but would it work ?

Would be a drain on the tax system, but if they're altogether then they can get 100% attention all of the time instead of one or two fucking it up for the rest. They can fuck it up for each other.

OK - begs the obvious question of how do you prove someone's a muslim ? Terrorists might just lie. Would punish the law-abiding muslims whilst doing nothing to stop the real threat. Isn't that exactly the sort of shit we've been berating NuLab for forcing on us for 12 years ?

You might have to pigeon hole / group people together in an inherently racist way.

rynnor

Rockhound

All except drug trafficking I could almost agree with though one side effect of this would be more violence used in attacks and more victims murdered as people sought to prevent victims identifying them.

Instant, long jail terms for anyone carrying an offensive weapon. Clearly they're a danger to society, so lets clear them out.

Guns maybe but the legal definition of an offensive weapon is very wooly - youd just get too many innocents.

Bring back physical punishment in schools.

I dont think its workable - I remember when it was legal and it was only ever a way for the more psycho teachers to vent their rage rather than an effective deterrent.

Seperate disruptive wastes of space into their own schools.

Yes but to what end - to intensively support them to try n turn em around or just as a sort of holding pattern before prison?

Edit - oh and as for death penalty for rape remember theres a whole spectrum from stranger rape with violence down to two drunk people shagging and girl in the morning decides she couldnt possibly have voluntarily had sex - big differences.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
okidoki, I'll bite and give it a shot.

- Bring back the dealth penalty for rapists, murders, violent people,
drug traffikers and child molesters. The electric chair looming puts the shitters up anyone.

Eye for an eye ?
the Idea of the death penalty for murder, to me the pinical of arrogant numbskullery,
and anyway, if we look to the states we quickly learn that it dosent work as a deturrent for anyone,
as these crimes are often emotially driven meaning, people do not wave the conciqunce during thier actions.
murder in any form is still just that, Murder, and in my book always wrong.

I'd vouch for life sentances for the lot, "especially" child abusers, yes sure they'r sick, and need medical/psychiatric attention,
and bla bla...but the well being of children should always come before any adult and as such we still have any known "cure"
and they will therfore always present a threat to any children in their nearby surroundings.

- The right to defend your own land / property

You already have that right. if actually threatend. unless your talking about the
right to be agressive towards others simply becuase they are on "your" land/property

To what end ? I cant see what hitting a child, will ever acomplish.
Rather, the blame should be placed on parrents,
and especially parrents attitude towards teachers in general.

- Slash benefits, particularly for foreigners who come to Treasure Island,
sorry, the UK for a free handout. Need benefits to bring up children? You can't afford to have children.
We could use some population control anyway.

This has recently been inforced in Denmark, but imo in a good way, not just to foreigners though,
but as a whole, you get "child support, every 3 months" for up to 3 children, anything over that, and it's your own doing.
prior to that, you recived it pr. child, roughly £300 now, multiply that by 8 and have them all living
in a 5 room appartment that costs £500pr mounths well, you get the general idea,
I've seen entire living rooms placed in the garbage on "pay day"

- Muslims have their own mortgages, how about their own airline to go
with it so they can all fly together? Should save us a fortune on airport security plus the red tape at check in time.

when has segregation ever lead to anything good, surely that's been
tried and done by now ?

Ps: More than lack of political views, I find, to my personal disapointment,
that fewer and fewer people have any kind of political Ideals.

it's more and more a case of, what do I get out of it?
how does this benifit me ?

oh things are good you say ?
ok then I'll vote Liberal!! hurray for surplus and low taxes,
each to his own,

oh look, financial crisis, oh dear, I lost my job!
Time to vote Democratic! goooo reds! benifits for all! medicare! medicare!
we stand united, one for all all for one!

I personally know a couple of these, and theyreally anoy the crap out of me,
luckily I'm a peacefull sort, or I'd proberbly smacked them already, friends or not ;)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Why do they annoy you?

They're just smart and realise economic ideals > political ideals.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
It has nothing to do with economical ideals,
but rather about being selfish.

so unless you actually really belive that being selfish = being smart ?
you might want to reconsider that statement.

Economical ideals, would include planning for the future, planning for both prosperity and recession senarios, so that you can still be self surficient,
that means avoiding as best posible, the need to de depend on others to prosper your self.

so you say Economical ideal ? I say nulloxs, thats a cover word for selfish prick that did not bother to plan ahead. :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
A little late to it but here goes:

As far as I'm aware, research suggests that it's not a useful deterrent and all the red tape required to make sure you're executing the right person ends up making it more expensive than natural life in jail. If there's evidence to the contrary then I'd rethink my opinion.

Well others have said that this would be unworkable, and that's one thing. The other factor is what about the kids who have to live in that society, being around the chavs all the time. I expect there are those who arm themselves for self-defence. Whether they're in the minority or not, who knows but I think it's pretty naive to think "carrying a blade = ****".

As has been said, you can defend your property when you have reasonable reason to suspect you're in danger. Agree with the decision or not, the reason that farmer got locked up was because he was no longer in danger when he shot that kid (as far as I recall). The law saying once you're on someones property they can do whatever they like to you is open to far too much abuse. That Mylene Klass thing sounds like it may have been blown out of proportion - the official line is "no warning was given" so it could all be tabloid bullshit.

Aside from what's been said, if I had a kid and some teacher tried to lay a hand on him I'd be soon locked up.

Unworkable, but The Wire dedicated a whole season to doing just that. It looked absolutely terrible but started working but that's because they were actually trying to help them rather than simply put them in pre-jail. In principle, separating the kids that are willing to learn from those that aren't is sound but I just can't see how it would happen.

Don't see too much problem with being more strict with the handouts.

Already been said - segregation can only make things worse.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
It has nothing to do with economical ideals,
but rather about being selfish.

so unless you actually really belive that being selfish = being smart ?
you might want to reconsider that statement.

Economical ideals, would include planning for the future, planning for both prosperity and recession senarios, so that you can still be self surficient,
that means avoiding as best posible, the need to de depend on others to prosper your self.

so you say Economical ideal ? I say nulloxs, thats a cover word for selfish prick that did not bother to plan ahead. :p

Firstly, being selfish works. Being selfish drives an economy on. Working for other people, whilst it does entail benefits for all concerned, would never work witohut selfishness.

Secondly, when you say 'recession scenarios' what do you mean? There have been so little drastic recessions in Britain in the 20th century and up to now that you can count them on one hand. Is it really viable to be planning for those rare times? If you mean the down-turn of a economic cycle then we were very knowledgeable in how to deal with them up until the credit crunch, which we could have really planned for as it created a new era of economic thinking.

I'm confused by what you mean about being selfish is bad but being self-sufficient is good?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Btw Big G were you actually being serious about the Muslim comment?

If so - can we segregate high and low income earners so the high income earners don't have to deal with the threat of being mugged by a low income person and the extra time spent security checking the unorganised low income earners suitcase? We pay different tax bands so why not?!

Olgaline

FH is my second home
I'm confused by what you mean about being selfish is bad but being self-sufficient is good?

well if you think that thats one in the same then I'm afraid your in dire trouble. Other than that, All I'll say is that once you realise that you dont need to be selfish to be succsesfull or prosperouse, only then will you begin to realise your own potential, and even more so the potential of the people that suround you. Selfishness is a means to an end sure, but very much an inferior one.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Your reply is certainly warm & fuzzy to the heart Olgaline but many theories and views on the economy work on the idea of being selfish and self-sufficient, rather than not selfish but self-sufficient.

Self-sufficient doesn't always suggest you are competitive or clued up or aiming as high as you can. Being selfish or to put it nicer 'working with your own interests to heart' stimulates you. You want to do good, you want to aim high because you know you will reap the benefits.

You are right - you don't need to be selfish to be successful or prosperous. But those who are selfish will do better over time. Benefits to society are gained through the prosperity of individuals. Competition between individuals encourages development.

The state is there to provide those things which competition and selfishness would not provide adequately i.e health, welfare benefits etc.

Secondly, define selfish and self-sufficient in economics clearly? If I am a farmer and I sell my milk for 2 dollars profit, am I selfish or self-sufficient? If it only takes 1 dollar 50 cents to keep my farm and me intact then that extra 50 cents that I keep is me being selfish?

In fact, I'd go as far to say if you believe an economy can sustain itself globally and nationally through the motto 'self-sufficient NOT selfish' then you have a very ideological view of society.

Some areas to read up on if you are interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_hand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_economicus
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/47/14/40315399.pdf

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Alrighty...

Bring back the dealth penalty for rapists, murders, violent people, drug traffikers and child molesters. The electric chair looming puts the shitters up anyone.

Except it doesn't does it? I think the American experience shows that. The problem you've got is that most people who commit violent crime don't think they'll get caught or lack the imagination to think about the consequences of their actions. Capital punishment doesn't change that. On the other hand, I see no reason to give parole in many cases.

Instant, long jail terms for anyone carrying an offensive weapon. Clearly they're a danger to society, so lets clear them out.

Define "offensive weapon". The problem with that logic is it has nothing to do with intent, and you have to trust the law makers with the policy, which I don't.

The right to defend your own land / property.

Agreed in principle; but this is really about making current laws work properly and making it explicit that invaders of property have no civil rights.

Bring back physical punishment in schools.

I think that ship has sailed. I don't see any practical way to do it. There does need to be an alternative with "teeth" to give teachers some power though.

Seperate disruptive wastes of space into their own schools.

And then what? Its also the kind of thinking that's massively open to abuse by Head Teachers worried about their school's OFSTED ranking.

Slash benefits, particularly for foreigners who come to Treasure Island, sorry, the UK for a free handout. Need benefits to bring up children? You can't afford to have children. We could use some population control anyway.

My perspective on this has changed since I moved. The UK isn't a soft touch for foreigners claiming benefits. Most other EU countires have a much stronger benefits culture. The reason most economic migrants come to the UK isn't to claim benefits but to work (even if its in the black economy) because until quite recently the UK was the one EU country that had vacancies to spare. As for benefits for kids; easy to say "can't afford it, don't have them", but short of forced sterilisation, how do you stop it happening? And once the kids exist, is society just supposed to let them starve? Or maybe we should follow Brazil's example and have the cops do a cull every now and then?

Muslims have their own mortgages, how about their own airline to go with it so they can all fly together? Should save us a fortune on airport security plus the red tape at check in time.

Leaving all those nice infidel aircraft with none of the faithful on board to trouble their concience. This is a stupid idea. Far better to say, "you know what, the odd moron setting fire to his underkrackers is worth the risk". Airport security has nothing to do with Al-Qeada and everything to do with money and fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom