News 300 people in intensive care with flu?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Bloody hell that is alot of ICU beds being taken up, in my local area we have had 3 confirmed cases of swine flu but the government nor NHS are giving details of how many of these 300 cases are swine flu. A bit worrying really, seems vaccination levels are down this year and alot more vunerable people are exposed.

BBC News - Over 300 people in intensive care with flu

Any other parts of the country getting local news about flu and swine flu levels?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
not unusual .. the flu jabs had 3 different vacaines in them this year swine flyu and 2 others so i guess theres a few strains going around and theres always quite a few more than you would think that get complications from flu .. specially as they say over 65's have been missing their vaccinations

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
not unusual .. the flu jabs had 3 different vacaines in them this year swine flyu and 2 others so i guess theres a few strains going around and theres always quite a few more than you would think that get complications from flu .. specially as they say over 65's have been missing their vaccinations

Not unusual? At the peak of last year the number was 180 flu cases in ICU beds, we are now over 300. How is that not unusual?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
OMFG WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
it's an outbreak of man-flu , the lezzers are trying to wipe us out :(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
it's an outbreak of man-flu , the lezzers are trying to wipe us out :(

A world full of lesbians, imagine being the last man alive and having to repopulate the planet. Reverse gangbangs for the win! :D

ECA

I am a FH squatter
In the hospital my sister works in, in the last 2 weeks 4 people have died of swine flu and there are a bunch more in critical.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
In the hospital my sister works in, in the last 2 weeks 4 people have died of swine flu and there are a bunch more in critical.

That was the point of my post really, to get the information normal new channels aren't giving us so thankyou. I know they don't want to cause a scare but we are at nearly double the 2009 levels of people with various flus in ICU wards. Worrying, I know alot of elderly people who didn't get vaccinated this year after last years jab made them so ill.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What do you mean they don't want to cause a scare??? They are fucking desperate to cause a scare, its what they exist for.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
What do you mean they don't want to cause a scare??? They are fucking desperate to cause a scare, its what they exist for.

Well they have the ammo so why hasn't the gun been loaded in that case?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
comparing it to 2009 and not looking any further doesnt mean its unusual .. just means your census data is very short ...

My god yesterday no one died today 10 ppl did ..

Must be an empidemic.

People die from flu every year .. it goes up it goes down ... but its no where near as bad as some flus we had in the last 20 odd years

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
comparing it to 2009 and not looking any further doesnt mean its unusual .. just means your census data is very short ...

My god yesterday no one died today 10 ppl did ..

Must be an empidemic.

People die from flu every year .. it goes up it goes down ... but its no where near as bad as some flus we had in the last 20 odd years

You have numbers for that?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I got swine flu when it was all the rage last year... I was fine.

Flu tends to kill people who have complications, its one of natures (very many) ways of rooting out the weak. People are supposed to die from it. When its in the thousands that are being admitted on a daily basis I will worry about it.

rynnor

Rockhound
I dont think its likely to become a big epidemic now because its too damn cold and snowy.

Thats what did for it last year - the virus itself dies very quickly in cold so making it harder to spread, people circulate less and the thing just fizzles out.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The snow's a bigger story right now. Wait till we thaw out, then we'll be on swine flu pandemic 2.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
Tube was full of people sneezing today. Hate it, if you're ill stay at home and keep your germs to yourself!

eksdee

FH is my second home
i doubt even half of those 300 even need to be in hospital. people are so ridiculous in this country, slightest sniffle and "OMG FLU CAN'T GO WORK M8Z".

elderly people, children, pregnant women and those with pre-exsisting conditions should obviously be looked after with flu-like symptoms, but the rest should be told to fucking deal with it and go lie in bed if a little sniffle is so bad.

i'm a normal, healthy person and had swine flu diagnosed last year. i was fine, it wasn't that bad. stayed in bed for a week and then off for one more to ensure i was fully healthy so as not to spread the germs (i worked in a school at the time so this was important). otherwise, no worries.

it really irks me how over the top people are, it's not like it's the plague or something.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
"people are ridiculous, a sniffle and they cant go to work"

"i had flu and had 2 weeks off work"

eksdee

FH is my second home
yeah, you know, actual flu. not the kind that your mum's friend has every other week. it's literally the only time i've ever been off work for more than a day other than when i broke my hand.

also, if you know anything about working with children, you'd know that my employers more or less told me i'd be in trouble if i went back to work any earlier.

try digesting information before making irrational assumptions.

Corran

Part of the furniture
also, if you know anything about working with children, you'd know that my employers more or less told me i'd be in trouble if i went back to work any earlier.

try digesting information before making irrational assumptions.

Shame the NHS is less caring now days about the health of patients.

My mother works in a premature baby unit. Used to be any sign of a spreadable illness you wasnt allowed near the place. But now they said that it does not matter if you got flu/cold or any other spreadable illness. You are expected to be in work doing your usual job. Guess they dont care if the kids dont survive!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
BBC have just reported that you're more at risk from H1N1 if you are young, pregnant or overweight. Expect a cull at FH

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Put any disease from ingrowing toe nails to brain tumours in the news and
you can bet your bottom dollar there will an increase in cases.
The festering pit of humanity is a strange beast and moves in mysterious ways.
There are people out there who were told they had swine flu by NHS direct and actually were so informed about life as to believe it.
The media and the powers that be have sank into a bizarre symbotic relationship, if you challenge the media the lawyers descend and the actual facts have to be painted over to appease the mob.

rynnor

Rockhound
Put any disease from ingrowing toe nails to brain tumours in the news and
you can bet your bottom dollar there will an increase in cases.
The festering pit of humanity is a strange beast and moves in mysterious ways.
There are people out there who were told they had swine flu by NHS direct and actually were so informed about life as to believe it.
The media and the powers that be have sank into a bizarre symbotic relationship, if you challenge the media the lawyers descend and the actual facts have to be painted over to appease the mob.

Very good point - it was only in the early stages of last years outbreak that people were tested to see if they were actually carrying the virus.

After that anyone with the wide ranging symptoms was assumed to have it thus the exploding numbers. No doubt there are vast numbers of people who think they had it who just had a cold.

Edit - oh and on the high proportion of young children/preggers in intensive care with it - this is partly because these groups are more vulnerable but also because they generally have a higher priority getting an intensive care bed.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
9 young kids have died of it this winter it seems, bloody horrible to hear that news. :(

rynnor

Rockhound
It is sad but to put it into perspective there were 4486200 children under 5 last year.

Infant mortality is just over 5 per thousand so 22,431 will die - approx 15 a day every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom