Help A few days off

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Look, I even used one of those rubbish prefixes too.

In a couple of weeks a have 5 days off. I like to travel, just for the sake of it.
I'm thinking about -

Buggering off down the west country, standing in some spiritual places, and also seeing the tank museum, the motorcycle museum, etc.

Or getting on the channel tunnel, and doing a blast up into Belgium, into Holland, into Germany then back through France to England.

Or (maybe the most mental) driving across France to Italy then coming back :)

Any suggestions to aid one of these journeys? I'll either be going on my bike, a 1500cc Harley Davidson, or my car, an aging 3.7 petrol Jeep.

If you dont know me, I like guns, bikes and history stuff.

Go on, gimme some ideas :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Weather's crap here in NL atm. Lots of wind/rain, only short sunny spells. Going to last for another couple of days at least :/

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
You'll be travelling alone? Second option sounds good, take the jeep though imo if doing a journey that long, more comfortable, even though the harley would be more badass ;)

I would like to do something like that, doubt I've got the balls to do it though on my own especially since I've got a crappy old Fiesta hehe. Would love to see some pics of your trip when your back.

Off topic : I was in Crawley today, went go-karting there, was good fun :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
No not alone, with my best mate / wife :)

The weather has been shite lately, or I wouldnt even be thinking of the car :(

It's the start of August I'm going. If it's Europe again, I've thought of Armhem, and also the Ardennes stuff, but not much else!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
In a couple of weeks...
...for another couple of days at least...
Time noob. :)

The south of France is pretty crazy weather-wise right now. Yesterday was 32 degrees and not a breeze to be had then it broke in the night and it's been raining all day, cold and super blustery. It should all have sorted itself out by August though, it usually does.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Harley + camping gear + Westcountry and maybe going up north to the lakes = win

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
No not alone, with my best mate / wife :)

The weather has been shite lately, or I wouldnt even be thinking of the car :(

It's the start of August I'm going. If it's Europe again, I've thought of Armhem, and also the Ardennes stuff, but not much else!

oh, start of August would prolly have ace weather in the NL mate, sorry I misread your earlier post (thanks caLLous :))

if you feel like Arnhem, there's tonnes of war stuff as you can imagine, and if you're on the bike, there's loads of nice nature-ish rides you can get out and go see, as well as plenty of terraces and things you can have a few pints on :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Harley + camping gear + Westcountry and maybe going up north to the lakes = win

I do like this idea, I've not done it for years, and its really cheap too! I'd miss out the Lakes though, it's bound to rain there :)

oh, start of August would prolly have ace weather in the NL mate, sorry I misread your earlier post (thanks caLLous :))

if you feel like Arnhem, there's tonnes of war stuff as you can imagine, and if you're on the bike, there's loads of nice nature-ish rides you can get out and go see, as well as plenty of terraces and things you can have a few pints on :)

I also really like the Arnhem idea, I've never been there, would be fascinating.

The weather will play a big part in where we go, this summer is a bit of a disaster weather-wise lately :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Weather seems to be a bit gash all over Europe at the moment, so its difficult. Can't go wrong with France on a bike though; down to Dijon/Burgundy in the east (great roads off the Autoroute), or the Loire Valley in the West (I'd say going all the way south would be a bit much if you only have five days).

If it wasn't for the crappy weather I'd recommend Ireland. You can get off the ferry in Dublin in and be in Galway and Connemara in 2.5 hours these days, and when its not pissing down (well, when it is as well), its absolutely beautiful.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Weather seems to be a bit gash all over Europe at the moment, so its difficult. Can't go wrong with France on a bike though; down to Dijon/Burgundy in the east (great roads off the Autoroute), or the Loire Valley in the West (I'd say going all the way south would be a bit much if you only have five days).

If it wasn't for the crappy weather I'd recommend Ireland. You can get off the ferry in Dublin in and be in Galway and Connemara in 2.5 hours these days, and when its not pissing down (well, when it is as well), its absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for the suggestions, yeah I've been south as far as San Sebastian on a bike, then over to Barcelona then back through Toulouse. Took 6 days to do 2800 miles, including the travelling in England (we left from Plymouth). But that was done on a lot of motorways at between 90 and 130 mph, my Harley is more of an 80 mph cruising kind of bike, so as you say I doubt I'd have enough time for that kind of journey. My wife rather unreasonably wants to see things as well, which means I may have to stop for a bit here and there :)

Ireland looks lovely, but as you say the weather isnt so much unreliable as reliably shit :D

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'm just back from Sandwich for The Open. Sideways, relentless rain all day long. The drive back to Caledonia was terrible with thundery showers, looks like it's going to stay that way across much of north Europe :(.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Sidenote - did you rent any nice big white lenses for the golf, G? :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
I'm just back from Sandwich for The Open. Sideways, relentless rain all day long. The drive back to Caledonia was terrible with thundery showers, looks like it's going to stay that way across much of north Europe :(.

So you were one of the mugs me and my housemates were chuckling at sat in the rain with an antisocially large umbrella. And paid for the priv as well :D

old.user4556

Sidenote - did you rent any nice big white lenses for the golf, G? :)

I didn't! :( - although I had planned to shoot on the practice day last year at St Andrews, but that was an absolute wash out too. Will need to wait until 2013 at Muirfield (just outside Edinburgh) for that next chance, we've decided to knock 2012 on the head.

old.user4556

So you were one of the mugs me and my housemates were chuckling at sat in the rain with an antisocially large umbrella. And paid for the priv as well :D

Nah we had full waterproofs on, the place was like an umbrella graveyard, was rather amusing :D. We watched McIlroy, Garcia and Fowler come through the first when someone's brolly on the opposite side of the green 'exploded' over adjacent spectators. I'm sure I saw them mouthing "ffffff".

There was a beer and champagne tent, so it wasn't all bad, but I can't say I enjoyed it much other than that.

Kent is nice.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Lake district. Nice long stretches of road without speed bumps and plenty of places to overtake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom