J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
what do you lot think this is worth ?

Intel Core 2 6700 @ 2.66 GHz
8 GB RAM
GeForce 8800 GTX
plus HDD and case, as a whole unit

Yaka

Part of the furniture
£150 prolly, you dont mention psu make, brand of ram, and size of hdd and name of case, it might nudge the price a little either way.

sometimes you find its better to split the system up, but then the only that prolly wont sell is the case most of the time

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
sorry to steal the thread - but what about;

i7 @ 3.07
AMD HD5670
6GB RAM
1TB Samsung HDD
22" Full HD BenQ monitor
Generic Case/600w PSU

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
£150 prolly, you dont mention psu make, brand of ram, and size of hdd and name of case, it might nudge the price a little either way.
If that, I've had my Quad Core version of that 6 years and if you depreciate it by 25% a year it's worth £177.98
sometimes you find its better to split the system up, but then the only that prolly wont sell is the case most of the time
This, if you can be bothered that is because if you don't sell all the parts as spares on ebay you'll have less money and half a box.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Then by the time ebay etc take their cut your not left with a lot :(

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
How strange... I was thinking about this exact same topic yesterday!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm going to upgrade my PC, and was wondering what to do with my current gaming rig - it's 4-5 years old now, and has got the following spec/components:

Akasa Mirage 62 Aluminium Case w/ Thermally Advanced Side Panel and 4 x Noctua NF-S12 Case Fans, Intake, Exhaust, Blowhole and on Side Panel
Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 2.4 Ghz @ 3 Ghz w/ Noctua NH-U12F Heatsink (Using 2 x Noctua NF-P12 Fans for Suck/Blow)
Gigabyte GA P35C DS3R Motherboard w/ 4 GB RAM
EVGA GTX280 w/ Arctic Accelero Xtreme GTX Pro VGA Cooler
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty (No Front Panel)
3 x Samsung SpinPoint T Series 500GB
1 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB

It's a good rig, still plays most games at good res and settings - just decided it's time for an upgrade.

It's a really good case, lots of good quality components like the PSU and Noctua fans that I'm sure I could gut and sell individually - but just not sure I can be arsed.

What's anyones thoughts on a price for all of the above complete, or selling bits individually? Or is anyone looking for a slightly old, but good quality rig? :)

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
seems to me that selling all that lot, collectively or individually, would be false economy... why not just use it as a server or a backup machine or somesuch...? Nice case btw. tasteful.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks, not sure what I will do with it - but you're probably right re: false economy. I'll see what use I can make of it.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
mehs 2ndhand pc prices always make me wince :/ *fondles own i7 wub wub wub*

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
it's been years since i sold a PC secondhand. thinking about it, it'd be about april 2003 but it was well worth it at the time... I'd just had an amazing deal on an epic new pc.

I don't know what the situation is like these days but back then it was common practice for a computer magazine to put out a spec for a PC round-up (£700 Bargain PC, best <£2000 server, Best <£4000 workstation, etc etc) and companies would put something together and submit it for the round-up review... there were rules for these round-ups that from what i figured out were related to sales laws and trading standards etc - rules varied from magazine to magazine, but the ones specifically stated in PC Pro at the time (which is where I found the Epic PC) were that the model submitted for the round-up had to be available to buy to the general public for a period of at least 6 weeks from the date of the magazine's publication and that a minimum of 100 must be sold at that price before any price increases were applied... Don't ask me how rigidly these rules were enforced, I have no idea...

anyway long story short(er)... there was a round up for High-End multipurpose PC's, expected uses being gaming, photo and video editing, watching films, office work etc... so not SPECIFICALLY gaming PC's... but all capable of being used for gaming to some extent or other.

I noticed a trend at the time that when these round-ups happened someone other other would go out of their way to spec out a PC that seemed totally at odds in terms of price : performance.... i.e. there was no way they were making money on it. A friend at the time worked for Evesham Micro in their swansea branch and he confirmed what I thought... it was common practice for manufacturers to sell a limited number of PC's at a loss in order to win a magazine round up in a big-name mag like PC Pro, PC Gamer, PC Format etc as the positive marketing meant leaps in sales.

On this occasion it was Dell that had gone to town on the spec... the brand spanking new top of the range P4-3ghz running on I *think* Canterwood, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics, I think 4gig of ram (though it might have been 2), a 7.1 high end speaker system and 19" 1600x1200 TFT + dedicated sound card, gigabit ethernet card and a few other bits and bobs... I tried pricing the whole thing up as a build your own and at the time I couldn't do it for less than £3000 when using the named components where possible and what did I pay? £1499 inc. delivery and VAT. well Impressed.

At the time I had two laptops and two desktops, all running one form or other of windows and I really didn't have the space for three desktops (I was living with my parents at the time)... My mum was going NUTS about the hassle of network leads running up the stairs, no free plug sockets in my room to plug the hoover into - blah blah blah so it was "suggested" to me that I sell one of the older desktops to free up space... I told my mum that "No one wants to buy a 2 year old second hand desktop blah blah I'd get no money for it blah blah"... she demanded that I just write 200 words describing the PC, make it sound good, but don't lie and she'd put a free ad in the local paper.

Well turned out she was old and wise :)... didn't state a specific price in the ad... just put "reasonable offers considered"....

had several phone calls about the PC the day the ad went into the paper and someone wanted to come see it the same day - they wanted a first family PC... had been around some local chains - comet currys pcworld etc and the couple of dedicated computer shops and they'd been given the hard sell everywhere they'd gone - because they didn't know exactly what they needed they were being advised to buy things like £50 parallel cables to attach a printer and given horror stories of how PC's break down every week and they really needed 3 year engineer on site cover etc etc... they just got ticked off with it and decided to look around for someone selling a complete system with everything they'd need straight off the bat...

fair does, when the couple who had shown serious interest turned up that evening they weren't complete noob... they both used PC's in their day jobs, but had never had to set one up or configure it etc, didn't know how to set up the internet etc.... as they lived locally I offered to come back with them if they decided to buy it and set it up for them, pointing out it wouldn't take long etc, I was familiar with the PC, and I could just walk them through what I was doing so they'd have an idea... they jumped on it....they wanted advice on what printer & scanner to buy as they were worried about incompatibility and setting things up etc.. I decided to offer them an old printer and scanner I had spare that I knew worked flawlessly - Canon LIDE (the thin katana shaped flatbed) and I think a fairly low end canon colour bubblejet.... worth nothing to me really but i'd never have gotten around to selling them seperately....

Well, the bloke turned around and knocked my socks off.... He said "Would you take £1000 for all this and setting it up?"... we're talking old printer & scanner worth maybe £20 max.. 17 inch CRT monitor that I would be glad to see the back of (had an annoying blemish in the AR coating on the glass that I could never get rid of)... Beige logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, yamaha speakers.... and a fairly decrepit Athlon 600mhz, with RIVA TNT II Ultra (32 meg) and probably 256 meg of ram and I think 80gig HD....

I snapped his hand off :)

Anyway, moral of the story... if you really MUST try selling a PC second hand, consider avenues other than Ebay - look at free ads... and look to see what you can do to add value... can you deliver and set up, configure network connection etc, supply all system and driver disks, perhaps a CD burned with a latest version of all drivers... oh and for godsake clean inside the chassis :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
im in the market for a 2nd hand PC as i cant really afford anything brand new, as i am currently playing games on a 7 year old laptop with onboard intel graphics card which sux donkeys balls (i cant even play Tropico 3!)

big struggle for me is getting something delivered to Finland (which always seems to whack on a major extra to the price)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
What about buying the parts and building it yourself? It's easy.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
if its just a pc for browsing and storing files you can prob make one for under £200 (not including monitor)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom