3 letter posts

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
I can't hack it anymore, i am so sick and tired of some people posting a single smiley or abbreviated ("lol" for example) word.

Can we do something about it? I can see how some people may appreciate a post, but does it really warrant a new post such as a single smiley? Tbh, keep your single, no point smiley to yourself pls.

Alternatively, Deebs can you make the min character per post something like 5 - 10?

edit:// Look at Xtro's post here. It made chuckle, but i don't suck his cock about it.

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
As mentioned in another thread - if you put a higher min-char limit people will either just uyse longer smilie commands : clap : for instance. Or they'll put dots or something like...

:) (text to get around minimum char limit)

The only way stop single word posters is by aggressive modding.

Which then starts whole boards full of people complaining about over-aggressive modding.

And so teh cycle continues.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Arindra said:
The only way stop single word posters is by aggressive modding.

Which then starts whole boards full of people complaining about over-aggressive modding.

And? Who cares what some lamers think about being banned/moderated.

Clown

Part of the furniture
What if somebody told a joke, and nobody said 'lol'. YOU WOULD FEEL A LITTLE BIT STUPID THEN HUH?

Clown

Part of the furniture
smile.gif

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
How is it being aggressive, if you delete a pointless post? That's what IRC is for y'know, pointless babble.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Hmmm, that single smilie thing can be overcome anyway :(

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, example 1: There was a thread which contained a joke, i looked down the page to find absoulutely no subject matter whatsoever, other than "ha", and "heh". Waste of fucking time. Why does it take so-many people to reiterate what the person before said?

Will

/bin/su
I'll wait for Ted or Deebs to decide what they want to do with this.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I'd rather have 15 people laughing at my jokes (I BLOODY WISH) than 1 :)

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
Ok, example 1: There was a thread which contained a joke, i looked down the page to find absoulutely no subject matter whatsoever, other than "ha", and "heh". Waste of fucking time. Why does it take so-many people to reiterate what the person before said?

to show their appreciation for the joke. If you told a joke irl, wouldnt it be nice that everybody laughed instead of one person and the rest assuming that you understood it was funny as one person already laughed at it?:p

I think you have to judge this case by case(so let it the mods decide as it is now) as sometimes one word can have a lot more meaning than one thousand.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Driwen said:
to show their appreciation for the joke. If you told a joke irl, wouldnt it be nice that everybody laughed instead of one person and the rest assuming that you understood it was funny as one person already laughed at it?:p

It is extremely dull reading the same thing over and over again. Laugh in real life, or atleast expand on the subject. It shouldn't just be ":clappy:" every time i scroll the mouse.

For the person who made the joke, (Clown you pest :eek: ) just imagine people laughing at their screen, because they will be (Won't you everyone?).

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Example 2: Look at this thread. It has a prime example of pointless posts. Two people have quoted the same image now (which makes three in total, YAY i can count mummy!), and said nothing of relevance, other than their appreciation.

So i propose another idea: How about limiting the same picture to 1 per thread?

Daf

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
Example 2: Look at this thread. It has a prime example of pointless posts. Two people have quoted the same image now (which makes three in total, YAY i can count mummy!), and said nothing of relevance, other than their appreciation.

So i propose another idea: How about limiting the same picture to 1 per thread?

Yeah quoting images annoys the hell out of me too. How about maybe removing the

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
tbh quoting images shouldn't cause any major issues as its the same picture & should only download once, it's just a bit extra scrolling.

Unless there are any objections I'll speak to Tony and see if he'll adjust the minimum post limit up slightly & suggest making smiley codes say 6 chars or less (i.e. :####: )?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You cant hoestly want to stop people quoting images, have you seen the yoga babe on the babe thread? hmmmm...yoga

/me drools.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
This has already been discussed, and the decision was to keep it at 3.

You won't stop someone from just posting a smilie if they want to, all you need do is add random full stops at the end of it. Leave as is imo, no point raising it at all.

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
How is it being aggressive, if you delete a pointless post? That's what IRC is for y'know, pointless babble.

OK, 'assertive' moderation if you like.

I, for the record, rather appreciate the harder line taken so far at FH, my point was that when the masses arrive in 2 weeks time you have a choice...

1) Give in to the spam.
2) Put up with the whining at mods.

Messing about with minchar limits won't do very much.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Arindra said:
OK, 'assertive' moderation if you like.

I, for the record, rather appreciate the harder line taken so far at FH, my point was that when the masses arrive in 2 weeks time you have a choice...

1) Give in to the spam.
2) Put up with the whining at mods.

Messing about with minchar limits won't do very much.

or 3) ban all their arses?

Anyway this is all getting off topic as it is. I say leave it how it is. As whatever it is set too some really smart person will just add dots etc.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok /me doesn't bother talking to Deebs then

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
On the subject of quoting images - that's more a "newbie guide" thing surely? It's irritating, and most of us now add a "<snip>" to any images (or non-referenced text) in a quote. It's generally seen as "not the done thing" - certainly in General, I wouldn't dare speak for the others.

Since the CoC has elements of newbie guide to it, it could be worth adding in a line just saying "Quoting images is not the done thing, mmkay?".

From a personal perspective I'd support a mod that chopped out big images that get quoted. Certainly the ones on the same page. But then, I have been honing my facist side in Feedback this week ;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Surely it depends if the quoteed image has a purpose or not though.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Just disable the post counter, simple way to stop spammers.. in reality what benefit does it create?

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Gef said:
Just disable the post counter, simple way to stop spammers.. in reality what benefit does it create?
Its already gone i believe.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Gef said:
We lost post counts within 3 days...

The benefit is that you have discussions of some substance, rather than mindless ":D" over and over. That's the idea anyway.

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
lol

---edit---

ok enough of being funny, i can't really see why it matters someone saying lol as a reply to a joke or whatever, jesus don't take things so seriously.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Yup, it's part of what makes the forum humour.

Stop people doing that, and we may as well just not bother saying anything funny. Or thoughtful. Hell next thing you know we'll be gagging people's right to free speech (hello Kilroy!).

:|!

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Rubric said:
Its already gone i believe.

Ohh, I only just got here! So there is no 'forum deity' type stuff any more that drives the DAoC'ers into 'post farm levelling' mode?

I aer ubeR! I hav 4 mor p0stas than j00!

Excellent ;)

Clown

Part of the furniture
There's only three levels now. Fledgling, Regular and something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom