20th century fox and others vs newzbin

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Anyone been watching / reading the updates on this ?

What do you think the out come will be ?
I cant see how they can be held accountable for whats on the usenet any other thoughts on how it might go ?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
they taken them to court ... some evidence been given they got a stay of execution for a couple weeks while newzbin instruct new lawyers

the company dudes trying to make the point that they like torrent sites but they obviously arn't

if your a newzbin member check the news section gives a summary of whats happened each day.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
the company dudes trying to make the point that they like torrent sites but they obviously arn't

There are similarities but yeah, if Usenet is like a Library, Newzbin would be the index cards.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Is there a homepage where I can read about newsgroups, newsbin or whatever its called? Never heard anything about it at all!

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
money willout.
always.
never changes.

theyre fucked :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well looks like Newzbin may bite the dust:

Newzbin Judgment handed down
Regretably we have lost the case. The MPA got a finding in their favour although the wide injunction they sought was denied to them.

Our press release:

"
We are very disappointed with the judgment. Regrettably the court has accepted the distorted and flawed evidence that Hollywood presented. Contrary to the finding of the court our site has not deliberately sought to index infringing material, nor to assist those of our users who use it for that purpose. The site provides a generalised search facility for binary content found on Usenet and not just infringing material. Any of the material we index can be found on any one of thousands of sites on the Internet so pursuit of us is a futile waste of everyones time and money.

Sadly the MPA are stuck in a technology stone age. Rather than addressing their own broken business models & monopolistic commercial practices they seek to curtail innovation and freedom on the Internet. It is notable, for example, that the MPA are the sponsors behind attempts to introduce Chinese internet censorship into the UK through the Digital Enterprise Bill. Perhaps if they used their energy providing what people want, rather than buying laws to sustain their own house of cards, they might have a stronger future. We certainly reject their attempt to use this decision and our site as an excuse for rushing through undemocratic laws in a wash-up just before an election.

We lacked the limitless legal funds and legions of lawyers the MPA had and that is the only reason for their win. That said, we are looking at our grounds of appeal and how we move forward to continue to provide innovation and useful search resources for our users.

Ultimately, the dinosaurs of the content industry will need to face reality; the sad thing is that winning cases such as this only damages them and puts their own future in doubt.
"
We will have more to say when we have digested the case and we shall put up a legal page with more details in due course.

The judgement can be seen on the Bailii site: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation & Anor v Newzbin Ltd [2010] EWHC 608 (Ch) (29 March 2010)

Ah well...good things never last eh

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Bollocks! :(

And I subscribed for a year from December.

Oh hell.... I've read through the judgment (yes, ALL of it!) and they got shredded in the courtroom. Their posts on Newzbin seemed to give the impression that they were holding their own against the MPAA companies. The reality is that the MPAA's lawyers laid into them and thoroughly managed to destroy their credibility in front of the judge.
In fact, you can tell the judge was not impressed with the Newzbin defence at all. There are a couple of times when he asked questions directly and they clearly tried to fudge an answer.
In the final judgment, I'm not surprised he decided in favour of the MPAA companies. Given the statement extracts in the judgement, I would probably have come to the same conclusion.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
They were always going to lose. They made money.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
So...

Any good alternative sites?

Check out torrentfreaks site, I know they have a fair few articles of alternatives for torrent sites, not sure about Usenet though. Probably worth having abrowse, I'll keep my eyes open next time something interesting pops up there.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Never used one of the "fancy" sites. Always use binsearch and yabsearch....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom