A comment on the Friday News

R

Roo Stercogburn

No, not a spoof this time, sorry folks.

This is something I've noticed for a very long time now. I commented on it recently but I think very little has changed.

Its been quite some time I think since anyone even bothered to ask where is the Friday News. This may reflect a lack of interest on the part of some jaded players, but I think there's also a few other parts to it.

In times gone by, the Friday News would often appear by lunchtime (not in the Douglas Adams sense, but not far off) and if it didn't appear you'd usually have a thread appearing asking where's the news etc.

Been a very long time now since I've seen anyone actually bothered if the News appears or not.

Why?

Well for a start GOA post it last thing on a Friday now. Most heated debating seems to get done while people are working (!) or during the day when peeps want a bit of web bufoonery for a break here or there.

I think the other reason (and yes, this is a very direct smack at GOA) is because the Friday News has become fairly meaningless to the community.

It says nothing about anything generally. If you check the content of the News for quite some time now, its mostly re-worded snippets from the Camelot Herald, which I think most people go look at anyway directly to find out what is coming.

Having GOA post "Here's something you're not getting for a very long time" is actually a bit silly of them. Though its fair enough to be told of these things, its fairly obvious that its a slap dash approach to showing some interest in the community without actually making any effort to take part in that community.

Its a massively multiplayer game. This is not like other games where people just load it up, blast baddies by themselves for a few hours then go away. Its the type of game that generates a communuty around itself and needs that community to thrive therefore any company that is serious about keeping that community alive has to *actively* make that effort not only to be a part of it but to be *seen* to be part of it.

GOA's track record in feedback to the community is nothing short of appalling, its the only area I really have a problem with them. The GMs seem to do a good enough job in-game from what little I know, but the public face of GOA is one with egg on its chin from the various calamities they've brought on themselves over time.

They would serve themselves much better by making a stronger effort to show a friendlier face to the community.

A copy and paste Friday News is pretty much a symptom of this casual attitude to the people that pay their bills.

Tips good, warnings of scams good, updates on patch progress good (though I have to qualify that one. Its fairly obvious there's no news on this, each Friday News has a variant on "We're working on it" and thats about all).

GOA, improve your Friday News by making a stronger effort to be part of the community and making at least a part of the news regularly things from within the community. If not part of the news, then do it in another way, you aren't short of webspace there.

And please stop simply recycling news from elsewhere, its fairly obvious. Post a link to the source in a single paragraph instead of making filler-news.

T

Tesla Monkor

Or it might just be that the guy who normally writes the news is home sick at the moment, and the monkeys left behind thought that adding that bit to the news was cool. ;)

R

Roo Stercogburn

Actually, its a trend. I think I've seen 2 references to community in last several months: The Humberton News and Tesla's LGM mania. Thats about it ;)

The off-day thing is only valid when its the exception ;)

I was quite hopeful when some kind of awareness of what went on their servers was shown, but I'm not letting them off the hook if they're just going to drop the ball again and be blatantly lazy with the *only* feedback the entire community gets.

A

Addlcove

I was actually wondering

WTF IS UP WITH THE SMILEYS????

did they hire some AOL/MSN chatroom monkey to do news for them???

have anyone EVER seen a smiley in a mythic newspost?

O

old.Glendower

That is a pretty good analysis.

My reasons for not bothering with the news are:

1) the page takes forever to load.
2) GOA is totally full of crap and lies anyway
3) reading thier broken english makes me gag.

I check it if nobody bothers to post it here about once a month....bit less.

O

old.Kerosene

I do care and would post, but as with 99.99% of all posts on BW, it would make no damn difference and prolly end up into a nerf savages flame or something.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by SoulFly Amarok
Smilies are irrelevant.

smilies are unproffessional

it´s like a big company having gif animations on their webpage.. that just screams

"we didn´t wanna spend money on this so the secretaries son made it"

smilies and gif animations do NOT belong in a proffessional web enviroment.

B

Blood

lol, who died and made you the judge of what belongs on the internet

they are a gaming company, with a huge amount of their customer base whom uses smiles all the time...

would you prefer the news in a formal business format? i sure as hell wouldnt.. its bad enough that Matt Frior has to write disclaimers in the bottom of his posts on the herald. (insurance forms are zzz)

Maddlcove: you need a chill pill, if a smily can get your piss boiling

:eek: :puke: :sleeping:

ps. agree with Roo

A

Addlcove

noone died that i know of, and there are no rules for what belongs on the net as such

all I´m saying is that in my opinion smileys (and gif animations) does not belong on a proffessional webservices site.

you may agree or disagree as you see fit, I still think it´s over the top using smileys in the "news" ... I mean, all these youth magazine all over the world are also written for people who use smileys, and you don´t see smileys used dierctly in the articles in those ....

and I think you need to chill if you feel like you should flame me for expressing my opinion, that ofcourse, is also just my opinion.

Maddlcove out

N

NetNifty

Originally posted by liste
Since last Tuesday, bards can now get the correct cloak reward from Lobaise when doing the Lost Relic Quest.

For bards who already did the quest, you can go see Aidlinn in TNN (in the palace near Brigit) and give her the cloak.

Originally posted by kemor
Yep :)

Will be announced officially tomorrow in the news, but it's already on the live servers since last Tuesday.

and nope they didn't post it in Friday news, how difficult would it have been to remember to put that in?

S

Shike

nice thought Roo :)

although I doubt GOA will ever learn. Most I know of now are just waiting for next game to play it seems. If frontiers is what it seems to be, then maybe move US is next step. Who knows...

L

lakih

Very good written post Roo, totaly agree.

And i also agree with Addlcove, smilies doesnt (imo) belong in a corporate newsfeed like this one, even if its aimed at a game community where the average player is in his young twenties.
First smiley made me chuckle in a stupid way "höhö, they put a smiley in the news" the second one made me go "common dawg, im a grown ass man"....

:m00:

D

Damon_D

Originally posted by Addlcove
noone died that i know of, and there are no rules for what belongs on the net as such

all I´m saying is that in my opinion smileys (and gif animations) does not belong on a proffessional webservices site.

you may agree or disagree as you see fit, I still think it´s over the top using smileys in the "news" ... I mean, all these youth magazine all over the world are also written for people who use smileys, and you don´t see smileys used dierctly in the articles in those ....

and I think you need to chill if you feel like you should flame me for expressing my opinion, that ofcourse, is also just my opinion.

Maddlcove out

god your life must be freaking borring , if this brings ya piss to a boil....

O

old.TeaSpoon

Originally posted by Damon_D

Judging by some of the bollocks you come out with, I wouldn't say you sound much more interesting :)

Anyway, I aggree Roo. The news has long become the "did you hear about the tip they posted last week" over what it should be.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Damon_D

<sigh> my piss is fine thank you very much for the concern.

this doesn´t make it boil, I just think it´s unproffesional..

had my piss been boiling I would write a rightnow report abuot it, in danish mind, as much chance of them understanding that as tehre is of the english reports.

<bad addl no flaming!!!!>

B

Blood

** post removed due to use of danish lanuage **

Note to poster:
Maybe Zargar can understand danish but other readers or mods can't. Next time write in english please.

B

Blood

In english, and ROT13 encoded
Code:
jul qbag lbh whfg tb trg n yvsr, naq yrg zr bssre n orre gb zl qnavfu zngrf?

R

Roo Stercogburn

Ok, what I didn't say when I posted this thread was that I sent the link to GOA shortly after I created it.

Got a nice reply from Kemor, but as its in an email to me I think its inappropriate to post it. It was interesting to see the opposite view point - well not opposite, maybe inside viewpoint is more accurate. If GOA or Kemor decide to post, thats up to them, not me.

I'm more than happy to give them a little poke from time to time if I think there's things that could be done better ;)

One of the things I've learned myself with customers is that providers that are willing to go that extra mile, will always do better.

A

Addlcove

I must be ignored then

he didn´t answer my email about GOA giving me 3 free months of playtime

R

Roo Stercogburn

I didn't email Kemor. I wasn't sure who would be the most appropriate person at GOA so I sent it in via Right Now and asked them to pass it on to whoever they thought should look at it. Very fast response too, considering I did it on a weekend.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Roo Stercogburn
I didn't email Kemor. I wasn't sure who would be the most appropriate person at GOA so I sent it in via Right Now and asked them to pass it on to whoever they thought should look at it. Very fast response too, considering I did it on a weekend.

check my <pokes kemor> thread... if I send that to rightnow the poor frenchies (no disregard to french people in general, only the ones "working" for GOA as CS) brain would start fizzling and he wouldn´t know what standard reply to send me (not to mention them probably closing down my account ahead of time and blaiming me for their cockups...)

I´ve lost all faith I had in rightnow,

N

-Nxs-

You got what you all asked for - stop moaning :)

I remember a poll a month or two ago - by far people didnt give a shit about customer service or more information - all they wanted was faster patching, well GOA announced they are heavily into the next translation and into TOA, so you got what you asked for IMHO

P

PJS

Mr Nail meet Mr Hammer
(can we have a line by line corporate speak translation like in that Matt Firor thread on VN? :) )

Originally posted by -Nxs-
You got what you all asked for - stop moaning :)

I remember a poll a month or two ago - by far people didnt give a shit about customer service or more information - all they wanted was faster patching, well GOA announced they are heavily into the next translation and into TOA, so you got what you asked for IMHO

I voted for a realistic choice. There is more chance of Saddam Hussein being found not guilty in his upcoming trial than GOA giving good service to its English speaking customers, unfortunately.

Mythic has "working as intended". GOA has "we will keep you posted", tied to a post perhaps? Translation can be a bit tricky for them.

GOA: "we will keep you posted"
<oxymoron> deafening silence </oxymoron>

Users who are viewing this thread