Bahumat

FH is my second home
I think this is Tohtori...

wcbstv.com - 1 Man + 5 Jobs = Angry Long Island Taxpayers

Bet he fiddled the kids too

1 Man + 5 Jobs = Angry Long Island Taxpayers
Attorney Listed As Full-Time Employee In Many School Districts
Reporting
Jennifer McLogan NORTHPORT, N.Y. (CBS) ― On Long Island on Friday there were calls for change in a system that's allowed one man to be considered a full-time employee of five different school districts.

As CBS 2 HD has learned, the arrangement has earned the man a nice pension, as well as health benefits for life.

On the streets of Northport Friday, taxpayers were in a foul mood. They'd just read Newsday's report of a local lawyer, Lawrence Reich, who is getting a public pension of almost $62,000 and health benefits for life because five Long Island school districts reported to the state that Reich worked full-time.

The districts are:

* Baldwin

* Bellmore-Merrick

* Copiague

* Harborfields

* And until 2001, East Meadow.

"They should be denying this man his pensions," Northport taxpayer Thomas Mactutus said. "It's illegal and immoral – five payrolls, that's outrageous."

And Reich was an attorney in a private law firm that was paid more than $2.5 million by the school districts.

Nassau County Comptroller Howard Weitzman says it may not be illegal, but he wants reform.

"Clearly, it doesn't pass the smell test. It stinks," Weitzman said. "The reason they're doing that is to get on the benefit gravy train."

Reich's wife said her husband never tried to manipulate the system, and that his arrangement with school districts was commonplace among Long Island attorneys.

Regardless, taxpayers CBS 2 HD spoke to seemed jaded.

"I want a job like that," one man said.

The State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli sent CBS 2 HD a statement from Albany:

"We have decided to take a closer look at this issue to make sure that only those individuals who are entitled to receive a state pension get a state pension."

Under IRS rules, a person cannot be paid both as an independent contractor and employee for the same job.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Wonk is already at the top of my list, plenty of other names too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom