A constructive suggestion for future events

O

old.Jable

Last nights event had various flaws, but it wasnt all bad. With a little tweaking, the idea of an "event" could be enjoyable for all involved.

Many months ago, a friend of mine was involved in testing this event (or one very like it) in the battlegrounds with a number of other players, from the other realms too.

This surely means that they have been planning it for that time. I cannot understand why they have to spend so much time doing the build-up for it, over so long a period of time, then have 1 evening where no-one really knows what they are doing, plus allowing griefers the ability to kill the other realms inside the event.

Why could GOA not make the BG a peace-zone for mids/albs/hibs to be able to fight side by side? Why could there not be event overseers that could translate between the different languages of the realm players at the event? Why were the only people able to talk between realm on IRC??

Why did they make it so damn hard and so frustrating at the same time? No one knew what we had to do properly. At one point, the Mids/Albs/Hibs all got into the HPK. The albs got the final blow on the chieftain, so it became an Alb fort. So the Mids/Hibs all killed the Alb Chief and by the time anyone knew what was happening, the Purples were back killing us all.

Why couldnt there be an emmisary for each realm conveying some form of instruction to the people playing?

Also, you could now think that GOA have the ability to take one of the BG's offline, and set up unique encounters there. Why cant this be done more regularly anyway - why does there have to be 12 months of literature on the website, before there is one event lasting one evening? Personally i would rather see a fortnightly update on the website and an event every weekend at some point.

Maybe with enough practice, GOA could get good at them, allowing them to make the events enjoyable rather than annoying.

::::edited for less whine, and slight harshness debuff

G

Graknak

another option could be to give everyone a mediallion/medal for being on the raid helping kill the boss, then the npc who ported you gives a reward for it for the class of your choice. But to make glowers not too common make the weapons non glow and Uv same as that of non oc'd MP AF 51. The weps should however be different from current drops (new model etc.) so it's still something special from the event. That way we won't have this "My Precious" scene again as it ain't good for the realms morale nor does it give the server a community feeling when it comes to that.

F

Flimgoblin

the one we tested ages ago was very different ...

but the event here was pretty damned cool :) course a few things that need working on ;)

Hope the amount of whining on BW doesn't dissuade them from doing another event like this :)

O

old.Ramas

Only thing they really needed to do different imo was give the uber weapons 0 durability, increased rate decay, and possibly, < 100% condition.

Peace zones where we can speak to each other probably aren't a good idea; but what would be good is some kind of 'prisoners dilemma' setup.

Example... in one bg type zone....

1) Killing enemy realm players gives double normal RP.
2) Completing various realm cooperative tasks gives server wide gold/xp bonuses for the next month.
3) Completing various realm specific objectives that are mutally exclusive with the co-operative objectives gives bonuses that are smaller and single realm only for the next month.

You could run similar events on a semi-regular basis, set the early ones up so that the server is likely to succeed at the co-op objectives, then steadily ratchet up the temptation for one realm to betray the other 2 each time.

Eventually the mids will then screw over the other two realms and everyone has a flame war on BW. Hurrah.

O

old.Ramas

Incidentally, my wildest dream for ToA was much like my suggestion in the last post.

Don't have direct combat, but have the realms able to contribute to a common effort that has server wide effects, and set it up so the realms can either co-operate for maximum benefit, or just screw each other over.

O

old.Twonker

Originally posted by old.Ramas
and set it up so the realms can either co-operate for maximum benefit, or just screw each other over.

all you'd need is a few greifters to ruin the thing, cant have that many people all agree to work together out of the goodness of their unselfish hearts

O

old.mattshanes

I think the event was to see how well co-op server would be maybe? yeah the items were overpowered but it was fun for most people, although you had the odd few in each realm causing problems, heh next time perhaps if they try an event like this again put a kill limit then not let them back in due to it being a co-op event.People play the game differently i know that but things like these come once in a while so:)

K

kemor

Just for the record, we didn't "plan" on the fact that realms would ally against the enemies and on some servers, realms are fighting each other more than against the inhabitants of Heimaey. It was up to players to ally, fight or do whatever they wanted. :cool:

Oh, and Prydwen & Excalibur were the first servers Europe wide to clear the threat of Black Queen, nice one :clap:

O

old.Jable

hmmm so we werent supposed to go cooperative?

interesting, very interesting :m00:

N

ning

Originally posted by old.Jable
hmmm so we werent supposed to go cooperative?

interesting, very interesting :m00:

"It was up to players to ally, fight or do whatever they wanted."

S

ssera

Originally posted by ning
"It was up to players to ally, fight or do whatever they wanted."

exactly, GOA set the scene, but it's up to us (the players) to do what we want in it. None of the EU servers are Co-op and so this was not a Co-op campaign. Of course, all the realms allying themselves to fight a common enemy was the idea, but people really need to start using their brains more often and not ask GOA to spoon-feed them everything.

O

old.Jable

yeah, in other words we werent supposed to. we could make up our own minds but it wasnt planned that we specifically would. still, thanks for correcting me, ill sleep better now. :m00: :sleeping: :m00:

O

old.Jable

lol @ spoon feeding

i was in the event for 3 hours last night. it was havoc, hardly enjoyable and could have been done so much better imo. no one really knew what they were doing, and most of the hibbies all left because of this. now its full of mids and still no one really knows what they are doing.

and i dont want spoonfeeding. its one thing working out how to do a boss. its another doing it with 2 realms on your back and griefers messin with ya.

S

ssera

Originally posted by old.Jable
lol @ spoon feeding

i was in the event for 3 hours last night. it was havoc, hardly enjoyable and could have been done so much better imo. no one really knew what they were doing, and most of the hibbies all left because of this. now its full of mids and still no one really knows what they are doing.

and i dont want spoonfeeding. its one thing working out how to do a boss. its another doing it with 2 realms on your back and griefers messin with ya.

Sure I understand your point, but there's not much GOA could do about it. Sure there are a lot of things wrong, the main one in my eyes being the poor continuity between the various campaign events. This meant that people forgot what had happened in the past and in effect treated this as a separate campaign from the one which has been going on for so long now... Hopefully future events will be a lot shorter and not last over a year, or at least have a clear plot-line for all to follow. As we've seen with the new GOA quests though, they like people to use their brains, and not just "click" "click" "kill mob" "click" "get reward" through a quest.

As for griefers, well, like I said: this isn't a co-op server, and the 3 realms ARE at war with one another. It is up to the players to ensure a cease-fire, not GOA. The fact that you only got bg2 rps for a kill disuaded most people from random ganking, but of course there are still those people severely lacking in the brain-cell department who thought it would be fun.

Personally I didn't get ganked by anyone, though those counter-spells seriously impaired my ability as a RM. By and large I didn't see too much ganking either, only people killing the griefers. By this I mean killing one specific hib who had killed a mid beforehand, while his other fellow hibs looked on.

S

Solarius

there were some griefers thats true, and i hope that doesn't take away from the event. Personally I had alot of fun, was killed twice by players, but at the end of the day most players joined in the cooperation spirit, and left with a few memories of the day the realms united (sort of)

O

old.Jable

i would like to say that i was one of the people who really bought into the "Quests set by the Gamesmasters" blurb on the back of the original DAOC box :p and have been looking forward to them since then (only 19 months).

we are agreed that we like events, they are good. but the campaigns need to be faster paced (its not like anyone will miss anything if they are done faster, most of the people playing in this one had no idea what was going on and that was a slow campaign, it cant be any worse).

we are also agreed that last nights event was ambiguous and chaotic (not to mention suicidal in the most part), which in this game makes alot of people stop and go elsewhere after a short period of time. it also had the effect that once some people had left, numbers dwindled very fast because it became obvious that it wasn't possible to take part without a vast force.

everyone deserves a second chance though, and im sure GOA will sort it out. i kinda feel bad for not really liking it, but id feel worse leading them on and telling them it was completely great.

J

jaapi

Originally posted by ssera
As for griefers, well, like I said: this isn't a co-op server, and the 3 realms ARE at war with one another. It is up to the players to ensure a cease-fire, not GOA.
Bullshit. We all know that players can't make that decision. Some will always ruin it for the others, that's why it's up to GOA.

O

old.Jable

yeah i was fighting a purple con mob with a load of middies but we werent damaging it and the main tank troll was taking alot of damage himself.

i realised that some of the mids may have been holding back so i got out of the way, and their mages stepped up and pbed until it was dead, real nice of them to let their tank take damage rather than blowing me to pieces :D

/salute

D

Driwen

part of the fun was that we could damage the other realms. Earlier today wandered off to atk, found that mobs had retaken it and found an alb retake force there. Now just started helping albs wack those mobs. To be honest its a weird feeling being the only mid within 5 fg of albs and not being harmed :).

btw go us for completing the campaign first :clap:

O

old.Zeikerd

I think there should be loads of small events all around the realms all of different levels every day atleast one.

I imagine it like this: a gamemaster diguised as a in game character approaches a group somewhere xping in the realm and he asks their help to do something and then the event starts.

W

Whoodoo_RD

I missed the main action on the main night, but heres my 2c worth:

The event needed to have a little more input from the participating NCPs, they spoke way too little for the amount of time they spent wondering round looking all worried, and this could have made the roll play a little more inciteful.

For the other parts there was no reward, no indication that we acheived a goal and nothing to point us into the next part, in fact the story behind it revolved outside of the game and didnt reside with its characters. IMO reading web sites with this info on shouldnt really be necessary.

The drops, yes they were the muts nuts, but at one point I think someone said there were close to 250 ppl in the event. Id rather see more get something out of it, and lower level ppl never benefit from events like this either, why do drops have to be level 51 items? And all the mobs too hard for lowbies.

All in all an enjoiyable time was had from most of what i have heard and seen, nice one on the coop all, i have to say that was the highlight of what I saw, sorry to all i mezzed too, but it did seem to stop everyine fighting each other and focus more onthe event :)

Hopefully some decent input will happen here, and the next event will be something worth waiting for.

O

old.Ramas

Originally posted by jaapi
Bullshit. We all know that players can't make that decision. Some will always ruin it for the others, that's why it's up to GOA.

Depends entirely on the organisation level of the realms.

Some realms/servers will succeed, some will fail. That's the point.

The idea that an MMORPG has to assume the lowest comon denominator of asshat is not a given.

W

Whoodoo_RD

Originally posted by jaapi
Despite your flame, I think all went well as we cooperated exceedingly during the final stages.

On that note, you couldnt be more wrong if you tried.

S

scarffs

Cease-fire wasnt even Goa's intention.
How does it happen in the real world ? Some people make cease-fire and others plant bombs to ruin it. Thats the way it is.

But Pryd and Excal worked very well together ( realms i mean ) so all in all here seems to be a good peace-spirit.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have it last more then one evening :).

S

svartmetall

Well Camlann's dead anyway, why not make it a co-op server?

N

ning

Originally posted by svartmetall
Well Camlann's dead anyway, why not make it a co-op server?

850 players on Camlann the evening. I don't call that a dead server.

H

hercules-df

The npc who gives the port there shouldve had 1 extra line in his spam of shit about the story, This spell will allow you mighty warrior communicate with enemy realms, be warned it will only take effect within <name of event zone>. Wouldve made it much more enjoyable.

If not that then a cmd /noattack which totally ignores enemy realms players, at least we could all pbaoe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom