3d desktop (Note: BETA!)

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
http://www.hamar.sk/sphere/

Using it at work just for fluff. You can have active windows like irc in the sphere environment so that you can see them update. Video isn't officially supported yet, but works on some setups.

Looks nice tbh, wouldn't use it at home because it uses a fair amount of resources, using it at work though just for the sake of it.

Enjoy

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
well, the first implemention of a 3D desktop that's actually usefull, but still, I'd rather use nVidia's nView and just use four orso desktops :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
These 3d desktops have actually been around for 4+ years now but have never had any decent amount of development money spent on them and that is why they lack features and stabilty sadly.Microsoft had one in development back in 2001 iirc but they dropped the idea after a number of focus groups found the whole idea confusing and awkward, Microsoft's lack of foresight shelved the whole idea.

Personally as a concept I love it but it just won't feel right until someone with a sizeable budget and skillful development team have a proper go, the big problem remaining would be in getting help from Microsoft to properly intergrate the software into the O/S at system level because unless you do that then the performance will never be that hot.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
For the purpose of pure fluff its fine. If i run a 400ms update on all windows on screen at once it uses 28% or so cpu usage (alright fair enough i have a 64 bit 4000 at work :p)

I'd never use it in an environment where performance matters, afaik they are implementing this sort of thing into vista which should be cool. The dev of this free one says that he will be doing a big update anytime soon.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Naffets said:
For the purpose of pure fluff its fine. If i run a 400ms update on all windows on screen at once it uses 28% or so cpu usage (alright fair enough i have a 64 bit 4000 at work :p)

I'd never use it in an environment where performance matters, afaik they are implementing this sort of thing into vista which should be cool. The dev of this free one says that he will be doing a big update anytime soon.

Yep thats the big problem, because it sits ontop of the O/S and is not working as part of the O/S it uses an awful lot of system resources. Unless Microsoft do it themselves or work closely with a third party to intergrate it properly I can't see ever taking off.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
I don't get the idea of this, it's nothing but fluff right? Seems a bit nuisating( you know the sick-kinda feeling, dunno if I spelled it right ;)) that they seem to go into the computer, and harder to look at the pictures/any text you might have.

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
i used 3d desktop about 2 years ago, didnt like it. used way to much recources

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom