24" monitor advice

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Dear lazyweb, what 24" monitor should I go for?

I'm fed up of my 17" monitor and want to upgrade! I tend to end up with about 20 Firefox tabs open when I'm working. I can't quite seem to get used to 2 monitors so I thought I'd go for a super big 24" instead.

Budget is ideally £350 maximum, maybe a little more (£400) if it's something decent. I'm concerned over dead pixel policies, usually I only spend £100 or so on a typical monitor and I'm not too bothered, but this time I'm spending far more!

Some I've found include:

PcBuyIt Monitors Dell Dell True Colour E248WFP 24" 5ms 4 Year NBD warranty - Including Dead pixel guarantee ** - seems very cheap.
24" Hyundai W240D Professional LCD Monitor - Aria Technology - bit expensive but seems to have decent reviews.
24" IIyama Prolite Widescreen TFT B2403WS - Aria Technology - some slightly poor reviews for this one?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
that Dell, I wonder if it is the new version of my Dell 2407?

GReaper, I have the Dell 24" 2407WFP, and imo it's aboslutely stonking. Ofc, if you actually want to play graphics intensive games at it's maximum rez you're going to have to have a system to match, but for all other things it's fine. I have a colleague who bought the 30" variant of the monitor so he can play like 16 games of online poker at once or something. I play games and draw on mine.

Imo mine is great, it looks nice, and the image quality is good. Ofc colour vibrancy could be better, but that is something with every tft. Dell now have a "HC" model which shows more colours, they claim, whatever that means. Other people on the forums have that Dell as well and everyone agrees that it's a decent monitor with a good set of extra assets, usb, multi-cardreader etc.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Ah, the E248WPF is a TN panel, the extra cost for the 2407WFP gives a PVA panel instead.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
oh, I see. not that I'd know what the difference is ofc :)
in that case, I'd pop down a shop (if possible) and see them next to each other (if possible). If you see the screen and think it's amazing, then buy it and who cares about technical specs on paper that nobody reads :)

as to the feeling of size, in the beginning the thing seems HUGE, after a while it feels normal, but once there you can't go back (as the actress said to the bishop)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The new model of the 2407 is coming, the 2408.

Should push down the price of the 2407. There is a ebay seller who sells the HC version of the 2407. His name is ericbunny. i bought my 24" dell off him and had no issues. He gives you a full no dead pixel guarentee and the full dell warrenty on top. Lots of dell resellers these days.

Reza

One of Freddy's beloved
The Dells are good, and that guarantee is great if the retailer is reliable.

One thing to consider is that samsung make all of dell's screens. So check out the equivalent samsung models.

I think Samsung's Syncmaster 245B and 245T, are the equivalent to Dell's E248WPF and 2407WFP.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Another vote for the 2407, the difference between the panel tech is viewing angles and contrast mainly, plus the 2407 has a built in USB hub and card reader, which is handy.

You can pick one up for just over £400 on ebay, but you might want to wait for the 2408 to come out (real soon as there's already docs on the dell site Documentation), which will lead to a drop in prices to clear stock in the channel.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
The new model of the 2407 is coming, the 2408.

Should push down the price of the 2407. There is a ebay seller who sells the HC version of the 2407. His name is ericbunny. i bought my 24" dell off him and had no issues. He gives you a full no dead pixel guarentee and the full dell warrenty on top. Lots of dell resellers these days.

I bought th same monitor off the same guy recently and it's perfect.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Another vote for the Dell 2407WFP here.
I still hold TdC and Ch3tan responsible :eek:

Managed to persuade work to get a couple of 22" widescreen Dell monitors with our replacement Precision workstations due soon \o/ they decided 24" was too big :(

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

Not wishing to sound like a parrot, but this is another vote for Dell (their reputation is very good when it comes to displays).

However, please note two things: the models with an 'E' prefix are a budget series. They're certainly not bad for the price, especially depending on your needs, but they're obviously not as good as the higher-priced models (but like the old adage goes, you get what you pay for).

Secondly, the 2008 version (2408WFP) of the Dell 24" monitor is just around the corner (it's already out in some parts of the world). It packs an improved display, better colour reproduction, and expanded connectivity (including HDMI and DisplayPort) etc. If you can afford, wait a while and buy it; but even if not, the 2007 version will be offered at a more attractive price (e.g. via eBay, the Dell's refurbishment outlet etc.).

Kind regards

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Thanks to all for the advice.

Think I'll wait a little bit longer and get a 2407WFP at a slightly cheaper price, unless the 2408WFP comes out at a similar price!

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
unless the 2408WFP comes out at a similar price!
Sadly not :( Dell tend to reduce the price of outgoing models to clear their stock, then introduce the latest model at a more normal (but comparatively higher) price. It's rare that they offer old and new models side-by-side on their websites.

It's like gambling: buy too early and you miss out on better offers, wait too long and you'll lose the option to buy the older/cheaper model, but time it right and you'll bag youself a bargain (albeit one that will age a little quicker). :)

Kind regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom