DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
well that came in under the radar. Want, and want now. Do you reckon its all the old BF1942 maps?

*edit* Its only the three Pacific Maps, Iwo, Wake and Guadalcanal. Shame, the North Africa maps were my favourite. Still good though, and I guess it will be available through Steam.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yeah but I'm guessing more of them will appear at a later date.

Zede

Part of the furniture
will be modded to hell within 6 months with more maps than u can eat cookies !

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Whats so good about it? 24 players max. The whole point of 1942 was the 64 player games (or was it 128 I don't remember).

It may be updated graphics but they still don't look that good really.

I'll stick to BF2 :p

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
24 players, 3 classes, 3 maps, no server browser (shitty match-making service), download only, regenerating health, unlimited ammo. The graphics are hardly an improvement on BF1942, let alone BF2 - and although the new Frostbite engine looks quite fancy and allows for smashing down trees, I don't think that alone is worth a purchase.

Heavily dumbed down version of 1942. The trailer was impressive, but the more information that's released the less it looks like a decent game and more a quick cash-in for DICE / EA.

I also doubt there'll be any modding tools for it.

Zede

Part of the furniture
24 players, 3 classes, 3 maps, no server browser (shitty match-making service), download only, regenerating health, unlimited ammo. The graphics are hardly an improvement on BF1942, let alone BF2 - and although the new Frostbite engine looks quite fancy and allows for smashing down trees, I don't think that alone is worth a purchase.

Heavily dumbed down version of 1942. The trailer was impressive, but the more information that's released the less it looks like a decent game and more a quick cash-in for DICE / EA.

I also doubt there'll be any modding tools for it.

The BF series has always been about the Mods. I have a 5 comp LAN set up, and we more often than not play something starting with Battlefield.. AIX2, Black Ops Mercs, Reality Mod, Zombie Mod, Stargate mod - you dont buy a BF game to use the original game play, mods are much more fun.

1943 will be no different i suspect.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
My guess is no modding tools will be released for it. It's simply a stop-gap until BF:BC2 - a means to test the Frostbite engine and get a couple of extra ££ out of the BF fan.

I'll go so far as to predict that they'll release 'expansions' (sorry, Booster Packs) for it, another set of 3 maps for £10, a new theatre for £15 - releasing modding tools would be counter-productive.

And if they do release tools for it - why mod this? Why not wait until BF:BC2 is released, when you're going to have a much wider range of assets to play with - a much more complete game.

BF2 might have been 'all about the mods' - BF1942 certainly wasn't. There wasn't such a thing for it when the vanilla game was released in 2002. People bought BF1942 because they had such a good laugh on the Wake demo. It was something new, a departure from the stale infantry only combat of CS etc.

Zede

Part of the furniture
My guess is no modding tools will be released for it. It's simply a stop-gap until BF:BC2 - a means to test the Frostbite engine and get a couple of extra ££ out of the BF fan.

I'll go so far as to predict that they'll release 'expansions' (sorry, Booster Packs) for it, another set of 3 maps for £10, a new theatre for £15 - releasing modding tools would be counter-productive.

And if they do release tools for it - why mod this? Why not wait until BF:BC2 is released, when you're going to have a much wider range of assets to play with - a much more complete game.

BF2 might have been 'all about the mods' - BF1942 certainly wasn't. There wasn't such a thing for it when the vanilla game was released in 2002. People bought BF1942 because they had such a good fucking laugh on the Wake demo. It was something new, a departure from the stale infantry only combat of CS etc. I can honestly say I've only heard of one, maybe two of those mods you've listed - I and many others still play the vanilla game because all the mods in the world can't come close to that of the original.

Then i suggest you play the said mods, and be plesently surprised ! And of course no new games have mods for them when they first come out..kinda self explanatory. Have you played BF1942 ? The Star Wars mod was legendary, and set the standard for all future mods, what ever game. Every BF game has been modded, a destructable environment will be to much temptation for the teams of modders out there.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
heh

I got BF1942 on the day of release (played the Wake demo since that was released). I was also briefly on the dev team for Galactic Conquest. I know all the ins and outs of modding BF games.

Regardless of the temptations that the engine provides if there are no tools released there's no possible way it can be modded. The teams could be queuing up to release mods, but if they [DICE] use some random file system that can only be accessed via their own software then the modders will be shit outta luck.

Every BF game has been modded because DICE released the tools or some clever bugger in the community produced unpacking software (as was the case with 1942 and the .rfa files).

The fact is, DICE shouldn't be relying on mod teams to help them bolster the game content - they should release something substantial in the first place.

Zede

Part of the furniture
heh

I got BF1942 on the day of release (played the Wake demo since that was released). I was also briefly on the dev team for Galactic Conquest. I know all the ins and outs of modding BF games.

Regardless of the temptations that the engine provides if there are no tools released there's no possible way it can be modded. The teams could be queuing up to release mods, but if they [DICE] use some random file system that can only be accessed via their own software then the modders will be shit outta luck.

Every BF game has been modded because DICE released the tools or some clever bugger in the community produced unpacking software (as was the case with 1942 and the .rfa files).

The fact is, DICE shouldn't be relying on mod teams to help them bolster the game content - they should release something substantial in the first place.

EA & the like never invest enough, thats for sure. We have been beta testing & improving ourselves since WoW i guess. Why bother adding content if someone else will do it for u for free ?.

One thing I would like, maybe you can advise if its possible. Give a mod for 42 & Vietnam that gives SRRINT :clap:

Sar

Part of the furniture
Whats so good about it? 24 players max. The whole point of 1942 was the 64 player games (or was it 128 I don't remember).

Clan games in 1942 were usually 12 v 12, so 24 players is fine with me.

Sar

Part of the furniture

I believe the "test" of Frostbite would have been the original BC?

And you can't say there will be no modding tools, it's only just been announced!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
*rubs hands together*

Fucking loved BF1942, this looks like a nicely slicked up version of it. I'll be having a slice of this.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
I believe the "test" of Frostbite would have been the original BC?

And you can't say there will be no modding tools, it's only just been announced!

Testing the Frostbite engine on the PC platform.

If you're a true fan of 1942, you have to feel short changed when it comes to this half-arsed release.

And while I agree I can't say that no modding tools will be released, I can say from experience that I very much doubt they will. EA don't want you playing this for too long - they have BF:BC2, the next 'major' BF release coming in 2010. They want you playing 1943 as a stop gap until then - keep the interest up in the Battlefield Franchise.

As for BF:Heroes, the less said about that the better.

Sar

Part of the furniture
"If you're a true fan..."

Oh puhlease, I played for one of the best BF clans in Europe, and got us into playing BF to begin with.

Needless to say, I'm somewhat of a fan.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Actually, that wasn't directed at you - I meant people in general.

Which clan btw?

Embattle

FH is my second home
I bought all the 1942 expansions so that makes me a true fan and a prat :clap:

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, we all remember how you used to play BF42 Embattle!

And to be fair, I bought RtR - which wasn't too bad for a while (you can't argue with the inclusion of the Mossie).

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'll have you know using a bomber in crash into a tank is perfectly valid when annoyed.

DaGaffer

I'll have you know using a bomber in crash into a tank is perfectly valid when annoyed.

Ah, happy days :)

NB. Cdr, BF:BC2 is the next console installation for BF, chances are it will be BF3 on PC. The Dice developers are already talking about it.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Which clan btw?

PR^ aka Phoenix Rising. We were pretty much ever presents in the top 3 clans in Europe in 1942, BF2 and 2142.

Just hoping we can get our players back for this.

Sar

Part of the furniture
And yes, crash bombing aircraft into enemy tanks is both great fun and perfectly legit. Esp when playing Japanese :)

DaGaffer

Installed and tried to play my old copy of BF2 the other day, a combination of punkbuster hating vista in a major way and unsupported screen resolution made that a short trip down memory lane...

Embattle

FH is my second home
Installed and tried to play my old copy of BF2 the other day, a combination of punkbuster hating vista in a major way and unsupported screen resolution made that a short trip down memory lane...

Yeah I know what you mean, last time I tried it wasn't exactly very good and thus didn't last due to technical issues.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
PR^ aka Phoenix Rising. We were pretty much ever presents in the top 3 clans in Europe in 1942, BF2 and 2142.

Just hoping we can get our players back for this.
The same PR from wireplay days?

Sar

Part of the furniture
The same PR from wireplay days?

The very same :)

And from a quick read of our priv forums tonight it looks like we'll be getting nearly all the old gang back together again!

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Ah, happy days :)

NB. Cdr, BF:BC2 is the next console installation for BF, chances are it will be BF3 on PC. The Dice developers are already talking about it.

afaik, BF:BC2 is also being released on the PC. Whether this constitutes the fabled 'BF3' I dunno.

And Sar - damn PR^ - the bane of our clan you were. Countless times I've gotten just a bit angry in a clan game against PR^ because of your damn pilots - still, all damn good fun ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom