17" Flat Screen Monitor

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I may make the move to a flat screen monitor at last.
If I do, can anyone recommend one not too dear? On OCUK they seem to go from 100 to 200 quid, but whats the difference? Is >8ms response time needed, or is 12 ok?
Cheers luvs

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I've got a Samsung Syncmaster 930bf off OCUK mate, can't fault it and you play the same sort of games as me. I think its 8ms, the 12ms always seemed to blur when turning fast.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I've got a 19" Iiyama prolite H481S in black Throd. It's not 17" but it is "8ms"* and certainly looks the mutts. On my (and some other people's) recommendation others have bought it and I've not heard any complaints. Price should be coming down nicely too as it's "getting on" in monitor years.

*be aware that most time ratings are a load of cock. My Iiyama is 8ms, which I suppose evens out to ~25ms or so in the real world of colour shifting and I have not seen any kind of ghosting or jittering at all.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Im concerned. I want one, becasue Ive got a new desk and need the space. But everything I read on the OCUK forum says they're still not as good as a CRT for games.
But you have them and they are fine.
I think Ill think a bit more :)

ps trem Im back :)

TdC

they're amazing mate. the only thing I think you should worry about is this: make sure that your system (video card/cpu tbh) can do the resolution / colour depth / AA / AF you want in the native resolution that the TFT will be running in or the picture will (imo) look less good than it could be.

example: my Iiyama runs native at 1280x1024, ergo I'll be wanting to play all my games at that rez. Some screens run higher, 1600x1200, and the widescreens are exotic, like 1900x1400 and stuff iirc. If you get a screen that runs a high rez, you should know that your system can deliver the goods, or you'll enjoy it less than you should.

Trem

Throd has the same card as me(6800GT)so I can always tell him my settings, thinking about it I think my monitor is 4ms.

You have to remember that you have a considerably slower processor than me though throd.

*prays throd doesn't read the half life section*

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Thats partly the issue, I always play CSS at 1024-768, so I can get my precious 100 fps :)

TdC

aha I see! tbh this is where TFTs also differ from CRTs imo: I run my TFT at 60Hz (it's either 60 or 72 iirc). Now, 60Hz on a CRT would have me climbing the walls in agony as I've very sensitive to screen flicker, but 60Hz on a TFT is like looking at a painting, because the pixels are just "on" all the time.

A CRT would be percieved to flicker as the fosforus starts to go down before the electron gun gets back to it.

Trem

Well thats what I run mine at throd and its sweet.

I have tried many TFT's btw and this one is the only one that does CSS as I want it. I did have to mess a little at the beginning but its great now.

Go get one of mine then we will almost be married.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
TdC said:
aha I see! tbh this is where TFTs also differ from CRTs imo: I run my TFT at 60Hz (it's either 60 or 72 iirc). Now, 60Hz on a CRT would have me climbing the walls in agony as I've very sensitive to screen flicker, but 60Hz on a TFT is like looking at a painting, because the pixels are just "on" all the time.

A CRT would be percieved to flicker as the fosforus starts to go down before the electron gun gets back to it.

Some cheap TFT's can suffer from nasty strobing type effects which cause headaches though due to crap backlignting. We've had a lot of bog standard HP 17's here at work and trying to read documents with a white background is giving a lot of people headaches as the letters appear to jump around.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Because you asked yesterday....

I run CSS @ 1920 *1200 with no AA and 2* AF, shadows and models are at medium and the other effects are at high. That runs lovely and I don't notice any fps problems. I have also run it at lower res's so I can have AA on, it scales fine on my monitor. And thats on a 9800pro.

So don't worry too much about getting a big ole monitor, CSS will run fine (your other games may not!)

TdC

yaruar said:
Some cheap TFT's can suffer from nasty strobing type effects which cause headaches though due to crap backlignting. We've had a lot of bog standard HP 17's here at work and trying to read documents with a white background is giving a lot of people headaches as the letters appear to jump around.

aha, but that's cos they suck isn't it. saving up an extra couple of tenners isn't going to hurt Throddy :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Well,Ive done it, Ive bought a Viewsonic VX922 in 19" because its the best rated on OCuk :)
/me crosses fingers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom