1xtra

O

old.ignus

Does anybody else disagree about this radio station's existence? The first black station dedicated to black music? For years people of all races have strived to be treated as equals (apart from the French) and have pretty much suceeded apart from the odd nazi neighbours and Tony Blair encouraging British people to be racist by allowing imigrants to ruin our fine country. By this I mean its okay to make fun of somebody because they have ginger hair or they're fat even though these things can't be helped, but making fun of somebody because of the colour of their skin sparks outrage and lands you in the shit.
So why oh why do the BBC keep banging on about their black music station for black music only, sure black music has produced much talent and excellent music but to isolate it from all other forms of music with this title is a little bit racist if you consider that radio 1 and many other popular radio stations play a considerable amount of black music and that if a music station that was given the title white music station for white music only would cause outrage. Perhaps a better title would have been urban music station for urban music considering they mainly play rap, RnB, and UK garbage and not other forms of black music, so really it isn't a black music station at all, and from the bits I've heard it seems to me their DJs really need to learn better English and pronunciation skills.
Sorry about the rant but I really needed to get that off my chest, its been bugging me for ages.

Disclaimer: No blame will be accepted for poor spelling, punctuation, or grammar due to the 3am posting time and headache suffered by poster.

O

old.Dillinja

Totally agree with you mate, but you know you will probably get flamed here for having an opinion not everybody else agrees with.

They also play drum n bass on there, since when was drum n bass black music? :rolleyes:

L

leggy

That break from the forum was short lived dil.

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by old.ignus
Its a bit long innit :p

I think the point is that young black youth don't feel they have a radio station that plays music they like exclusively. So bbc in an attempt to fulfil their remit (they are supposed to give arts & entertainment to everyone or something like that anyhow :s) created 1extra.

Calling it black music is probably a bad idea since it disuades white artists from attempting to join 'the scene'. But calling it a 'black station' is merely saying that its a station geared towards the black youth and his/her musical interests. Saying that, its a bit dodgy saying/assuming the black youth all like the same music. I've never given much attention to 1extra so I'm not sure they do call it a 'black station for black music'. But hey they might :s

Also I like 6music (or whatever its called) its got a more indie edge but plays music that I wouldn't normally hear (or bother trying). I like that in a radio station. :)

X

Xtro

Originally posted by old.Dillinja
Totally agree with you mate, but you know you will probably get flamed here for having an opinion not everybody else agrees with.

1. If someone flames you tell them to fuck off.

2. Don't ever fucking care if everyone else doesn't agree with your opinion.

3. Never ever heard of 1extra? Is it a London only thing?

S

sonicyouth

Originally posted by Xtro
3. Never ever heard of 1extra? Is it a London only thing?

It's a digital radio station. It just plays rap, R&B etc. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this, there are radio station for alternative music so why not black music?

C

Clowneh!

Most people looks at this kind of music as 'Black' music. It's not a radio station just for black people tho... Just whoever feels like listening to Rap, RnB, Dancehall, blah blah, they know where to go.

M

Maljonic

In response to the first post; I don't disagree with the station's existance. I know what you're getting at sort of... but I think the station exists because the musicians themselves feel a need for it to exist. Like the black music awards; loads of big names turn up for that because they think it's important. I don't think it's seperating them from other races exactly, more from crappy boy/girl bands that soppy teenagers go for and such...

I suppose that the BBC might be milking it a bit to make themselves sound [insert trendy word], but apart from that I think it's great.

O

old.ignus

Re: Re: 1xtra

Originally posted by doh_boy
I think the point is that young black youth don't feel they have a radio station that plays music they like exclusively. So bbc in an attempt to fulfil their remit (they are supposed to give arts & entertainment to everyone or something like that anyhow :s) created 1extra.

Calling it black music is probably a bad idea since it disuades white artists from attempting to join 'the scene'. But calling it a 'black station' is merely saying that its a station geared towards the black youth and his/her musical interests. Saying that, its a bit dodgy saying/assuming the black youth all like the same music. I've never given much attention to 1extra so I'm not sure they do call it a 'black station for black music'. But hey they might :s

Also I like 6music (or whatever its called) its got a more indie edge but plays music that I wouldn't normally hear (or bother trying). I like that in a radio station. :)

Where did you get that quote by me from? That isn't me I've never used that smiley and I never say innit (apart from just then)

I can't say I've ever heard of an alternative radio station and if there is one it certainly isn't advertised as well as one extra.

C

Clowneh!

lol iggy

The guy just cut out your essay type post for ease of reading. I think he was referring to your original post tho.

O

old.ignus

those words weren't in my original post. As I said I never say innit and I don't use that smiley.

W

Wij

Black music is just a phrase. You don't have to be black to be on 1xtra and you CERTAINLY don't have to be black to listen to it. I'd bet you there are more white listeners than black. No problem with it at all. Plenty of people like the music. Chill.

O

old.ignus

Can somebody tell me how to convert an MP3 into a wav file so I can copy it to CD?

C

Clowneh!

those words weren't in my original post. As I said I never say innit and I don't use that smiley.
Yeh, he put them in himself :)
He was just referring to ur original post which he probably felt too long to quote :p

Anyway, couldn't you just burn the mp3 straight to the CD with NERO? No need to convert to WAV with that. Or summat.

R

ReActor

I kind of agree with Ignus. 1Xtra seems a bit pointless to me. Even the local radio stations round here play a decent amount of urban music. Radio 1 has Trevor Nelson's show, Dreem Teem, Tim Westwood* and Chris Goldfinger doing weekly shows (and they're playing Beyonce every second song to boot). Urban music is the most popular genre in the entire world, hip hop artists some of the biggest stars. There's an entire award ceremony for "Music Of Black Origin' (which is dumb anyway because Rock n Roll, Blues, Techno, Urban, Jungle, Reggae and pretty much every other form of modern music is of black origin). What I mean is, Urban music is ubiquitous in this country as it is (not that that's a bad thing as such) and to have an extra radio station dedicated to black music seems a little OTT. Still, what can you do? If it attracts a decent amount of listeners, I spose it's serving a purpose.

* Yeah, I know he isn't black but his show definitely is.

T

Trem

Can somebody tell me how to convert an MP3 into a wav file so I can copy it to CD?

Doesn't Nero do it automatically?

Anyhoo try Nero.

S

sonicyouth

Originally posted by Trem

Anyhoo try Nero.

Nero does it automatically, you are correct!

W

Wazzerphuk

Originally posted by Wij
Black music is just a phrase. You don't have to be black to be on 1xtra and you CERTAINLY don't have to be black to listen to it. I'd bet you there are more white listeners than black. No problem with it at all. Plenty of people like the music. Chill.

I don't have a problem with any kinds of music or anything, but he does have a point. Imagine if MOWOs were set up (Music Of White Origin), hundreds would be violently hurt.

There's this huge double standards thing, it's ok for one but not the other, somehow. It's an amusing predicament.

M

maxi--

Originally posted by Wazzerphuk
I don't have a problem with any kinds of music or anything, but he does have a point. Imagine if MOWOs were set up (Music Of White Origin), hundreds would be violently hurt.

There's this huge double standards thing, it's ok for one but not the other, somehow. It's an amusing predicament.

You'd be limitedt o Chaz & Dave and possibly some Hungarian Folk, as most music is of black origin.

Not the point anyway, read the above posts, they explain it OK, and i can't be arsed

O

old.ignus

Its the title that bothers me most, I don't really have a problem with the station apart from all the presenters talk the same way most people type a text message. It just makes me think that black people don't want to be equal anymore, they enjoy being different by having their own seperate things, like the mobo awards is another thing that bugs me in exactly the same way.

Nero may be good but I don't want to buy it, I used to use soundforge to convert the files but I don't have that anymore.

E

ECA

Can I get the BBC to set up a music station for *white* music.

I wonder if that would get the same reception as 1extra.

No colour branded station should ever have been setup.

Oh and *black kids dont feel like they have a station to listen to*

fucking bollocks.

Ignorami.

M

madmurdoch

Who's got a digital radio anyway?!?!?!
They could be broadcasting the shipping forecast 24/7 and no-one would ever know..

D

doh_boy

I listen on the internet :) (to 6music cba with all that 'urban music malarky')

D

Dodgy Geeza

Converting MP3 to Wav

Originally posted by Trem

Anyhoo try Nero.

There is also a plugin for Winamp that saves the MP3 to Wav file format.
If you don't wanna buy Nero - then download the trial version and uninstall (get cRacK imo) when you are done with it.

DG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom