2 CD's that are must have

G

Gamah

2 CD's that are must have for House and Trance fans

Well its obvious we will get the guys saying omfg this music suxx0000r etc.

But if your into House, Hard dance, Trance etc read on.

I found the Ibiza - The History of Hard Dance CD to be a great listen, Tracks such as Des Mitchell - Welcome to the Dance, do it for the hard clubbers, as well as tunes like Dirt Devils - The Drill, it also brings you back to the old skool(ish) with classics like William Orbit - Babrbers Adagio For Stings and the unforgetable Binary Finary 1999,

There are remix of N-Trance - Set you Free (Rob Searle edit) which I really recommend, one of the only good remixes I have heard of old songs. The CD is a great comp. featuring guys like, Underworld - Born Slippy, The Prodigy - Voodoo People, Three Drives - Greece 2000 energy 52, Mauro Picotto to name a few. A great buy if you looking for a new CD to get you in that clubbing mood or just for listening too.

The second CD I picked up the other day was Godskitchen Worldwide.

This CD has a great selction of tunes from progessive to the more euphoric (sp?), with some classics and some new tunes and great mix, including System F - Spaceman, Pulsar - My Religion, some Three drives, Marco V, Freeloader, Dirt devils - Music is life (One of my favs) to name but a few. I found this comp. to contain some great tunes from some exelent DJ's great for getting in that clubbing mood or just kicking back and chilling too.

Both Great buys..some info

Ibiza - The History Of Hard Dance is released by Warner Dance, I got my copy from HMV for £15.99

Godskitchen - Worldwide is released by New State/Vital and again picked it up from HMV for £14.99

Hope this helps, oh if you dont like this type of music then feel free to flame but I am writing this for fellow fans!

Gamah out (Sorry for any typos :p)

L

lakih

If we make this thread "2 CD's that are must have", i would say; The Matrix OST and Iron Maiden - Best of the Beast...

:m00:

G

Gamah

na matrix sucked...the original soad self titled album was way better :eek:

S

Sharma

Aye Gamah, listened to it in the airport (history of hard dance) before i got on the plane home from Ibiza, its a great pair of CDs :D

C

cHodAX

Poxy orrible dance music, gifv some decent vocals and guitar anyday ;)

T

tris-

led zeppeling, early days & latter days. 2 CDs in 1 case does it count? :D

K

klavrynd

ibiza5.jpg

A

Arnor

Originally posted by klavrynd
ibiza5.jpg

thank god a fellow believer :great:

top 2 is some tool album (cant decide between em tbh, most likely anima or lateralus) and ixnay on the hombre by offspring i think.

G

Gamah

Well to be honest you could make the same about a metal album, I also like that sort of stuff although more ska punk :). Dunno why people waste there time insulting someone elses musical taste and yes it is normally just the rock/metal fans that get enjoyment from it..grow up!

And FYI I have never been offered drugs once in Ibiza! I take my own j/k :/

A

Arnor

Originally posted by Gamah
Well to be honest you could make the same about a metal album, I also like that sort of stuff although more ska punk :). Dunno why people waste there time insulting someone elses musical taste and yes it is normally just the rock/metal fans that get enjoyment from it..grow up!

And FYI I have never been offered drugs once in Ibiza! I take my own j/k :/

thats maybe because you are so easy they dont need to drug you to fark you?

that music you like (trance, dance, house, flouse whatever) is crap because its just random shit, its just computerized poo. THERE IS NO SOUL IN TRANCE-IBIZA-FUCKING-PISS-COMPUTAR-FEST

there, now pop some e's, dance your ass off with the other kids. enjoyy your heartattack at 28 and your multiple std's :great:

my 2c

G

Gamah

Originally posted by Arnor
thats maybe because you are so easy they dont need to drug you to fark you?

that music you like (trance, dance, house, flouse whatever) is crap because its just random shit, its just computerized poo. THERE IS NO SOUL IN TRANCE-IBIZA-FUCKING-PISS-COMPUTAR-FEST

there, now pop some e's, dance your ass off with the other kids. enjoyy your heartattack at 28 and your multiple std's :great:

my 2c

K

Go smoke some fucking weed with your (Mostly Depressive) guitar tooting hipocritical shit "Were against the system man!!" "Whats that a 2million record deal sure"

ANd its not soulless you just don't give it a chance, your defining a steriotypical view drilled into you by a hippocritcal culture so go get brainwashed some more noob etc

easy aint it!

G

Gamah

that music you like (trance, dance, house, flouse whatever) is crap because its just random shit,

Yes a great argument, I could say tool or machine head were just random shit too (oh but guess what I actully have formed my own opinion) by listening to all the albums, and I quite like them. Go buy one of these "crap because its just random shit" albums listen to it with an open mind THEN if you can still say its shit, fine.

Your narrowminded opinion that all music should be made with a fucking guitar, drums is complete stupidity.

K

klavrynd

fyi, i am NOT a metal fan. I listen to all sorts of music except pop and r&b (and yes this includes classical and folk)

just can't stand all the commercial hypes such as ibiza samplers and whatever is "cool" at the moment

A

Arnor

K

Go smoke some fucking weed with your (Mostly Depressive) guitar tooting hipocritical shit "Were against the system man!!" "Whats that a 2million record deal sure"

ANd its not soulless you just don't give it a chance, your defining a steriotypical view drilled into you by a hippocritcal culture so go get brainwashed some more noob etc

easy aint it!

never said that only good music is with a guitar. and I have listened to that crap, I just think the random bassdrums and the lightsticks and all that was pretty crap. I dont like it, i dont care very much of what a band stands for, I care about if they play good music or not. random dj#1245266723 doesnt play good music in my opinion.

and one dude, ripping parts of other songs, putting them together and spinning the record ISNT FUCKING SOUL, k?

k.

G

Gamah

Originally posted by klavrynd
fyi, i am NOT a metal fan. I listen to all sorts of music except pop and r&b (and yes this includes classical and folk)

just can't stand all the commercial hypes such as ibiza samplers and whatever is "cool" at the moment

And fyi nor can I, I mostly listen to white label and underground "commercial" would be that cheap shite vocal dance thats been around a lot which thank god is dying.

What you class as commerical is like that DJ Sammy (faod btw) like me saying linkin park was hardcore rock imo

G

Gamah

never said that only good music is with a guitar. and I have listened to that crap, I just think the random bassdrums and the lightsticks and all that was pretty crap. I dont like it, i dont care very much of what a band stands for, I care about if they play good music or not. random dj#1245266723 doesnt play good music in my opinion.

and one dude, ripping parts of other songs, putting them together and spinning the record ISNT FUCKING SOUL, k?

k.

read sig :/

F

F.I.V

//Long Post Inc!

I'm far from being a Dance/Trance/etc. fan by a long long shot, but the tunes and endless mixing isnt what makes me sick of the tripe that gets released on these endless Ibiza mix CDs, it's the God-awful attempt at deep and meaningful lyric writing or the half arsed attempt at putting a message across with one line repeated over and over, add infinitum.

For example, Benny Benassi's "Satisfaction":

(Note: These lyrics were provided by "www.toplyrics.net")

Push me , and than just touch me
so i can get my
satisfaction
satisfaction
satisfaction
satisfaction
satisfaction

(Woman)
so i can get my
satisfaction
satisfaction
satisfaction
satisfaction
satisfaction

(Man)
so i can get my
satisfaction

(Woman)
so i can get my
satisfaction

(Man)
Push, Push, Push, Push,
Push, Push, Push, Push,
Push, Push, Push, Push,
Push, Push, Push, Push

(Woman)
Push, Push, Push, Push,
Push, Push, Push, Push,
Push, Push, Push, Push,
Push, Push, Push, Push

(Man)
so i can get my
satisfaction, satisfaction, satisfaction,
Satisfaction, satisfaction, satisfaction,
Satisfaction, satisfaction, satisfaction,

(Woman)
so i can get my
satisfaction

(Man)
so i can get my
Satisfaction, satisfaction,
satisfaction, satisfaction, satisfaction,

(Woman)
so i can get my
satisfaction

(Man)
so i can get my
satisfaction

----------------------------------

Thankfully it's only a short song, but give it a few months and there'll be "extended vocal mixes", "lengthened pointless mixes" and God-knows what else that will only serve to add a few extra drum beats, an extra electronic whine and 10 minutes to the song's overall playtime.

I know that not all dance/trance/etc. songs have repetitive lyric writing like this, but if it's not repetitive like this it usually ends up as corny and cheesy and teeny-boppy like Britney Spears.

XTM - "Fly On the Wings of Love" (Lyrics provided by top40-charts.com)

Fly on the wings of love
Fly baby fly
Reaching the stars above
Touching the sky

In the summer night
When the moon shines bright
Feeling love forever
And the heat is on
When the daylight is gone
Still - happy together

There is just one more thing I would like to add
She is the greatest love I've ever had

Fly on the wings of love
Fly baby fly
Reaching the stars above
Touching the sky

And as time goes by
There is a lot to try
And I'm feeling lucky ooo yea
In the softest sand
Smiling hand in hand
Love is all around me

There's just one more thing I would like to add

Fly on the wings of love
Fly baby fly
Reaching the stars above
Touching the sky.

------------------------------

Now compare these lyrics with something by Metallica or Tool and you can even factor into it repetitive drum beats and repetitive guitar riffs if you like but in the end it still comes down to the fact that Rock/Metal takes a lot more crafting and working than Dance/Trance/etc.

Tool - "Pushit"

I will choke until I swallow...
Choke this infant here before me.
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?

But you're
Pushing and shoving me.
You still love me and you pushit on me.

Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear.

But you're pushing me,
Shoving me. Pushit on me.

Slipping back into the gap again.
I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down.

But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind.

Put me somewhere I don't wanna be.
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see.
Never wanna see that place again.

Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay.
Managed to push myself away,
And you, as well.

If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way.

There's no love in fear.

Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come.

Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your fucking throat away.
But it will end no other way.
It will end no other way.

------------------------------------

Metallica - "One"

I can’t remember anything
Can’t tell if this is true or dream
Deep down inside I feel to scream
This terrible silence stops me

Now that the war is through with me
I’m waking up I can not see
That there is not much left of me
Nothing is real but pain now

Hold my breath as I wish for death
Oh please god,wake me

Back in the womb it’s much too real
In pumps life that I must feel
But can’t look forward to reveal
Look to the time when I’ll live

Fed through the tube that sticks in me
Just like a wartime novelty
Tied to machines that make me be
Cut this life off from me

Hold my breath as I wish for death
Oh please god,wake me
Now the world is gone I’m just one
Oh god,help me hold my breath as I wish for death
Oh please God help me

Darkness imprisoning me
All that I see
Absolute horror
I cannot live
I cannot die
Trapped in myself
Body my holding cell

Landmine has taken my sight
Taken my speech
Taken my hearing
Taken my arms
Taken my legs
Taken my soul
Left me with life in hell

-----------------------------------

I know that not all Dance/Trance is as poor as the examples above but the reason that most of it is still "underground" isnt because DJ "X" or DJ "Y" have been offered deals and they've turned them down because they dont want to be sellouts, it's still "undeground" because it's typically worse than the rest of the stuff that is released in regards to sales potential and it's the same in all genres of music. You could spend a year carefully crafting a Dance/Trance album and putting your heart and soul into every track by crafting the tones to emotive sounds and end up with it not being "commercially viable", or you could probably whip a Dance/Trance album out and have it on the shelves in 2 weeks if you worked day in and day out at it and it could be seen as commercially viable, but if you try that with Rock/Metal you get Limp Bizkit...

R

Rhaed

this is a hard copy... First of all i wanna say that i do like house/trance/ etc. music preety much , but not when it has lyrics, specially that stupid. Most of it this kind of music is a state of mind if i can say so... but hey u dont have to like it..
And i like some good music to u know so im not a drug addict , pill takin' hardcore houser. I really enjoy some Frank Sinatra from other time , i do like some latino to dance with some chick ... about the rock i enjoy the guitar and drums and that ... but imo the lyrics kinda suck dont represent me and MOST of all I REALLY HATE the rockers which leve their hair big , dress in black and that shite and put on their hannds some fucked up leather/metal bracers with spikes thinking they are tough (many times me and my friends started picking up on what we call them scum of the society).

thats about it think that clasifiess it... oh and i do like some rnb some time , hip-hop i preety much enjoy..

PEACE OUT!

A

arrakeen

Originally posted by F.I.V
//Long Post Inc!

Fly on the wings of love
Fly baby fly
Reaching the stars above
Touching the sky

In the summer night
When the moon shines bright
Feeling love forever
And the heat is on
When the daylight is gone
Still - happy together

There is just one more thing I would like to add

Fly on the wings of love
Fly baby fly
Reaching the stars above
Touching the sky

And as time goes by
There is a lot to try
And I'm feeling lucky ooo yea
In the softest sand
Smiling hand in hand
Love is all around me

There's just one more thing I would like to add

Fly on the wings of love
Fly baby fly
Reaching the stars above
Touching the sky.

Infact thats a song made by a danish duo called brøderne olsen and they won some contest i have no clue what is named in english :p

and in its original form its NOT harcore techno/house trust me :p

Anyway i like house/trance/ etc. allso but mostly not the lyrics, but i allso like good old stuff like The Doors, Credence Clearwater, Pink floyd and Queen..

Conclusion: I like most music under the right circumstances!

O

old.LandShark

Arnor, hun, I think you might just possibly be going over the top as a result of work-induced boredom. I don't think there's any need for that much abuse :m00:
Even though Ibiza music is total shite, but, well, what can you do? It's not as if the endless record-label manufactured punk and metal groups aren't equally soulless trash.
I know you weren't comparing it to pop-metal/punk boybands, but still.... a little OTT on the flaming, surely.

On the subject of lyrics and meaningfulness - Yeah, I don't particularly want to enter into a debate on whether Tool songs have any relevant-to-everyday-life meaning or if Metallica actually give a fuck about stuff or if it's merely an image or whatever, but however you feel about that (merely examples; no flames plzkthnx) you have to admit they're more meaningful than the fourteenth remix of a song comprising only the words "I see you there baby, shaking that ass.". Even if that qualifies as a love song, quite frankly you can't seriously tell me any DJ actually has any emotional involvement with the music.
I have no objection to trance (or whatever) as a form of music, but the problem is I've yet to find a dance song/artist that isn't just churning out the meaningless sequencer refuse that fills Ibiza albums, for a quick buck. Sod it.

O

old.LandShark

K

easy aint it!

I'd like to make the point that I am fully aware of the hypocrisy in a band like, to take the ultimate example perhaps, Rage Against the Machine. However, I am willing to overlook it in such cases because I either agree with the politics (on an educated and informed basis, rather than because a cool rockstar professes to support them) or because of the simple fact that I god-damn love the music. Whether the artist is privately sincere or not, it evokes a a response on an emotional level, which in my opinion is the function of anything that purports to be art. The same, I personally cannot say of trace, dance, hard house and all the bloody rest of it.

I'm not going to tell you not to dance to it; I'm not going to hurl stereotyped abuse at you; but I'm certainly not going to let you compare it to the same musical level as good rock, punk, folk, classical, metal, progressive or whatever-the-hell-else-that-ain't-DJ_iMakeThisShitInMyBreaksAtMcDonalds.

Oh, and weed is no better or worse than alcohol, simple fact.

F

F.I.V

/salute Landshark

Couldnt agree more, mate!

One thing I should have added was that every genre of music has it's disgraceful acts. Pop has it's Britney Spears and clones, Rock has Limp Bizkit and Busted, and not being an expert on Dance/Trance I dont know of any specific act that is loathed with the same equality, but I'm sure there must be at least one.

Regardless, I'm not going to come out and outright say "Dance and Trance sucks" because I have neither the experience nor the authority to do so. I don't listen to it because I don't like the numerous tracks that I have listened to, but I haven't heard enough to outright define the entire genre as being a bag of arse.

Anyway, back on topic:

2 CDs that I recommend over any other are...

Audioslave's "Audioslave" & Evanescence's "Fallen"

...simply classic in my opinion.

O

old.LandShark

I thought audioslave's offering was called Cochise? =)
Anyhow, 2 amongst many 'must-have' CDs I'd say are Tool's Lateralus and Hell is For Heroes' Neon Handshake. If you said "You can only have two CDs in the world" I probably wouldn't choose that same pair... but I'll always have 'em in my collection.

C

Cyradix

I agree that Benny Benassi's "Satisfaction" might not be the greatest song around but have you seen the clip?? (the sexy arse version). Just put your fingers in your ears and enjoy the half nekkid women.... ;)

A

Arnor

Originally posted by old.LandShark
I'd like to make the point that I am fully aware of the hypocrisy in a band like, to take the ultimate example perhaps, Rage Against the Machine. However, I am willing to overlook it in such cases because I either agree with the politics (on an educated and informed basis, rather than because a cool rockstar professes to support them) or because of the simple fact that I god-damn love the music. Whether the artist is privately sincere or not, it evokes a a response on an emotional level, which in my opinion is the function of anything that purports to be art. The same, I personally cannot say of trace, dance, hard house and all the bloody rest of it.

I'm not going to tell you not to dance to it; I'm not going to hurl stereotyped abuse at you; but I'm certainly not going to let you compare it to the same musical level as good rock, punk, folk, classical, metal, progressive or whatever-the-hell-else-that-ain't-DJ_iMakeThisShitInMyBreaksAtMcDonalds.

Oh, and weed is no better or worse than alcohol, simple fact.

/bow

E

eynar

First of all, lemme point out my taste of music is very broad; going from classical to electronic stuff. Imho it's pretty narrow-minded to say something like "that album is bs cuz it's something from Ibiza" or similar things. Even the argument about the type of lyrics doesn't prove zip; I know tons of awesome songs without z single lyric in them for example. It's like those people who automatically say some song sux becuz "it's way too commercial". Sorry, but I couldn't care less whether it's commercial or not, from my point of view a nice or catchy tune is a nice tune, regardless of the fact it's commercial or from Ibiza or whatever.
And no matter how you turn things, in the end there's always the saying: "Over smaak valt niet te twisten", which would translate to something like: "You can't argue over taste"... (although only people with bad taste use this argument :clap: :clap: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom