throdgrain

FH is my second home
Translated, this means we have abandoned BF2 already

You knew it was coming chaps ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Meh. Another future war game. OK it uses the BF engine but the pseudo-authenticity is one of the things that I like(d) about BF1942 and BF2. This is Planetside basically (and I bet there will some persistent element to the game just like Planetside).

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Has the engine been upgraded at all? Apart from adding some additional bugs I mean. :p

I dont like the theme setting of the game. It also makes me think it will be another BF Vietnam, a cash cow while a proper 'new engine sequel' is being made.

No, my opinion of EA doesnt get worse with each game they release, honest. :(

Aada

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
Translated, this means we have abandoned BF2 already

You knew it was coming chaps ;)

Throd no offence you continue to bash the game pretty much in every thread but yet you continue to buy the booster pack and still play.. theres something very wrong here.

You say you don't really like the game either.. i remember that big long thread about CS/BF2 you like CS more but i'm willing to bet over the last month you have logged more BF2 hours then CS'S.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
hehe, you'd loose that bet Im afraid. I play CSS at least 2 hours a day -at least!- and BF2 about once a fortnight.
I post on the subject because Im interested in games, and have always posted more in games forums than the general one. Indeed in the BW days I didnt really post in General Forum at all unless I could help it. However with FH being far less than a shadow of BW there isnt much to post about anymore.Hence my posts in the BF threads. However if they upset you, I wont bother, you can post all on your own about how great EA games are, and convince yourself of the fact :p :D

Aada

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
hehe, you'd loose that bet Im afraid. I play CSS at least 2 hours a day -at least!- and BF2 about once a fortnight.
I post on the subject because Im interested in games, and have always posted more in games forums than the general one. Indeed in the BW days I didnt really post in General Forum at all unless I could help it. However with FH being far less than a shadow of BW there isnt much to post about anymore.Hence my posts in the BF threads. However if they upset you, I wont bother, you can post all on your own about how great EA games are, and convince yourself of the fact :p :D

But EA don't make the game man.. DICE do.

Heh yeah i remember Barrysworld.. not much but abit.

:)

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
But dont EA have a big say in what Dice do? EA own Dice now dont they? Can I think of a third question? :eek7:

As said in the news post about Quake Wars, 2124 looks like a poor copy of that so far.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yeah you're right of course, Dice make the game, however EA have a big input into thier corporate strategy, ie the selling of bonus packs etc.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
dont forget that EA recently paid loadsamoney(tm) for the remaining swedish stock in DICE. So it becomes essencially an "in-house" development team. :eek:

Im holding back on this one, once being an avid Mechwarrior fan I'm a bit reluctant to play anything which has "mechs" in it these days (including mechassault, that just feels nasty)

the big wonder has to be how they plan to "balance" the game out now with huge fecking stompers :eek6:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Insane said:
the big wonder has to be how they plan to "balance" the game out now with huge fecking stompers :eek6:

That won't be that difficult; they'll just give 'em APC levels of armour and probably APC type gun overheat too.

The more I look at this, the more I think EA/Dice are making a mistake; this is going to be like BF:V to BF1942; a bit shit and everyone went off and played a mod instead.

Its too early to say whether it will be a better game than ET:Quakewars, but even if it is (and looking at the trailers they look disturbingly similar), its such a hackneyed genre that I can't see that big a pick up from the existing BF fans. Here's hoping the mod makers get some good stuff out soon.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Insane said:
dont forget that EA recently paid loadsamoney(tm) for the remaining swedish stock in DICE. So it becomes essencially an "in-house" development team. :eek:

Im holding back on this one, once being an avid Mechwarrior fan I'm a bit reluctant to play anything which has "mechs" in it these days (including mechassault, that just feels nasty)

They will put Anti Tank Rockets/TOW future weapons based on these in just like in BF2.

I love tanks in BF2 they are an easy kill 1 shot from a TOW to the tanks behind and its all over for him.

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
EA are whores, lets face it.

Tho at least they force design companys to grow up, many of the leading companys are now alot more mature and treat the industry as what it is. A business. Look a mithic entertainment, they dont play around and for an independant they do very very well.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Battlefield is EA's new FIFA or Sims. Expect a 'new' version to be released every year or so. The Sims Battlefield Business : Road To World Cup War 2007.

I've always been a huge fan of BF42 (and to a lesser extent BF:V). I bought BF2, but I've clocked up very little hours on it since its release. It's dire. Really really bad. I'm sad to say, but I agree with Throddy, BF2 is dead to EA.

They've pushed the 'booster' packs so they can get some cash before the majority of the decent mods are released (while giving out piss-poor modding tools). The stats all but killed any fun you may have had in a server, attracting the complete and utter retards from other games - who care more about getting a medal than playing the game and having fun.

Oh, remember when we used to get all the content we've seen in the booster packs for free way back in the day in '42? Happy days.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
You're right CDR. I WILL NOT buy BFwhateverthefuckitscalled again. Its a waste of time, with less and less back up eveyr release.
And I quite liked BF2 tbh, I played it quite a lot, more than I played BF1942 I suspect.

Aada

Part of the furniture
throdgrain said:
You're right CDR. I WILL NOT buy BFwhateverthefuckitscalled again. Its a waste of time, with less and less back up eveyr release.
And I quite liked BF2 tbh, I played it quite a lot, more than I played BF1942 I suspect.

I'll hold you to that :)

Ive been playing BF2 solid since last June up until around January i call that value for money the only reason ive stopped playing is the fact i'm getting back into the console scene.

I'll buy 2142 knowing that ill get a good 5 months play time out of it and at the end i'll be able to say i had freaking fun on that game. Waste of £35? i think not.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I see a dark future where companies will be charging you for patches to fix bugs they never fixed the first time round.

"Well we put the time into fixing that problem, why shouldn't you pay us? It's only a pound..."

Cnuts.

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
No company will do that imo, a charge for an anctual patch would be insane. A charge for totally new content i have no problem with.

Going to EA booster packs, total waste of space imo, new maps? new units? new flags? You getter better work and for free in most mods.

If the next BF game dont have decent load times and even (shock horror) a decent single player game aswell (bf2 single is so bad, 1942 was ok by me) ill give it a miss, and itll singnal the end imo.

Anyway quake wars will blow BF outa the water because EA wont make 'marketing' decisions to make it 'appeal to a broader base' i.e make it piss easy for 5yr old and piss head

Aada

Part of the furniture
Airalith said:
No company will do that imo, a charge for an anctual patch would be insane. A charge for totally new content i have no problem with.

Going to EA booster packs, total waste of space imo, new maps? new units? new flags? You getter better work and for free in most mods.

If the next BF game dont have decent load times and even (shock horror) a decent single player game aswell (bf2 single is so bad, 1942 was ok by me) ill give it a miss, and itll singnal the end imo.

Anyway quake wars will blow BF outa the water because EA wont make 'marketing' decisions to make it 'appeal to a broader base' i.e make it piss easy for 5yr old and piss head

If quake wars is made by the Q4 team then you can kiss that goodbye.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Aada said:
If quake wars is made by the Q4 team then you can kiss that goodbye.
Absolutely. Quake 4 as far as I can see is an unmitigated disaster. Raven software coulnt find thier arse with both hands as far as Im concerned.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
As far as I'm aware, Quakewars is being developed by the team who did Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - which by all accounts was a decent game.

Poag

m00?
Last i heard it was being done by them aswell..

Splash Damage isn't it?

<goes off to find out>

ECA

I am a FH squatter
ET Quake wars looks ok.

Quake 4 was a complete trainwreck, these are not the days when you can release a game and everyone goes and buys a new pc just to play it.

Its unplayable on most peoples rigs.

That said its a great dueling game, crouch sliding is ace.

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
Quake wars is being made by a much more exp team from what i can tell, also it uses diff tech totally (no more 8 bit backgrounds peeps) and has alot of good idea to keep the teams balanced yet different, even small touched like the fact the strogg walk differently to humans...

gunna b ace imo

P.S EA are whores, long live indi dev's

Aada

Part of the furniture
Quake and Doom died years ago its about time the devs did something different imo.

It wasn't really the fact that you needed a new computer to play it.. i thought the graphics weren't that great.. it was just the fact the framerate was awful even on a high spec computer.

Even the 360 version which was a direct port from the PC version lags like a bitch its horrible.

Not holding my breath for Quake wars it has flop written all over it.. besides who is going to be willing to part with their cash after the last disaster?

Airalith

Loyal Freddie
Quake 4 singleplayer was pantys, tho its quake peeps, i got it, runs fine on my machine, ITS QUAKE!!! bringing back the old glowing feeling... And its QUAKE!
....sorry had a retro moment, i got Q4 for the multiplayer... wasnt that great tbh... imo was a cash cow, but id still call it an average game, uninspired and short but average, there have been far worse games released thats got less flak,

ET Q-wars (which i have looked into alot cos my clan plan to move to it) has some great features and will rock.
Any new battlefield will just be more of the same, they should just get a decent mod team to make new content, do competitions for the best of the month and crap not thewse crappy booster packs.
Euro forces, pffft yes cos europe has a gr8 military force, other than the uk youd have like 15000 friench snipers and sum german tanks that can swim... gr8 stuff. Well done EA.

Anyway with that passing shot im going to Sri Lanka, ill see you all in 2weeks and i hope it rains/snows on you all :D

NERF EA

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Quake didn't die years ago! There are still very active and competitive quake3 leagues running at jolt, as well as many others around the globe, large and small. The quake community MADE online fps gaming what it is today and still has an enormous following. I think those who weren't about in the early quake1 days fail to appreciate this. If quake wars takes off, I think a lot of people will be shocked at the size and strength of the community that it will spawn.
Don't get me wrong, I play LOADS of bf2 atm and can't understand any of the comments about bugs or instability - I've never once had a single issue with the game in any way *shrug* ... but the bf and cs series' pail into insignificance when put up against Id softwares achievements with quake.
I think Q4 multiplayer may well take off still (though never to it's potential) once community built mods become popular .... but I'm hoping that quake wars is half decent now so that it can build up a sizeable community behind it that q4 is never going to get back now. To bring my post back on topic ..... failing that, bf2142 will be the game for me ;p

Yours sincerely, Diehard quake fan boy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom