Football 2021/2022 Season Football Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Clattenburg:
Andy Robertson is "lucky to be walking"

VAR cannot get this wrong. VAR have all the angles, he's got all the slow-motion, he can see the point of contact.

Kane:
That's what VAR's there for.

You guys are avoiding these facts like your life depends on it. It's like some weird religious hysteria. But if it's clearly not working - can you explain why you want to keep it so bad?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's all so tiring though. As has been said so, so, so many times. It is not the fault of VAR it's the fault of those that implement and use it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's all so tiring though. As has been said so, so, so many times. It is not the fault of VAR it's the fault of those that implement and use it.
Thanks for making my argument.

The longer it goes on unfixed the more evidence there is that it cannot ever work consistently and reliably. Because it's implemented by fallible humans and there'll always be the risk it'll fuck up.

They've had years now to get it right and I'd argue fucking it up when you've VAR at hand is worse than an honest on-pitch refereeing mistake.

Add to that the downsides and what have we actually gained again?

I'd really like it if someone could answer that. Maybe I'll be amazed.

My prediction is that we'll be arguing about this next christmas. And if that's true - it'll be even more evidence VAR still isn't working. Because if it's working there's nothing to argue about.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My prediction is that we'll be arguing about this next christmas. And if that's true - it'll be even more evidence VAR still isn't working. Because if it's working there's nothing to argue about.

My prediction is you'll still arguing about it next Christmas, the rest of us will accept the previous points that were made from the very first Christmas you started arguing about it :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A more pertinent quote from that article...
I think we, as referees, are sometimes guilty of knowing the laws of the game but we don't understand the game.

VAR is a tool - it's a fancy name for a video replay ffs. The people who are using the tool don't know what they're doing. Everyone and their dog who saw the replay of the Kane challenge on Robertson saw that he should've been sent off, the excuse that Robertson didn't have his foot planted so it's not a red doesn't make sense on any level. That's nothing to do with VAR, that's some muppet who doesn't know the rules he's supposed to be enforcing making a decision.

We need more transparency, a lot of the time it feels like an old boys club where they all stick up for each other and back each other's decisions regardless. Having the ref explain his decisions after the match would be one thing, hearing the audio between VAR and the ref would make a massive difference. Until that happens (and we get more competent refs coming through), shit all is going to change... but none of that is VAR's fault.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We need more transparency, a lot of the time it feels like an old boys club where they all stick up for each other and back each other's decisions regardless. Having the ref explain his decisions after the match would be one thing, hearing the audio between VAR and the ref would make a massive difference. Until that happens (and we get more competent refs coming through), shit all is going to change... but none of that is VAR's fault.
Transparency? You're just regurgitating a media line there. It's pretty fucking transparent - you can see the fuck ups they're making.

And 100% of it is VAR's fault. The decision making process is subjective. How could it not be? You're asking humans to incorporate lots of rules, make an assessment whether there is intent, estimate whether something is dangerous, where on the subjective scale of danger it is etc. etc.

VAR is nothing more than a tool to beat humans around the head with for them making different decisions than the viewer would. (And the viewers make different decisions). It was sold as removing controversy from the game but it can ONLY result in MORE controversy. Because you've got more "evidence" (subjective) that the refs are getting it wrong.

As long as humans are in the loop then mistakes will be made. And we've given up immediacy for that and ratcheted up ugly bullshit, for no real gain.

As I've said all along. Because it is fucking obvious. And every single weekend I'm just proved more right. I wish I wasn't - because every weekend I'm reminded of what a piece of shit VAR is. (And of how dumb Alan Shearer is - because although he can play the game he hasn't the intellect to be able to consider the above - so he really aggressively lays into the referees, gives them an absolute shoeing - which the masses feed off - but they've been thrust into an impossible position. Video Assist cannot work as advertised - so there's no use kicking the humans).

If we're arguing next christmas (and I fucking well will be - why should I shut the fuck up when this travesty of a shitshow is ongoing) then it will only be because VAR is impossible to implement in a satisfactory way and is still producing crap. Otherwise I'll apologise to everyone here and shut the fuck up.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Very easy to settle in the court of Oldham Athletic fans though :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

imo, Premier League teams should enter their under 23 squads into the league cup, for a start.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Clubs should also rotate more. They have a squad of 25 players for a reason.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
France did away with their league cup a couple of seasons ago, there's really no need for it to exist any more and it would make a lot of sense to just have the focus on the FA Cup every season.

That said... you know Christmas is coming when Liverpool start whining about fixture congestion.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I hear him but I struggle to care because they get paid multiples of people's yearly salary each week - so they literally could hire a cook, a cleaner and have nothing else to do but fully enjoy their downtime doing whatever they like, financial consequence free.

Add to that the fact that they love their jobs - actually love them.

Yeah. I struggle to give any fucks. At all. We should be talking about minimum wage care home assistants who regularly get assaulted by dementia sufferers, have to go home and cook and clean and struggle to heat their shitty homes, never mind enjoy their "downtime".

Maybe a tenth of a fuck at most...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The standard of refereeing in the Arsenal City game...

Gray

FH is my second home
Back to it I see! Nice long break from matches to get that result.

Baffled by Benitez' team selection and formation once more, 5 at the back but instead of utilising Digne (As any sensible person would) in his rightful position... He chooses to put him on the bench and stick Coleman in an unnatural position. It is clear Digne is out the door this window, something between him and Benitez has clearly gone on. Sure he hasn't played amazingly this past season, but I am sure I could name 10 others who are just as bad.

I hope the rumours are true and Holgate has been offered to Newcastle. We need to weaken them before we play them.

The fans are being petty perhaps with Rondon, sure he's been a tank (Or he's tanked?) but this goes right down to Benitez making the call. I'm glad we wasted no time in signing a player who is apparently very decent, but again this is at the expense of an established player who has been decent the past few years, without reinforcing the more important areas that are in need of immediate improvement....

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Surprised both at how shit Benitez has been, and that he hasn't been given the boot yet. He seems completely past it. Any team conceding 3 at home to Brighton is embarrassing quite frankly.

Gray

FH is my second home
I think getting 5 banged past us vs Watford was significantly worse haaa. Even more so when it was inclusive of a player deemed not good enough by our former World-Class manager....

Benitez held on by the skin of his teeth. The few matches in mid-December seemed to have made him "safe" again. Then it went to pot again. Hopefully now January is here he can put his print on the team and hopefully not screw us over. Inbound players seem positive, we've desperately needed someone to replace Coleman for a few seasons and we've acquired Patterson much cheaper than I thought

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Saints been bought out finally. Serbian & Danish billionaires, plus the bloke who masterminded Brentfords rise to the top.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Three an a half minutes to decide an offside.

joke
It took too long but you're being deliberately obtuse to say it took "three an a half minutes to decide an offside" - there were 3 or 4 separate things they checked. Watkins offside, whether Watkins touched it or not (if yes then Ings was offside), Ings hand ball and the Ramsey foul on Cavani on the edge of the box (from an offside position). If they'd have started with the (very obvious) Ramsey foul they'd have saved themselves a lot of time but they seem to start at the goal and work backwards.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You're being deliberately obtuse if you think a 3 and a half minute hold-up to a match whilst the ref saunters off to watch some TV is an advancement to the sport.

Embattle

FH is my second home
How did I guess what this was going to be about just by looking at who replied last :p

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom