2 CD's that are must have

G

Gef

I dont mind going out and listening to dance music, not the commercial crap, thats for student clubs and school disco's. Find a nice club with some decent whilelabel house, someone half decent mixing and thats where its at. Thats what dance is for, dancing to, getting completely hammered and having a good ol dance.

What I dont get, is Billy buying it and sitting in his room listening to it at a full volume. Or Sharon in her Vauxhall Nova driving round town at 30mph with the windows down with drum n bass pumping out.

FUCK OFF!

PS. Mew - Frengers = win!

F

F.I.V

I thought audioslave's offering was called Cochise? =)

You actually had me scratching my head then wondering if I'd gotten it wrong. In all honesty I wasnt sure and I was gonna rant about "self titled albums" but RollingStone.com says it's called "Audioslave" too :)

Cochise was the first single though, if that was what you were thinking of?

Btw, what the heck is a "Cochise"? On top of that, how the heck is it pronounced? Is it "Coh-Cheese" or is it "Coh-Chyce" or is it even "Cock-hyse"?

I've just finished my A Level in English Language and Literature (among others) and this one has me stumped. Either it's a very unknown word, it was made up, or my teacher is dumber than I am :p :clap: :rolleyes:

D

Derric

Originally posted by old.LandShark
I'm not going to tell you not to dance to it; I'm not going to hurl stereotyped abuse at you; but I'm certainly not going to let you compare it to the same musical level as good rock, punk, folk, classical, metal, progressive or whatever-the-hell-else-that-ain't-DJ_iMakeThisShitInMyBreaksAtMcDonalds.

Sums everything up good imo.

Oh,and I wanna recommend Tool "Undertow" and Faith No More "King for a day,fool for a lifetime".
Hmm..nerf only 2 CD's,could keep going for hours here. :p

B

Brinx

Originally posted by F.I.V

Btw, what the heck is a "Cochise"? On top of that, how the heck is it pronounced? Is it "Coh-Cheese" or is it "Coh-Chyce" or is it even "Cock-hyse"?

A place in middle-America somewhere.

God that's such a boring album considering who made it. I can't think of any others that I have that feel as forced as that.

*wanders off to Down on the Upside*

L

lakih

Originally posted by arrakeen
Infact thats a song made by a danish duo called brøderne olsen and they won some contest i have no clue what is named in english :p

Wasnt it the Eurovision song contest?

M

mank!

Comparing electronica and guitar-based music is a waste of time. They were designed for different audiences for different reasons for different purposes. That said, the typical Ibiza trance type stuff is shite. I like quite a bit of electronica stuff, mostly the ambient stuff like Royksopp and Aphex Twin (SAW85-92 in particular) but mostly I listen to guitar stuff.

If people want to take drugs and listen to shit music, let them. They're braindead fuckers anyhow :>

Two albums? What the fuck do you mean two? That's just cruel.

If I have to choose only two, they'd be The Wall (or Dark Side Of The Moon, tough choice) by Pink Floyd and The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths. Probably.

V

Vell

Originally posted by arrakeen
Infact thats a song made by a danish duo called brøderne olsen and they won some contest i have no clue what is named in english :p

and in its original form its NOT harcore techno/house trust me :p

Indeed. Translated to English - This song, originally performed by the Olsen Brothers, won the Eurovision Song Contest, complete with guitars and a live band. The XTM version is a cover.

So in fact, by critising the lyrics used by XTM, yo uare i nfact critising the lyrics used by the Oslen Brothers, which just so happened to have won the most famous song writing contest there is in the world today.

Which in turn implies you don't have a clue :p

A song is not just about the lyrics, it's about the vocal performance, the melodies, the harmonies, and the moods it imparts on the listener.

Personally, I'd rather not listen to a group of sweaty men banging their instruments as hard as they can, shouting monotone rude or depressing lyrics into a microphone, with no melody and no harmony.

V

Vell

And back on topic - two albums I would recommend over any other are:

Madison Avenue - The Polyester Embassy. The moods generated by it swing you from one pole to another. Just cut out the remixes at the end, they're crap.

and

Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing. I have never heard a song that made me cry until I heard Angel. And the rest of the album is just as good, especially when you listen to the lyrics.

J

Jonaldo

hrm I saw Evanescence mentioned :rolleyes: they are another Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park shit rock band in my opinion.

Is so farkin hard to name just 2 cd's but let's give it a shot..
For starters, the best rock album ever made was "Pearl Jam - Ten".
Next I'll say Blind Melons eponymous debut album, almost flawless.

M

mank!

Originally posted by Vell
Personally, I'd rather not listen to a group of sweaty men banging their instruments as hard as they can, shouting monotone rude or depressing lyrics into a microphone, with no melody and no harmony.

You've not heard much rock music then, have you?

G

Gamah

ok well people seem to be stressing over the "wording" of the title so I will change it ^^.

Nothing like a good musical argument and remember when people say "its shite" thats an opinion if everyone liked the same thing the world would be most boring and classifying all people who like trance/house as druggies is the same as me classifying rockers/punks as greasy moshing smelly beasties :p..when clearly they are not..the world is full of steriotypical veiws and most of you display them here.

Well was good to have a nice musical arguement whether or not intended I half expected it!

Some people like rock, some like house, some like vocal dance look at me im in the charts rip off pants :p, and the end of the day we are all different so just accept it...This thread was made for fans of the above music but as expected on this board everyone has to give there 2 cents.

Ahh well anyway I still really recommend these 2 albums to anyone into that genere!

G

Gamah

Originally posted by Gef

What I dont get, is Billy buying it and sitting in his room listening to it at a full volume. Or Sharon in her Vauxhall Nova driving round town at 30mph with the windows down with drum n bass pumping out.

FUCK OFF!

PS. Mew - Frengers = win!

D&B can die as well as garage and all that crap :/..

If you rockers want to hear real shite listen to MC wankstain feat DJ Quickdribbleinnitinsideboselcta...DO NOT compare House and Trance to Garage and Drum and Base

F

F.I.V

hrm I saw Evanescence mentioned :rolleyes: they are another Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park shit rock band in my opinion.

Your opinion is flawed then, as if you'd even listened to the album and done even a tiny bit of research you'd know that they're all classically trained musicians.

Try seeing if that fucktard Fred Durst has that sort of background...

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by F.I.V
Your opinion is flawed then, as if you'd even listened to the album and done even a tiny bit of research you'd know that they're all classically trained musicians.

Try seeing if that fucktard Fred Durst has that sort of background...
hm no.

Classical training on an instrument may make you a good musician, but it gives nothing to artistic ability.
They may the best musicians in the universe for all I care, just a damn shame they're a shit rock band. I shit more talent twice a day than they'll ever have in their lifetimes :p

Steve Vai is the perfect example, arguably the best guitarist in the world, but he writes absolutely dire songs, most of which are just laughable 6000 notes per second wazz-fests.
On the other extreme Kurt Cobain was a poor, poor guitar player but yet managed to come up with a few great songs and as such will be noted in musical history a lot more than Mr Vai. And by the way I'm not a great Nirvana fan, he's just a good example to use.

A

Aoami

2 Cd's everyone should own are

Bjork - Post

Radiohead - Ok Computer

A

Arnor

Indeed. Translated to English - This song, originally performed by the Olsen Brothers, won the Eurovision Song Contest, complete with guitars and a live band. The XTM version is a cover.

So in fact, by critising the lyrics used by XTM, yo uare i nfact critising the lyrics used by the Oslen Brothers, which just so happened to have won the most famous song writing contest there is in the world today.

A song is not just about the lyrics, it's about the vocal performance, the melodies, the harmonies, and the moods it imparts on the listener.

ok, ONE thing:
dont fucking come here talking about euro-vision like its the fucking olympiade of music, eurovision is music made by sheep, for sheep. Nothing else, its 90% craptastic drivvel and everyone who has parttaken in that brainless shitfest thinking "omgrofle I almost won teh best songcontest!!!1111111" should be dragged out and forcefed a shotgun tbh.

that said, there have, in the course of eurovisions history been some "nice" songs. (cant remember a single one off the top of my head, but come ON, the odds of something not completely unbearable comming out of that euro-anus is just too small)

I will leave you with this lyric from Tool - Lateralus:

Black then white are, all i see in my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
Lets me see.

As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Black then white are, all i see in my infancy.
red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.
lets me see
there is so much more and beckons me
to look thru to these infinite possibilities.
As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind.

Feed my will to feel this moment, urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

I embrace my
desire to 2x
feel the rhythm, to
feel connected,
enough to step aside and,
weep like a widow, to
feel inspired, to
fathom the power, to
witness the beauty, to
bathe in the fountain, to
swing on the spiral, to
swing on the spiral, to

swing on the spiral of
our divinity and
still be a human

With my feet upon the ground I move myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in.
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
(Spiral out. Keep going. 4x)

ps: evanescense(wha-evvah) isnt really a ripoff of fred durst&co, its a ripoff of a finnish opera-metal band(nifty genre? :p ) called Nightwish who make pretty cool music.
(havent heard nightwish in a while, but that was who I was thinking of when I heard evanesencse(grr, fucking name))

M

mank!

Originally posted by Arnor
ps: evanescense(wha-evvah) isnt really a ripoff of fred durst&co, its a ripoff of a finnish opera-metal band(nifty genre? :p ) called Nightwish who make pretty cool music.

*click*!

You're dead right, and at least Nightwish are original with it.

F

F.I.V

I couldnt give two shits and a hotdog whether "Fly on the Wings of Love" was written by fucking William Shakespeare, I've thrown up after binges and made more desirable tunes and lyrical content than that song.

Ooh, they won the Eurovision Song Contest, big fuckin whoopie doo. Have you ever even seen and heard some of the entries?! Last year I remember there being a group of three guys dressed as [what looked like] Gay Airline Hostesses and they sounded like someone had strapped Gary Coleman to a lamp post and were wailing on him with a baseball bat.

The rest of the entries were barely any better.

Winning the Eurovision song contest doesnt mean shit in this day and age.

As for the jabs at rock and metal, have you ever listened to any? It's all well and good that you criticise it if it's not your cup of tea, but saying that all rock and metal contains screaming freaks with depression issues, no melody or harmony then you've obviously just listened to Slipknot and assumed that every band sounds like that.

Here's a list of bands and songs I can think of where the styles vary throughout each song. Yes, some of them contain screaming and shouting, but the other features of the songs more than make up for it:

Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade
Soilwork - As We Speak
Soilwork - Soilworker's Song of the Damned
Stone Sour - Inhale
Stone Sour - Monolith
Corrosion of Conformity - Over Me
Corrosion of Conformity - Stare Too Long
Audioslave - Like A Stone
Audioslave - I Am The Highway
Disturbed - Believe
Evanescence - Imaginary
Evanescence - My Last Breath
Nevermore - The Heart Collector
Nevermore - Believe In Nothing
The Darkness - Growing On Me
The Darkness - Love Is Only a Feeling
Staind - So Far Away
Staind - Outside
Staind - It's Been A While
Staind - Could It Be

There are hundreds more examples but I wont bother since even if you listened to all of these you'd probably still say it was crap. However, even if you listened to all of these and enjoyed each one thoroughly there's still a lot more music out there like this that you need to listen to before you label an entire genre by the antics of a single band.

V

Vell

Funny that you're all quite happy to make sweeping generalisations about other people's music tastes, but when someone else does the same to your tastes, you get all offended :p

A little hypocritical maybe?

A

Arnor

Funny that you're all quite happy to make sweeping generalisations about other people's music tastes, but when someone else does the same to your tastes, you get all offended :p

A little hypocritical maybe?

saying 99% of what eurovision spews out is muck isnt generalizing, its fucking soothsaying

G

Gef

Originally posted by Omniscieous

Is so farkin hard to name just 2 cd's but let's give it a shot..
For starters, the best rock album ever made was "Pearl Jam - Ten".
Next I'll say Blind Melons eponymous debut album, almost flawless.

You heard the Evanescence album? Or have you just heard that song in the charts? Because tbh that song is the worst on the album, the record company added cheeseboy rapping over the top of it. I have the original and its far better, I dont see how you can compare them to Limp Bizkit.

Blind Melon - No Rain, does rock tho, i'll give you that :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom