9800 GX2 and P5K3 Deluxe

Caylan Raal

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone able to give any feedback ? :)

Am looking at a new PC with the new 9800 GX2 gfx card and the ASUS P5K3 Deluxe motherboard.

Problem im worried about is the actual size of the card and if it will physically fit in the motherboard?

The board appears to have heatsink pipes bypassing the space where the card will lie:

http://i.pricerunner.com/prod/16_1_12_11_919812l/500x500/ASUS_P5K3_DeluxeWiFi-AP.jpeg

Would be great if anyon ehas a simular setup and can confirm it will fit :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
save your money, the price/performance is absolutely awful on that card

New gen is out in June (18th Ati's new cards), July (Nvidias new cards)

Yurka

One of Freddy's beloved
if you want performance and can't wait, get the new 8800 GTS version which are very overclockable, then wait for the GT200 or whatever ATI brings out.

Caylan Raal

Fledgling Freddie
thanks for feedback on the card - but ive been waiting 6 moths to get a new pc and only have the next few weeks to orderone now before i lose my employee discount... new job and all that.

Just read up on nvidia and ati bringing new cards out - they seem to bloody do so all the time, so instead of waiting around for a new one- which will probably only be about 6 moths anyway before they release yet another one, i may just bite the bullet and go for what ive listed. Am running out of time so cant wait for the new 9900 series :(

two 8800's may be "better" but i doubt by much give the multi core capacity of this card - the reviews all seem quite positive about it?
Anyway thanks for feedback :) - still dont know if the card will fit the board though! :) will assume it does and just go for it though i think.

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
I doubt the heatsink would be a problem, given most new cards are pretty long, and it wouldnt make sense to build a mobo that would have a problem like that, as for the 2 gfx card issue, the p5k3 deluxe doesnt support sli

Chronictank

FH is my second home
thanks for feedback on the card - but ive been waiting 6 moths to get a new pc and only have the next few weeks to orderone now before i lose my employee discount... new job and all that.

Just read up on nvidia and ati bringing new cards out - they seem to bloody do so all the time, so instead of waiting around for a new one- which will probably only be about 6 moths anyway before they release yet another one, i may just bite the bullet and go for what ive listed. Am running out of time so cant wait for the new 9900 series :(

two 8800's may be "better" but i doubt by much give the multi core capacity of this card - the reviews all seem quite positive about it?
Anyway thanks for feedback :) - still dont know if the card will fit the board though! :) will assume it does and just go for it though i think.

You would be better off with 2 x 8800 GTX's, or a ultra if you can find one (they are like gold dust nowdays though) as they are better price/performance
But it really cant wait a couple of weeks to see what Ati bring out?
This is the first batch of truley next gen cards, rather than rehashes of old tech is why i am suggesting you wait

The 9800 GX2 is currently the fastest single slot card available at the mo, but it is ridiculously expensive so if you have money to burn i guess :p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
woops just saw what mobo you have,
Yeah you're probably better off with a GX2 if you cant wait until June

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have that motherboard and the gfx card i have 8800GT runs over the heat pipe it all sits below the pcie slot so unless the card drops to be as low as the pins you should be fine. That board does not have 2 pcie 16 slots so sli not ideal

Caylan Raal

Fledgling Freddie
I have that motherboard and the gfx card i have 8800GT runs over the heat pipe it all sits below the pcie slot so unless the card drops to be as low as the pins you should be fine. That board does not have 2 pcie 16 slots so sli not ideal

Great stuff. I dont actually plan on going sli so not a major factor - especially as id need ati cards for asus's crossfire (wondering when they gonna start support both tbh).

Thanks again for all feedback.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Definitely do not get the GX2, the price is rediculous and performance over the GTX/GTS is useless. As in whats the point in having 300 in cod/aoc etc over 200... just not worth the difference.

No option will play crysis at max if thats what you're thinking

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom