32 v 64bit

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Besdies the problems of getting 64bit software/drivers i am thinking of maybe buying teh 64bit version of vista, as my cpu is compatible. The problem is after reading up about 32 v 64 i still cant see the benefit of going 64.

Anybody have any thoughs and /or a decent website with some info?

:m00:

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
You might like to know that the DVD for almost all the versions of windows vista includes both the 32bit and 64bit releases on the DVD.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
There is only one DVD for Vista.. but the print on it and the activation code that you get will install different versions of Vista.

Unfortunately, when you buy the 32-bit version, it won't let you install the 64-bit one, so eventhough you have it, it will serve little purpose.

Advantages of 64 bit will be an increase in computing speed - it might be that the 64-bit version of Vista is able to access the full 4Gb, where the 32-bit version might not be, but don't quote me on that. It might be interesting to run with a 64bit version if you do heavy encoding (making your own videos, for example).

Personally, I'd wait until Service Pack 1 for Vista, before making the switch. There is a third Service Pack for XP underway.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
a little sidenote, in germany it's legal to sell OEM (or System Builder) packages without hardware or other stuff, so Vista Ultimate costs "only" €200.
The drawback is, no telephone support by Microsoft and the license is only for the version you bought, so either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Still, waiting for the Service Pack is recommended as per usual ;)

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Cylian said:
a little sidenote, in germany it's legal to sell OEM (or System Builder) packages without hardware or other stuff, so Vista Ultimate costs "only" €200.
The drawback is, no telephone support by Microsoft and the license is only for the version you bought, so either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Still, waiting for the Service Pack is recommended as per usual ;)

you have to buy a pc if you want a os?

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
tsk, no :p

but you can get an OS at the same price as a System Builder would. In case you can live without a printed manual.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
There is only one DVD for Vista.. but the print on it and the activation code that you get will install different versions of Vista.

Unfortunately, when you buy the 32-bit version, it won't let you install the 64-bit one, so eventhough you have it, it will serve little purpose.

Nope, Have a copy and it lets you choose at installation. The key is open to either version. This is new zealand however and we do have different consumer laws. Pommies may be stuck with one or the other.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
Why pay at all when you can pirate it! :D

i heard XP had this thing with sp2, whereby if it detected a incorrect serial or something, it would essentially destroy its self... and you would have to re-format

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
psyco said:
i heard XP had this thing with sp2, whereby if it detected a incorrect serial or something, it would essentially destroy its self... and you would have to re-format
and santaclaus exists....

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:

no, the hogfather does though

a friend of mine had it happen, there was a crack available shortly after the sp was released to restore your comp though

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
psyco said:

a friend of mine had it happen, there was a crack available shortly after the sp was released to restore your comp though

hmm first you say santa dont exist and then you say he does? make up your mind.

Gamah

Banned
psyco said:

ROFL. Never read such total bollocks, all that happens is an annoying bubble popping up telling you windows was pirated.

So what happens if a paying customer accidently gets flagged and his OS distroys all the data.....

Your friend was talking shit.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:

HE DOES!??! OH SHIT!

Goes to bed immediately like a good person would (i have work in six hours)

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
ROFL. Never read such total bollocks, all that happens is an annoying bubble popping up telling you windows was pirated.

So what happens if a paying customer accidently gets flagged and his OS distroys all the data.....

Your friend was talking shit.

im not going to go into hearsay but, fine it doesn't bother me...

i was referring to the discworld novels by terry pratchet whereby they live in a different world, and according to the novelist the hogfather does egsist in his made up world

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom