28 Days Later

O

old.Fweddy

As it comes out on dvd tomorrow I was wondering if its worth a buy. What do you guys think?

X

Xtro

I saw it at the cinema when it came out and have ordered it on DVD.

What not to expect - a fantastic omgwowkkthnxbyeishitmypants film.

How to enjoy it - think of it like a modern Day of the Triffids, something that C4 or BBC would knock out a while ago. ie. its not a superb piece of film making but is ENJOYABLE enough.

Even on that premise though the last third is a bit cack - especially compared to the first 20 mins.

I've ordered it for all the extras then will prob trade it.

N

nath

I really really just didn't enjoy it tbh :|

Watched Evil Dead last night though, now *that's* a zombie flick.

N

nath

Actually, I do prefer 2, but the first is still great.

M

Moving Target

Best one liner evar.

"Groovy"

Just...win.

T

Tom

"London Bridge is falling down, falliinnnng doooowwwnnn hahahahaaaaaa"

O

old.I_Am_Glen

see sig....revew :p

its quiet intrestin if u curios how london wud b leik if it happen..quiet gud film an lil bit scery :))

N

nath

Well ED 3 is win purely for inventing the phrase boomstick.

S

Sharma

Thought 28 days late was a pretty good film, some parts wrre really good, some where just zzz

S

stu

28 Days Later bored the shit out of me. I went to see it with my sister, and she loved it. Having said that, she knows fuck all about films.

M

Moving Target

So, her opinion is worthless then, obviously.

O

old.D0LLySh33p

It was okay. But I watched it at midnight on certain substances... so by and by... it was prolly shit :(

O

old.Fweddy

I've just watched 28 Days Later. I enjoyed it tbh. The ending could've been better though, imho.

X

Xtro

Strangely enough I've just watched it again too. Just seen the 2 alternative endings, the storyboard one is far better.

X

Xtro

The storyboard has commentary by Danny Boyle who also reads the actor's parts and Alex Garland who also reads the stage directions.

It'd prob be about 20-30 minutes if it were filmed. It cuts the film off where Frank (the young girl's dad) gets infected - they are still at the blockade but don't actually meet the soliders.

Frank still gets infected but they don't actually kill him - they trap him and tie him up. They go to see what they were blockading and it turns out to be a medical facility.

So the bit with Christopher Eccleston and the soldiers never happens - what does happen (to sum up VERY shortly) - is that there is one guy left alive locked in a steel room and it turns out this is the facility that you see right at the beginning of the film (with the monkeys). He knows how to "cure" Rage but it takes quite a few scenes and other stuff happening before he lets on how. As the virus is in the blood, if you do a full body blood transfusion then you can save someone.

They save Frank but it needs Jim (the lead guy) to sacrifice himself and he in fact ends up with Rage and strapped to the very table the monkey with the TV's was on right at the beginning.

I've missed out few bits - halfway through Boyle and Garland think er fuck we've already made clear that one drop of blood can infect someone so how can you do the full transfusion - how can you make sure every single drop of blood from every capilliary has been cleaned out and changed with uninfected? They think...you can't...and scrapped the idea.

A pity - it would have got rid of the shite soldiers bit and the "feelgood" ending. They wrote the storyboard AFTER they'd finished production btw. They weren't happy with the soliders bit either.

Not bad for an extra, wish they'd done something like that in the end. 2 girls I watched it with were depressed as fuck after anyway, and that was with the feelgood ending :)

O

old.Fweddy

Films like this shouldn't have feel good endings. I would've preferred it if they'd stopped when they hit the gate leaving the mansion.

X

Xtro

Yep, when I saw this at the cinema I thought that was the end of the film and that would have been a good point to cut off too. Didn't need that last scene at all.

D

Durzel

Originally posted by stu
28 Days Later bored the shit out of me. I went to see it with my sister, and she loved it. Having said that, she knows fuck all about films.
I thought it was pretty good myself. The "I promised my boys" twist was unexpected. I enjoyed it despite my sister asking inane questions during the whole film ("if they're zombies do they only come out at night then?")

N

nath

If they were just full of rage, why didn't they attack each other, instead of just uninfected people?

N

Nos-

Maybe they have some special handshake/wink like the masons.

J

Jonny_Darko

I thought it was great. The feeling of isolation and not knowing what has happened is quite eerie, and there are some really scary bits (like the tunnel bit).

After halfway through though it takes a turn for the worse, not in terms of its quality just that it deals with some horrible ideas that made me feel really quite uncomfortable.

David Schneider's in it though and he rocks, plus Chris Eccleston is good as always.

D

Durzel

Originally posted by Jonny_Darko
After halfway through though it takes a turn for the worse, not in terms of its quality just that it deals with some horrible ideas that made me feel really quite uncomfortable.
I think I know the bit you mean, and it was a surprise for me as well. Realistic though (i.e. breakdown of social values, rationalising/justifying it, etc)

J

Jonny_Darko

Originally posted by Durzel
I think I know the bit you mean, and it was a surprise for me as well. Realistic though (i.e. breakdown of social values, rationalising/justifying it, etc)

I just know I could never, never do what they were contemplating, and I thought for a while on the subject of whether the average man would...and I reckoned he would. That upset me.

W

WPKenny

I saw this film last night and thought it was pretty dull tbh. It wasn't shit, it just wasn't very interesting and there were plot holes and inconsistancies a mile wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom