Advice A Choice....

Lets get it on!

• Total voters

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Just for the sake of arguement...

Lets Say your a guy, roughly 35 years of age. Gf + two Wonderful kids
You just got a new job - Say f.exp back in Sept. Pay is very generouse "for your line of work"
The hours are awesome = more time with the family, especially the kids 3 & 7.

Now, You just got offered a new job that pays x 3 of what your earn now.
The catch ? longer hours, more on the road, more travel abroad, more responcibility
and alot less time with the family.

The scenario is very real "not saying it's me" ;) but real none the less

what would you do ? and have you ever been faced with with a salary jump of that calibur ? what did you do ?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Take the money while you can, but keep some in your 'own' bank account...

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
sounds like you have what you want already

if it aint broke, dont fix it"

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Lots of variables (how much less time you would have with your family, how much further you have to travel etc) but I would probably take the money (certainly in the short term to provide better for the kids when it comes to education and whatnot).

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If you enjoy having the time with the family and it's working well with the gf then I would say stay with your current job.

If you and the gf won't mind you being gone for long periods then take the new job.

All depends what you want out of life.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
So again,
What would you do, and have you ever been faced with something similar
is the real question here. ;)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I would stick with the current job.
If you were 20, I'd say go for the money.
Pushing 40, not getting any younger, treasure the time with the kids. Precious years. You won't get a 2nd chance.
The less stress in your life the better. If they're paying you a shitload of cash, they'll want their pound of flesh. Trust me. You don't get anything for nothing in the corporate world. The more time the kids see their daddy the better.

Your call m8.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
If you've got the long-term gf and kids and your life is pretty good, keep the job. Stability > income.
I've been asked to apply for a job in the past where the money would be MUCH better, but I'd be away from home Mon-Fri. The manager in question seem surprised when I smiled and said thanks, but no thanks. What good is having the money to spend, when what I want is to spend time with my family?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So again,
What would you do, and have you ever been faced with something similar
is the real question here. ;)

Kick out the wife and kids, take the money and find a younger hotter thing to spend it on *nod*

Bonus points for using the words "I'm rich b*tch!" while doing the kicking.

gohan

FH is my second home
Agree with most people, it's rare that you find something that suits your life so well and still provide a good income, keep hold of it. Obviously money is a nessesity but the kids will prefer their dad to shiney gadgets and it could put a strain on your relationship. You can be happy and comfortable or well off but possibly stressed out and misserable, is it worth the risk?

Himse

FH is my second home
Im torn, I picked the top option, at the end of the day it's up to you, if you feel it's something you want to do then go ahead, as much as you want to be with the kids, you can still have ambitions at 35 and not want to be stuck in a role forever.

But as alot of people said, life is short, family is important and you don't want to be run ragged.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You're kind of describing the situation my Dad found himself in when we were kids. He took the money and we didn't see him for long periods (for me it would have been between the ages of about 7 and 12) as he was away for weeks at a time. On the plus side, yes we had more money in the family than we'd ever had, enough for a nice house etc. but I know in later life my Dad definitely regretted missing a formative part of his boys' lives and it put a massive strain on my parents' marriage (which worked out OK in the end, but it was a close run thing for a while). I'd also say that while I always had a good relationship with my father, I think my my Dad not being there affected my younger brother more and he was always more distant with my Dad.

If it was me, I've already made the concious decision that if there was a big payday in the offing I'd want it be something like Dubai where I could take the family with me. I'd put up with a separation for a short period (a few months) but I wouldn't consider it for the long haul.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
You're kind of describing the situation my Dad found himself in when we were kids. He took the money and we didn't see him for long periods (for me it would have been between the ages of about 7 and 12) as he was away for weeks at a time. On the plus side, yes we had more money in the family than we'd ever had, enough for a nice house etc. but I know in later life my Dad definitely regretted missing a formative part of his boys' lives and it put a massive strain on my parents' marriage (which worked out OK in the end, but it was a close run thing for a while). I'd also say that while I always had a good relationship with my father, I think my my Dad not being there affected my younger brother more and he was always more distant with my Dad.

If it was me, I've already made the concious decision that if there was a big payday in the offing I'd want it be something like Dubai where I could take the family with me. I'd put up with a separation for a short period (a few months) but I wouldn't consider it for the long haul.

The same with my family, my Dad always chased after money and power and such like. Result : he was shagging his secretary in no time and had divorced my mum by the time I was 12 or so. Then spent years and years in quite a miserable relationship with that wife, eventually she striped him up a good un and had the house etc. Always had huge amounts of money and power though lol

Then he met and married another woman whom he lives with now in her council house, and he's as happy as can be.

Life is about more than just money.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've a friend who's ditching his job and looking for something more local because the time away from his wife and kids is making him look at other women.

His words are "the temptation's too great".

Short term, say 3-6 months, fine. Long term? Well, although I've not got the experience I'd say if you've got kids I'd say you've probably already made your choice...

HOWEVER, neither is the "wrong" option, ultimately.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Offtopic; Have to say, if there's temptation then it won't be fixed by spending more time together.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
'Time with the family' is seriously overrated, especially for the male, take the job, it will do your marriage no end of good, absence makes the heart grow fonder and you'll keep her happy bringing in the bacon.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Offtopic; Have to say, if there's temptation then it won't be fixed by spending more time together.

There's always temptation. That's what it is to be a man.

It's just much worse when you're miles away from your wife, living effectively a single-man's life during the week and being unable to shoot your wad.

absence makes the heart grow fonder

A few week's absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Much longer and you start to forget what you had and it becomes less important to you and your day to day life. Then the attractive colleague you previously had an innocent laugh with becomes something you really want to stick your cock into.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
No laughs are innocent..you know want she wants.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I like the way the automatic assumption is that its the bloke who would play away.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Aye. It goes both ways.

Indeed. You could be away for weeks at a time and the younger guy next door who awlays fancied your wife could start to look very handsome and appealing. She could ask him to come round and help her move some furniture...

The above in no way ever happened to me...:ninja:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There's always temptation. That's what it is to be a man.

It's just much worse when you're miles away from your wife, living effectively a single-man's life during the week and being unable to shoot your wad.

Ofcourse there's temptation, but it can easily(yes easily) be set aside. "Want to f*ck her, oh but won't." Self control, wonderful thing ;)

Just saying that if the "temptation is too great", then that kind of thing won't stop. Should find the core problem why it's "too great" to begin with.

Not that this is about that, or that i want to butt in, just saying.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
'Time with the family' is seriously overrated, especially for the male, take the job, it will do your marriage no end of good, absence makes the heart grow fonder and you'll keep her happy bringing in the bacon.
Then we have to disagree. I'm having a great afternoon because I've got no more calls with work, the kids are off school, my wife is home and we're all just enjoying being in a warm house while it's cold and snowy outside. No-one is stressed and everyone seems content. It's different to a weekend because it's a school/work day.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Abit suprised by the outcome tbh,
Was expecting more to go for le'cash!

So fhoters have a soul afterall :p

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Abit suprised by the outcome tbh,
Was expecting more to go for le'cash!

So fhoters have a soul afterall :p

But this is all hypothetical after all. If the money was actually on offer, I am sure people would find it a lot more tempting.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I turned down a new position this year. It would of put me on 1.5x my current salary. My job is half an hour away from home and is 9-5 with the exception of the overtime which you are made aware of about 30 days in advance. Weekend work is 60 days. The new position is a lot more on the road so for example you could be told you need to be in Central London for 9-5.30. Which makes it a much longer day and also you can get about an hours notice you need to be in London the next day. That combined with my hatred for driving made me turn it down.

$(KGrHqR,!lQE65LZJBb9BOvOzW(MR!~~60_35.JPG

SilverHood

FH is my second home
As someone who regularly works 80 hours weeks and gets paid well for it, keep your job. I am single and making a choice, but no way would I do it if I had a family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom