1 reason why Star Wars is bol@x

O

old.job

You know the so-called heroic rebel force could be compared to Al -Queda, a small force of heroes fighting a hugely more powerful force, who support regimes that kill and enslave their friends. Notice how Jedi is a religion, and one has to belive in the force to gain strentgh from it to defeat your enemies.
The explosion of the Death Star could be compared to the destruction of the twin towers, just as many innocent people must have died in the Death star, but of course to the rebels they were all guilty by association.
It is funny how in the movies we support the terrorist, but despise him in real life.

D

Damon_D

Aye and Donald Duck is a real live person....

O

old.Xarr

Originally posted by old.job
You know the so-called heroic rebel force could be compared to Al -Queda, a small force of heroes fighting a hugely more powerful force, who support regimes that kill and enslave their friends. Notice how Jedi is a religion, and one has to belive in the force to gain strentgh from it to defeat your enemies.
The explosion of the Death Star could be compared to the destruction of the twin towers, just as many innocent people must have died in the Death star, but of course to the rebels they were all guilty by association.
It is funny how in the movies we support the terrorist, but despise him in real life.

ehhhhh, you're kidding right?

O

old.ivan

1)Jedi is not a religion.. its a cult because it isnt widespread enough to be a religion.
2) Al-Q is extremist movement hence they arent regular Coran followers. Jedi isnt all that :)

3) Besides fightintg against the system and rebellous attitude has been the major trend for ages now.. so it is sort of silly to asume that the two cases imply and encourage fighting vs system :)

4) Stop taking entertainment seriously :)

S

SilverHood

Jedi is not a religion.. its a cult because it isnt widespread enough to be a religion.

its an official religion in the UK...

O

old.job

Well it almost made official, because enough people put it down on the national census, but they wouldn't actually register it as an official religion because only 'sensible' religions are allowed????????
So believing something featuring in a movie that states there is a force present everywhere in the universe that we can tap into with the correct state of mind is 'silly'.

But to believe that a supreme omnipotent entity called God who speaks to us through a dribbling old rich guy in Italy, and allows occasional dodgy miracles is 'sensible'.

What I was getting at is that, even though it's a movie, the message sent was that it was good to destroy the evil empire and all attached to it, even though by design that death Star must of been full of ten of thousands of innocent workers.

'Innocent', but seen by terrorists as guilty by association.

So my complaint about the film is that it reinforced a very simplistic idea about the fight between good and evil.

T

talen_sun

Star Wars - 1977
Twin Towers - 2001

Star Wars - a love story, good versus evil (hmmm, just like most films)
Twin Towers - extremists fighting for what they believe in

Star Wars - special effects done in a studio with actors
Twin Towers - Real Life

Stop being a twat and get a grip on reality. Jesus... anyone got any more completly dumbass links???

Superman and the washington sniper anyone...???? - cause Superman has laser eyes and can see for miles, so could kill anyone and no-one else would know...

<Did anyone notice my sacrasm there??>

Oh, and for reference, the Death Star was destroyed because it was a WEAPON that could destroy planets. (And was on the verge of destroying Yavin)If you are gonna associate the Rebels with Al-Crapeda, then why didn't rebels go to Corusant and blow up civilians..um, because they wern't sitting inside a huge feaking PLANET DESTROYING SHIP!!!!!!

And doesn't that make the Empire the terrorists because they completley destroyed Allderaan all because they wanted some info... hmmm, who are the terrorists???

Sorry, i'm sad, but I love my Star Wars, and when some freaking stupid idiot spurts out crap like that, it really pisses me off. How can anyone compare a "nearly" 30 year old film to the travesty that happened in real life??

Twat...

B

Belsameth

'Innocent', but seen by terrorists as guilty by association.

exactly. there you put down your own argument (I'm pretending to take you serious here)

Al-Queda blew up the twin towers, who where filled with innocent (and here comes it) civilians.

unlike all those victims on the Death Star. who chose to be soldiers, and by chosing to enlish they knew they could be killed in a conflict. besides that, they where piloting a weapon of mass destroction even tho they knew what they where doing. something those people in the WTC didn't do (or where it really long ranged tacktical nukes, disguised as buildings?

T

tieris

The strange thing is, he actually believes what he is saying, how twisted is that??

methinks job should take his medication orally, instead of anally.

O

old.job

Lets get 2 things straight.
1: Even though I have a problem with glossing over mass genocide, it is not a problem purely associated with STARWARS which, although my thread heading would seem to disagree( I only called it that to counter the LOTR thread) I love the movies and wouldn't have them any other way, a poilitically correct STARWARS would be utter shite. Being an old tw@t I went to see the first movie at the pictures in 1977 :)) Bet a lot of people on these boards didn't do that.
2: I'm not a looney fundamentalist Al -queda lover, I'm just using them as an example, we saw the rebels as heroes, followers of Osama see themselves in the same light, and they regard us westerners as the evil empire.

Don't flame me for mixing real life with the movies, what I'm trying to say is that the same simplistic attitudes are used right now to inflame anger on both sides. The movie didn't question for 1 minute the right of the rebels to fight and terrorise the empire, who they saw as their opressors. The planet was blown up to send a message to the rebels that their cause was lost. The same actions were called for right after Sept 11th, "lets nuke Afghanistan" people were shouting.

Remember the age old statement ..'One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist'

T

talen_sun

But what also seem to forget is that the Empire didn't strike allderaan as a counter offencive - they struck first, killing billions of civilians - that make the empire Al-Crapeda, and the Rebels, America.

You also seem to forget that the Death Star was a threat - a weapon of mass destruction. If it was purely a starbase, docking port or whatever, i doubt the rebels would have used it for a target, or if they did, i would have imagined hit and run strikes.

You just cannot compare even the most BASIC of rudimentary examples in real life to the movies, they are 2 entirely separate entities...

I understand your point, but you gave a VERY bad example indeed.

Try again, but use a good example - especially from real life, there have been plenty of wars started by exrtemeists...

And for reference... I was there, in 77... ok, so I was only 4... but hey.. it was ACE!!!

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Obi Wan...
obi.wan.lg.jpg

=

Osama Bin..?
APG770519-Osama-bin-Laden.jpg

:eek6:!!

M

Murcalumis

OMG! SAME PERSON IF U JST MAKE HIS BEARD WHITE IN FOTO SHOP DEULX!!!! STAR WARS SUXORS OFFFICLY M8!!!1

O

old.Gombur Glodson

If you have to use Paintshop at least put some feeling into it :rolleyes:

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Was done in a hurry...:(

Still looking for a nice pic to photoshop a Darth Bush vs. Osama Wan duel.

O

old.job

Man, I knew I was on to something there.

A picture never lies

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

But... but isn't Luke Skywalker Darth Vader's son?
Where is the analogy here?

One of the Bush daughters working for Al Queda?
Drink'n'Drive for the Jihad?

L

-Lonewolf-

I am frankly startled that you can associate something of immense pain and suffering with a film which has entertained countless generations

Amazing what people will associate with the Star Wars philosophy

But I suppose if you throw enough shit at it its bound to stick eventually

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by -Lonewolf-
I am frankly startled that you can associate something of immense pain and suffering with a film which has entertained countless generations

Amazing what people will associate with the Star Wars philosophy

But I suppose if you throw enough shit at it its bound to stick eventually

I am startled that Lonewoofy would even consider taking all of this seriously.;)

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Dont be so harsh on the poor wolfie, he hasnt been around the OT as long as the other mods.

L

-Lonewolf-

Still quite a controversial topic to discuss but I am no censor and ur right I am a virgin to the off-topic world

EDUCATE ME!!!

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by -Lonewolf-
Still quite a controversial topic to discuss but I am no censor and ur right I am a virgin to the off-topic world

EDUCATE ME!!!

:twak: for saying "ur", Woofy... bad Modivator!!
Consider this an Ekskalibur safe zone.
;)

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)

Consider this an Ekskalibur safe zone.
;)

ROFL!

I'd saw we're far worse then the Excalibur crowd. we just do it under the pretence of mockery :p

O

old.Gombur Glodson

ack excalbre players shouldnt be mods :(

O

old.Tohtori

You got something against Exca players Gombur? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom