2 clients with different settings on one computer

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
Found this in the 1.88b patch notes here

This is handy if you run main char with a big resolution and a second char on the same computer using a lower resolution, like I do.

If you run two instances of the game using the same client, but you have different settings for each one (such as having all the bells and whistles turned off on the second client), you�ll need to do a little creative editing to give your destination folders unique names.

Open the root directory for the first copy of the game. Create a text file (using Notepad or some such thing) called paths.dat. In that file, type

[paths]

on the first line. On the second line, type

settings=name1

("Name" can be whatever you want.) Log into your first copy of the game and get to the character selection screen. Log out.

Now go to the SECOND copy of the game, and repeat the process. This time, type

settings=name2

You have now created custom folders for your characters. Follow the directions under "Step by Step" for moving your .dat, .ini, and .ign files into the new destination folders.

Then go into this folder (use the run function):
%appdata% .. find the Electronic Arts folder, go into "Dark Age of Camelot"

I used:
[paths] <- goes into the top of paths.dat file
settings=main <- folder 1 (as in d:\games\daoc-main\paths.dat)
settings=buff <- folder 2 (as in d:\games\daoc-buff\paths.dat)

There you should have a few folders. I had mai, buf, LotM and DR. What you want is probably in the Lotm folder. note: the new folders for custom settings show up after you have started up the game once from each folder. For some reason it only used the first three chars in my custom names. "mai" and "buf". Anyway, I copied all the content from my "%appdata%\Electronic arts\Dark age of camelot\lotm" folder into "%appdata%\Electronic arts\Dark age of camelot\mai" and "%appdata%\Electronic arts\Dark age of camelot\buf". I then got all the quick login stuff and so on when starting up the clients again.

Sort the settings as you want them .. create seperate shortcuts on your desktop and all should be well. Settings saved in one of them will no longer affect the other.

Bit of a messy explanation there, but I hope it's mostly readable. :)

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Will do this later! Have rep

+2 green bubs

Bluesky

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the useful info - I'd been too lazy to find a way of doing this but it's all sorted now - cheers :)

PS: Rather than copying ALL the ini's and ign's multiple times I moved only the specific ones for each account into the new settings folders - less clutter that way :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Nice one, I am sure that will be helpful for alot of people. Thanks. :)

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
Will this allow me to have both a US and EU client installed at the same time? I tried(without this trick) but it just f***** up my EU client when i download a new US client.

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
if having the same folder for settings is a problem it should work just fine,

however remember to download and install the US client into a different folder than the EU one.

Wazkyr

One of Freddy's beloved
if having the same folder for settings is a problem it should work just fine,

however remember to download and install the US client into a different folder than the EU one.

I dont need 2 settings, just US and EU clients. They where installed in different folders, but my eu client could not login after installing us.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Then go into this folder (use the run function):
%appdata% .. find the Electronic Arts folder, go into "Dark Age of Camelot"

I used:
[paths] <- goes into the top of paths.dat file
settings=main <- folder 1 (as in d:\games\daoc-main\paths.dat)
settings=buff <- folder 2 (as in d:\games\daoc-buff\paths.dat)

There you should have a few folders. I had mai, buf, LotM and DR. What you want is probably in the Lotm folder. note: the new folders for custom settings show up after you have started up the game once from each folder. For some reason it only used the first three chars in my custom names. "mai" and "buf". Anyway, I copied all the content from my "%appdata%\Electronic arts\Dark age of camelot\lotm" folder into "%appdata%\Electronic arts\Dark age of camelot\mai" and "%appdata%\Electronic arts\Dark age of camelot\buf". I then got all the quick login stuff and so on when starting up the clients again.

Trying to sort this myself atm, but I'm totally stuck on this part.

In my AppData/Electronic Arts/DAoC folder I only have "LoTM" and that folder does not contain a "buff" or "buf" or a "mai" or even a "main", I've made files as instructed in the first part so it looks like this

DAoC1 Directory contains a paths.dat with

[paths]
settings=main

DAoC2 Directory contains a paths.dat with

[paths]
settings=bot

Anyway changing one client still alters the other one, what am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom