A new swg thread...

K

kinag

I am really considering to buy it, as I am a huge Star Wars fan.

I just want to hear your thoughts about it, and I want to hear it from people who has played it more than 2 days etc.

A friend told me it is no reason to buy it as he have been told my many people and read that it ain't very good.
Is this right?

O

old.Dillinja

Yes. SWG is meant to be very bad. Interesting for 5 minutes then there is nothing after that. That's what I heard anyway.

K

kinag

Got 2 irl friends which plays it though, perhaps that will make it more interesting? exploring with them etc.?

O

old.Dillinja

Possibly. I still wouldn't recommend it though.

F

Fafnir

Play for 3-4 months and then SOE comes and screw you over with more bugs that makes you loose everything.

O

old.Arya

It's boring. Fun for like a week. After that you realize all you do is, master profession x and Y then Z and so on.

Then it is the same as daoc when you hit 50, just there is no RvR. PvP in SWG isn't much fun, too. IMHO.

Only thing you can do when you mastered as many Professions as you could is untrain them and start the "xp'ing" all over again to master another profession. Some people like it tho, but I wouldn't suggest to spend 50 bucks on it.

K

kinag

True, very true ^^

Grown a bit tired, been playing KotOR and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy lately ^^

O

old.Arya

Well at least RvR gave you smething to do :-p And nothing is fun forever.

And I am not paying money again for a game where you do nothing but xp xp xp to profession X just to get bored and do it with profession y all over again :p

That's nothing but a huge timesink. Daoc was one too but it took me a bit longer than 1 week to figure that out. :rolleyes:

And yes " kotor " is way way way more fun :)

K

kinag

My irl friend says it's the best game he have ever tried :eek:
He plays it everyday etc. It can't be all that bad then, can it?

C

Conchabar

i was in beta and apart from the huge number of bugs it was ok.. nothing ground breaking or anything.. wats the harm in trying it.. if ure a big star wars fan u might enjoy it more : >

i enjoyed playing a wookie kekekkee

O

old.Arya

Originally posted by kinag
I just want to hear your thoughts about it, and I want to hear it from people who has played it more than 2 days etc.

Originally posted by kinag
My irl friend says it's the best game he have ever tried :eek:
He plays it everyday etc. It can't be all that bad then, can it?

I just gave you my personal opinion. :) I got it from a friend and glad I didn't spend 50 bucks on it :p Although I have to admit the first 2 weeks were fun :)

N

Nightchill

I'll have a go then.

I was in SWG closed beta (just like I was for EVE, E&B etc.etc.). Going off the beta I didn't buy the release. But I kept tabs on what they'd changed and were planning to change.

The SoE team work very, very hard. It was common to see them up at 3am (their time) still putting out fixes and trying to sort out issues in the beta. Their hand was somewhat forced into releasing it when they did.

Anyway, a little over a month ago I bought the release (and so did my fianceé). Several of the best players from my alb/pryd guild had finished with DAoC and moved over to SWG, so another incentive. We've just started a PA there in fact in one of the player cities.

I'm loving it, people who say "it's only fun for 2 weeks" probably treated it like DAoC. DAoC is about the grind to 50, then (in theory) the fun starts with RvR.

Do you remember UO? You could max your skills out extremely quickly and yet people played the game for years.. With their character not getting more powerful (except in monetary terms). Where was the fun? In UO it was partly in the community and partly in the depth of the system.

SWG has both of those, and a PvP system that is getting on its feet and being balanced. The community is wonderful, everyone is friendly, many people roleplay. Cantinas *are* the social centres. Walking into one and seeing a full band and dance troupe performing (and shockingly it does look and sound good) was a wow moment for me. I'm a "combat class", as much as you can be in swg, and I haven't xpd in the past few days. Not because I'm bored but because there's so many other things to do (and enjoy doing). Player cities, player vendors, shopping malls, you can spend a whole day just shopping for your character.

New players need to just have the right mentality for it and I fear many DAoCers (especially if DAoC was their only mmorpg) don't. Relax, explore all the dungeons, go to the Points of Interest, do the Theme Parks (like Jabbas Palace). Don't get caught up in Holocrons, they'll be fixed eventually. Whatever you do, don't solo. It may be quicker in some cases but it's defeating the point not only of SWG but of a mmorpg itself. With dungeons like The Warren that involve teamwork, problem solving, puzzles and have creepy and twisted plot, I'm still going strong and can't see myself finishing anytime soon.

If you do buy it, have a look at the New Player Advice I posted over on the swg boards here on BW, might help a little. If you've got two other players to start with, you'll love it. It can be a daunting game (you actually need to read the manual shockingly) for a solo new player.

K

kinag

Thanks nightchill, nice to hear that people do enjoy the game. I'm going to buy it if I can summon the money some way :p

Users who are viewing this thread