A Digital Camera/Camcorder!

GotLove

Fledgling Freddie
I'm looking to buy a digital Camera/Camcorder but knowing nothing about them I'm asking for a little bit of help. I don't want to spend a huge amount on one but I want something that will do it's job resonably well so if anyone can suggest anywhere to buy it and/or a nice one I would be very grateful. Thanks

Cyradix

FH is my second home
You can't go wrong with a canon/nikon/olympus

Bought a Nikon Coolpix 5200 myself this week. I'm very happy with it....

A good 4 megapixel camera will cost around 350-400 euro (here in belgium)
5 megapixels will set you back 450-500 euro...

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
I think first you have to decide if you want moving pictures. If so then obviously it's a discussion about which camcorder. If only occaisionally, for fun, so quality not important then some digi cameras can do limited moving image and sound, but obviously they are designed for photo really.

Not looked at camcorders meself, but have got a digi camera and have done some research before I bought it ;)

With digi cameras the questions to ask are the same as normal cameras, i.e. what sort of photography are you after: point and click fun snaps or the ability to get a bit more serious? You can get cheap cameras for snaps (under £100), and yuo can pay lots for hid res with lots of toys (£500+).

If you want to print good photo quality pictures, on normal photo size, then a 3megapixel camera is the thing to aim for. More megapixels means you can print larger images.

Another thing to look out for is the zoom. Optical is good, digital not so good as it is done at the expense of picture quality.

For quality pics a quality brand helps. If you pick a brand that is known for imaging (like canon, olympus, kodak, Fujifilm) you will probably get a decent camera.

Some digicams do limited time moving pictures, but not always with sound. Some do sound as well, and some will record a moving image until your memory is full. But quality will be low.

There are other things to look at: type of memory it takes, type of battery, size, weight, functions, and so on.

You should be able to get a cheap snaps camera for under £100
A decent 3megapixel for under £150
If you are lucky (like I was) then something even better for not much more :)

SO... what do you want to do with it, and how much is your budget?

Specific recommendations.....
My mate has a Fujifilm 3.2megapixel camera, and the pictures he prints are fantastic (never guess they were not "proper" photos).
I have a 5megapixel Kodak, and it has been producing some very high quality images.

GotLove

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks

Thanks for the help, I'll probably got for a ~3 Megapixel one, I just want one for fun but I want it to last a while so if they print nice quality pic that sounds good to me!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom