News $14 billion profit and zero tax to pay

rynnor

Rockhound
I said it there; because if they took it away, the companies that are here (like Google), would be gone about 30 seconds later.

That actually proves my point if you think about it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
That actually proves my point if you think about it.

No, not really, because you've got examples like Dell who left even with the tax rate in place. I used Google because they are probably the best example of corporate America at its most tax-avoidingly-rapacious.

rynnor

Rockhound
No, not really, because you've got examples like Dell who left even with the tax rate in place. I used Google because they are probably the best example of corporate America at its most tax-avoidingly-rapacious.

Yes but without the low tax rate would they have been there in the first place?

DaGaffer

Yes but without the low tax rate would they have been there in the first place?

No. But Google didn't come in to Ireland to create jobs either. Initially it was literally just a finance dept. They've expanded since, but given the ratio of how much Google earns to how many staff they have here, you'd hardly say its been a winning formula for job creation.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I worked for Xerox in Dublin, they came for same reason as Google - low taxes, but as soon as their tax credit ended they moved everything they didnt have to keep in Ireland to Bulgaria, most of the rest of their staff moved to Scotland

the only thing that stayed was their B2B support section, and to work there you need to be bilingual in a "major" european language (sorry no Gaelic or Welsh allowed :p )

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Mate of mine is cunilingual, every time he opens his mouth he makes a right cnut of himself. :D

Keep hearing the same story from Ireland, companies move in, take the tax breaks and credits in the early years to boost profits but when they end the companies ship out most of the jobs leaving behind a skeleton staff to take advantage of the low corporation taxes. Sad really but the whole celtic tiger thing was always going to backfire in the longterm, you don't build a house on sand but Ireland built entire estates and now have a debt that will take generations to clear. Sadly it looks like the begining of the lost generations again for Ireland, the future is so bleak for the young that many will move to other countries for opportunity, just the same as my parents did in the early 1970's.

rynnor

Rockhound
Sadly it looks like the begining of the lost generations again for Ireland, the future is so bleak for the young that many will move to other countries for opportunity, just the same as my parents did in the early 1970's.

Its the reality for most small countries like New Zealand etc. - is it so terrible?

Helme

Resident Freddy
Are you seriously asking if young people being forced from their home country is terrible?

Seriously?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
pretty heartbreaking to be honest, my cousin is still in Ireland and is going to a leaving party almost every week as a friend or family member of a friend moves to the US, Canada, Britain, Germany, Australia or New Zealand (at least they seem the most popular destinations!)

tierk

Part of the furniture
Are you seriously asking if young people being forced from their home country is terrible?

Seriously?

Sorry to sound callous but so what?

It has been happening all over the world for as long as people have populated this planet, just because this time it is because of a banking crisis makes it especially worse or different?

People are forced to leave their home countries for a billion and one reasons: war, famine, economic hell even just a change of scenary.

The list is almost endless when you really think about it and it is certainly not the end of the world.

rynnor

Rockhound

Seriously?

Overreact much?

No-ones forcing them but if they want better prospects they probably ought to move if they can.

DaGaffer

Overreact much?

No-ones forcing them but if they want better prospects they probably ought to move if they can.

So, as well as the whole of the north of England, Scotland and Wales moving to the South-East, you're keen for the Irish to ramp up their numbers as well?

rynnor

Rockhound
So, as well as the whole of the north of England, Scotland and Wales moving to the South-East, you're keen for the Irish to ramp up their numbers as well?

I wouldnt come here tbh - I think we are looking at a decade of stagnation.

Maybe Australia or the US if I had to pick. I fully expect people in the UK to be doing the same thing - look how many unemployed graduates and young people we have now - we are in a pretty similar situation.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The AstraZeneca deal was probably partly the government trying to avoid another Pfizer.

Maybe Australia or the US if I had to pick. I fully expect people in the UK to be doing the same thing - look how many unemployed graduates and young people we have now - we are in a pretty similar situation.

I tend view most the world will probably stagnate in real terms, naturally there will be exceptions by sector.

Well I'm not convinced that those two countries offer much more, one is in debt up to it's eyeballs at state and federal level and has considerable amounts of its own unemployed, while the other is boosted by mineral wealth.

DaGaffer

Younger Irish people may go to Oz because they can get a work permit; the US is hard for anyone, and all those unemployed Irish 30-somethings will head for London simply because its one of the few places open to them without any hassle. Its always been the same; back in the dark days of the Irish diaspora, there were always far more Irish emigrants to the UK than the US or Australia, despite what mythology would have you believe (its why about 1 in 10 Brits can claim at least one Irish ancestor).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom