A few questions from a possible new player

Kracken

Fledgling Freddie
Hi there!

First I'll start with a little background... :p

My first MMO was WoW... I played it for some months until the only thing left to do was grinding... After that I bought Guild Wars... A nice game, but lacks the feeling of a true MMO.

So I've been checking some sites for a new experience. I read that Lineage II is nice, but requires massives amounts of time to go anywhere.
So I came here. But I have some questions...

1. Is it worth it? Is the game still alive and kicking?
2. I'm from Europe (Portugal). Are the European servers well populated?
4. If they're not, can I play on the US servers?
4. Is the game casual firendly? (I'm a bit more than casual, but we'll start like this)
5. I see that I can download the entire game after activating the account. I'm considering this because trying to buy the game here is a quest by itself. The thing is: can I copy the downloaded content to another computer and be able to run it there? (this question comes up because my main computer is not the one I would be downloading the game from).
6. What about the community?
7. Is the game newbie friendly? :p

Sorry about the numbered questions, but's it's easier for me... :p

Thanks in advance for any replies... :)

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
the game has got more busy in the last couple of weeks
I am a casual player tho i play a couple hours every night

The biggest problem you will have is you will spend alot of time soloing till you reach lvl 40+
The community is split you got the casual fun players and the l33t players(not saying the are less fun, i'm not one of them so no idea)

But yeah the game is still fun, and i'm sure there are plenty ppl here who will help you get started, me included

B

Benedictine

1. Is it worth it? Is the game still alive and kicking? - Yes but it is mature so expect to pve solo occaisonally
2. I'm from Europe (Portugal). Are the European servers well populated? Yes - Im sure someone will posta recent population graph for you
4. If they're not, can I play on the US servers? Yes but you will need a US account - EU accounts cant play on US and vice versa
4. Is the game casual firendly? (I'm a bit more than casual, but we'll start like this) More so than it used to be - you should get hold of the catacombs expansion for quicker pve levelling if PvP is your thing - if not theres lots of quests and Trials Of Atlantis quests to do - there's also a new tutorial for complete newbies. Interaction is pretty instinctive I think (though I have been playing on and off for about 4-5 years)
5. I see that I can download the entire game after activating the account. I'm considering this because trying to buy the game here is a quest by itself. The thing is: can I copy the downloaded content to another computer and be able to run it there? (this question comes up because my main computer is not the one I would be downloading the game from). Don't see why not
6. What about the community? :flame: and :fluffle: as every other MMO
7. Is the game newbie friendly? :p see above

You can trial it for free (I think the offer's still on) though it doesn't include cata expansion. Darkness Rising is another expansion if you fancy a bit more fluff

If you are more pvp orientated try Glastonbury the EU Alternative Ruleset server - quicker pve without Trials of Atlantis Master levels

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
It is still alive and kicking imho, not as many as it used to be and could new a little boost to be perfect population wise.

We could use a boost, but the US servers aint that much better

If you want, yes!, you need to buy US serials for the game through!

4. Is the game casual firendly? (I'm a bit more than casual, but we'll start like this)
Yes, they have improved the game a lot for casuals lately, the only real problem you should meet as a new player are very high prices if you roll on the cluster (Prydwen and/or Excalibur) on crafted items, which you will be needing when level 50. Other prices are high too, but those items can be farmed..

5. I see that I can download the entire game after activating the account. I'm considering this because trying to buy the game here is a quest by itself. The thing is: can I copy the downloaded content to another computer and be able to run it there? (this question comes up because my main computer is not the one I would be downloading the game from).
Yes, you can even install the game and then just drag and drop the folder..

We rock dude!

Unfortunatly not so much as it used to, as this game, more than WoW, is a group game, everything in this game is easier with a group, much much much easier, but there are not many leveling normaly anymore, as most is either playing their level 50 (top level) characters, or PowerLeveling their new toons (using lvl 50 characters to speed it up), so the grinding will be hard, but to counter this they have in recent years added new features that generally speed up leveling, so it wont take longer than it did for people back in the beginning of the game, but you will be much more solo most likely, finding a guild accepting lowbies will help you big time!

Kracken

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the quick replies...
As for the solo leveling... I doesn't scare me at all... :D
The doubts I still have are about the servers... I see some expansions released already. Are they all available in every server? Or are some "disabled" (as you seem to mention) on some servers? My idea is to get the most out of the game... :p

B

Benedictine

Kracken said:
The doubts I still have are about the servers... I see some expansions released already. Are they all available in every server? Or are some "disabled" (as you seem to mention) on some servers? My idea is to get the most out of the game... :p

All expansions are available on all servers with the exception of Glastonbury (which does not use Trials of Atlantis - which is a time sink as far as some people are concerned - i.e. those who would rather do less pve)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Kracken said:

Prydwen/Excalibur cluster servers (2 servers sharing some zones) use all expansions that have come out - basic game, shrouded isles, housing expansion, trials of atlantis, new frontiers (all those are free), catacombs, darkness rising (last two you have to buy).

Glastonbury uses everything except Trials of Atlantis, an expansion that added alot to the powerlevels of level 50 characters, thus forcing people to do its contents if they wanted to compete in pvp. Glastonbury also has penalties on buffing (must be in range of the buffer for buffs to have effect, must be in a group with the buffer etc) to create a fairer pvp climate.

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
There are always lots of ppl ready to help out a new player no matter what realm you choose.

Hibernia are the "underpopulated" realm atm which means u get free level more often, higher exp and more realm points.

Just post a message when u have choosen realm and u will see there is plenty of ppl that will help u out with questions etc.

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
Kracken said:
Hi there!

First I'll start with a little background... :p

My first MMO was WoW... I played it for some months until the only thing left to do was grinding... After that I bought Guild Wars... A nice game, but lacks the feeling of a true MMO.

So I've been checking some sites for a new experience. I read that Lineage II is nice, but requires massives amounts of time to go anywhere.
So I came here. But I have some questions...

Sorry about the numbered questions, but's it's easier for me... :p

Thanks in advance for any replies... :)
1. yes game is still fine. obviously not the pop it was 2-4 years ago but its still running strong.
2.as above. and dont bother with usa servers they will be low pop when u are online.
3. as above.
4.yea its casual friendly. if you expect to beat the hardcore element of rvr in rvr then casual gaming dont cut it tbh. but you will find MANY low RR people whome u can have good clean fights with. pve solo is ok and reasonably quick now with Task Dungeons & lots of quests
5. might be a tad large to cd-write it.i'd recomend downloading it to comp u want it on. gonna go there anyways so why not downlaod it there?
6. Community is great.. ofc you get the dicks in every realm/server/community "no online game would be the same without the server twat in it"
7. see #4

In My opinion... as a Brand new starter Try out the Classic Server "Glastonbury" its is More newbie friendly and DEFINATLY more casual friendly .. altho some toa nuts will say toa servers r better for casual gamers then IMO they are deluding themselves just to get a bigger pop on those servers, cos all TOA is is classic without the toa. and the best reason IMO . on clasic your not gonna face RR7-10+ Chars constantly.

Kracken

Fledgling Freddie
Well, after these replies, I'll be trying the game out! :D
I'm downloading Catacombs at the moment, and I assume it contains all the previous expansions (with a 2.7G download it better have :p). As for Darkness Rising. Is it worth purchasing right from the start, or is it aimed at the high level player?
Sorry for all the questions, but I would really like to know these basics before starting... :)

Tilda

Catas will be fine, darkness rising really only effects play over lvl 40or even 50, so dont worry about it.
Do you have a trial account, if not, pm me your email address and i'll send you a cd key.
Depending on which realm/server you go on, I can give you some cash/items to get you started.
be aware that the trial account only goes up to toa, to get the benefit of catas, you'll need to pay £9 to "buy" the catas lisence, thus changing your trial account into a full account (although still with only a limited number of free days)
If you dont want to do that, you'd need to alter your update.dat file once your finished downloaded to alter a few files to be the older toa engine, which is what the free trials use.

Hope this makes sense.

Tilda

Dorimor1

Banned
--Is it worth it? Is the game still alive and kicking?--
It certainly is.
--I'm from Europe (Portugal). Are the European servers well populated?--
Yes still quite populated
--If they're not, can I play on the US servers?--
You can
--Is the game casual firendly? (I'm a bit more than casual, but we'll start like this)--
It depends really. If you'll talking about pve fairly, there has been a new patch which makes it extremely easy to get kitted out, you just gotta get to 50 solo :<
--I see that I can download the entire game after activating the account. I'm considering this because trying to buy the game here is a quest by itself. The thing is: can I copy the downloaded content to another computer and be able to run it there? (this question comes up because my main computer is not the one I would be downloading the game from).--
I think so
--What about the community?--
Good community
--Is the game newbie friendly?--
Not as it used to be but there will be people (including myself) willing to help you out

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Always nice to see new people in the game. Don't be afraid to ask questions here or in the newbie section, I'm sure there is alot of people around willing to help :)

Kracken

Fledgling Freddie
I'll probably go with a full subscription once the download ends... Since I've read (and believe) that 14 days aren't enough to get a true feel of the game (and since I will only be playing for a few hours a day, it makes sense).
As for the cash/items... Thank you very much... :D Maybe I'll accept your offer. :)

Tilda

Kracken said:
I'll probably go with a full subscription once the download ends... Since I've read (and believe) that 14 days aren't enough to get a true feel of the game (and since I will only be playing for a few hours a day, it makes sense).
As for the cash/items... Thank you very much... :D Maybe I'll accept your offer. :)
you may as well use up the 14 free days, afterall they're free! However, yes, you are unlikley to get a good feel of RvR, atleast until your 48 or even 50.
If you roll on hib/glast, i can give you cash, items, and even group/talk to you.
If you roll alb excal, I can give you items, but i'm not playing activley there, so doubt I could group with you much. If its anywhere else you'll need to beg for it from other players :p
Glast is probably the best place to be leveling up, as there are still lots of people leveling. With excal/pryd, there are far fewer people imo.

Edlina

Can't get enough of FH
Well the 14 days are free, so you could get 1½ months subscribtion for the price of 1 months, no reason not to, if you ask me.

You should really accept the help you can get, lvl'ing to 50 is pretty easy with catacombs solo, but it's not wow easy, and it's not as fun or fast as playing in groups

pez

Can't get enough of FH
tbh i wouldn't go round begging for stuff, not exactly the best way to make friends

But join a big guild and you will find lots of people willing to level and help you :)

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Once you've decided where you're going to play, just drop a post either here or on the relevant forum section and you'll quite likely get lots of offers of help.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here yet. If you decide to play Albion on one of the clustered servers (Excalibur/Prydwen) you will be restricted to the same realm on the other half of the cluster.

To try explain the above a bit better. You log in and choose Prydwen as your server, then choose Albion as your realm. If you then decide to go play on Excalibur, you will also have to play Albion.

The other servers are either French language, German language or the Classic (Glastonbury is the English language Classic server).
On that server you are also restricted to one realm, the same as any single server, however you could choose to play Hibernia or Midgard on that as it's not clustered.

/em apologises for the long post if you knew all of the above already :)

Kracken

Fledgling Freddie
Well I got to 60 in WoW without begging, so here it won't be any different.
For what I can understand, realms are like factions (or kingdoms), right? Hence the impossibility to play both on the same server (or cluster).

You've all been very helpfull, and for that I thank you.
I'll probably go for the English Classic server, as it seems to gather the most concensus... :p

As for the trial account, I received an e-mail with the CD Keys, but they didn't mention Catacombs... Only ToA (and some other I can't remember now... a previous one). Is this normal?

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Kracken said:
Well I got to 60 in WoW without begging, so here it won't be any different.
For what I can understand, realms are like factions (or kingdoms), right? Hence the impossibility to play both on the same server (or cluster).

You've all been very helpfull, and for that I thank you.
I'll probably go for the English Classic server, as it seems to gather the most concensus... :p

As for the trial account, I received an e-mail with the CD Keys, but they didn't mention Catacombs... Only ToA (and some other I can't remember now... a previous one). Is this normal?

Exactly right yes. You can play different realms on different servers but unfortunately if you're an English language speaker, you're now restricted to just two - the cluster of Prydwen/Excalibur and Glastonbury.

I think the trial should be up to Trials of Atlantis, so it will include Shrouded Isles as well as the New Frontiers and Housing Zone.

Catacombs and Darkness Rising are the two latest expansions.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Yes the trial account only goes up to the TOA expansion (which you won't see if you go to "classic" server) the following expansions also you won't see - Cata's and Darkness Rising - these make the game bigger/better etc imo and the gfx improve as well.

The only thing I think that can't be explained is how much better the game becomes at lvl 50 - RvR time !! Where other games seem to leave you with little to do once you hit level cap , this is a constantly changing warzone to keep you entertained as well as the usual PvE options if you get bored - and if you like PvE then don't go classic as you miss out on TOA which has the more varied PvE aspects of all the expansions imo. (don't get me wrong I don't play classic and personally not a PvE lover but TOA was different enough to make me appreicate it tbh)

Anyway all I can say is enjoy dude !

And if you end up on Alb Pryd/Excal server gimme a pm and I also would be happy to dig up some stuff for you to get you on ya way*!

*shameless plug to get another one into our clutches muhahahaha!!

B

Benedictine

evzy said:
Yes the trial account only goes up to the TOA expansion (which you won't see if you go to "classic" server) the following expansions also you won't see - Cata's and Darkness Rising - these make the game bigger/better etc imo and the gfx improve as well.

The only thing I think that can't be explained is how much better the game becomes at lvl 50 - RvR time !! Where other games seem to leave you with little to do once you hit level cap , this is a constantly changing warzone to keep you entertained as well as the usual PvE options if you get bored - and if you like PvE then don't go classic as you miss out on TOA which has the more varied PvE aspects of all the expansions imo. (don't get me wrong I don't play classic and personally not a PvE lover but TOA was different enough to make me appreicate it tbh)

Anyway all I can say is enjoy dude !

And if you end up on Alb Pryd/Excal server gimme a pm and I also would be happy to dig up some stuff for you to get you on ya way*!

*shameless plug to get another one into our clutches muhahahaha!!

RVR in DAOC is kinda similar to WoW ?Warsong Gulch Ithink its called - the big instance where both sides fight it out for towers etc.

Kracken

Fledgling Freddie
The biggest battleground where players fight is Alteran Valley. It's 40vs40... The problem with PvP in WoW is that it's just another grind to Rank 14. Once you get there... Well... It's over. :p
Oh, needless to say that, to get there, you might as well dedicate your entire life to it... Say goodbye to your friend and/or family...

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
No restrictions on RvR in DAOC other than what the server can handle / your pc can handle without lagging out.. The higher you progress in RvR - you get realm points for kills or being involved in kills , or for mezzing / healing etc, which the points you earn allow you to get new skills etc - you will be at it for years tbh!!

Healer classes get a lot of realm point love now - get points for healing and rezzing dead realm mates, as well as rp's for being involved in kills (alright if you spec say Smite as well :) )

B

Benedictine

Kracken said:
The biggest battleground where players fight is Alteran Valley. It's 40vs40... The problem with PvP in WoW is that it's just another grind to Rank 14. Once you get there... Well... It's over. :p
Oh, needless to say that, to get there, you might as well dedicate your entire life to it... Say goodbye to your friend and/or family...

Yes that's precisely why my 60 priest is gathering dust - you want to take 3 months off the game - sure, we'll just remove half of your hard earned skills/armour etc!

Himse

FH is my second home
i tried WoW and there i just found it kinda boring, the pve was nice, but uff, not my game.

Deff come to daoc, its a really nice game, with good rvr.

Any idea on what class you wish to play?

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
I think it would be a great shame to cut yourself off from all the things the TOA expansion has to see, do and get. There are those who whine about it, but in truth it is a great expansion, with tons of content that I think it would be a shame not to try out. Play real DAOC, not DAOC Lite!

:cheers:

Kracken

Fledgling Freddie
I started already... :p
I'm a Briton Necromancer. Level 3!!! :D
I only have a problem with casting... Is it just me or it gets interrupted as hell??

EDIT: Oh and I'm on the English Classic server.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
I think you're making the right decision starting on classic as the other guys won't have as much of a head start on you in RvR. I think wherever you start, be it Midgard, Albion or Hibernia you will get a warm welcome if you join a guild at the beginning.

THere's a good newbie guide here but if you type /a in game, you will be able to talk to advisors who can give you advice on what classes to play, etc :)

Also lots of information here.

If you decide to start on Midgard Glastonbury then give me a yell (/who Rigante and ask for Naetha) and I can sort you out with some cash/items/advice to help you level :)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Nice cartoon about WOW:

pvp20060412.gif

PVPO rocks :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom