1Mb and 2Mb Nildram ADSL

S

Summo

I can't get cable broadband and have been with Nildram for a happy few years, so I was very interested to read this:

Following extensive trials Nildram, one of the UK’s highest performing Broadband Internet Service Providers, have launched two new higher speed Broadband services aimed at home and SoHo users.

Now occupying the number one slot for an amazing seventh month in a row on the UK’s leading independent Broadband reference site, adslguide.org.uk, Nildram have today announced the completion of their a trial for two new Nildram Broadband services: Nildram dslXtra1000 and Nildram dslXtra2000. According to Nildram, these trials have been a major success and the company has now launched these exciting new services into the marketplace.

Available from today, the full services share the same 256k upload speed of Nildram’s popular entry level services, but with impressive 1Mbps and 2Mbps download speeds, bringing higher speed Broadband services using Nildram’s industry renowned backbone network to a wider audience. Orders for the new services can be placed from 18:00 on the 11th April 2003 by visiting: http://www.getadsl.co.uk/checker.php

Code:
Service          Activation(inc VAT)       Monthly(inc VAT)        Minimum Term

dslXtra1000       £58.75                       £39.99                 1 Month
dslXtra2000       £58.75                       £58.00                 1 Month
More info here. I shall be making enquiries tomorrow. :)

M

ManDevil

I've been with Nildram a while too. And am going for the 2mb line. :D

But from what I've read on the ADSLguide forums, because it is based on slightly different technology (DATAstream not IPstream like you are currently on), BT have to alter some hardware at the exchange, so they have to cease your current ADSL line, before they can put the new one on and atm this means you'll be about a week without ADSL :(

Also I'm not sure but you might have to pay another activation fee of £58. Oh and there is a 150GB per month limit on both the 1&2mb lines (but that's plenty anyway).

E

Embattle

TBH its the same sort of pricing as Blueyonder, I was tempted to go for 2meg but it also only has 256k so I decided against it....just isn't worth it.

J

Jonty

To be honest, all 2Mbps services seem somewhat excessively priced at the moment. Considering it costs around £696 per annum, excluding setup and hardware costs, you'd have to be on it a lot to justify that kind of price.

I'm assuming the upload rate is capped so low to deter people from file sharing or using their connection as a web server? I know the network I'm on claim that most of the stress on their systems comes from people uploading through P2P services :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

E

Embattle

I would think that is part of the reason, but I would also guess it partly down to current limitations of offering more upload.

T

Testin da Cable

I have a 512kbit upload and I must say it's quite handy. I still feel you guys have to pay through the nose for BB services, but I expect the healthy economy has something to do with that :)

C

Clowneh!

nildram related, kinda, but i didnt wanna make a new thread cuz thats scary :)

its £32/month for that ratio thing of 20:1 and uits 29.99/month for 50:1

would i be noticing any difference in performace between these two packages (512 adsl)

rar

or something

C

.Cask

Originally posted by Clowneh!

would i be noticing any difference in performace between these two packages (512 adsl)

Only if you're getting less than 512k speeds at peak time which I doubt you are. And I've seen your pings and you have no problems there either.

Tempted to go for 1meg but as SWALEC have started charging £1,000+ a year for electricity in my shitty little student flat I doubt I can afford it :/

Users who are viewing this thread