1.62 Patch sound bugged?!

C

chimaira

Noticed that with every player around ive talked to there is a bug in the sound.

example: U dont hear when the mob hits u. or when u hit the mob.
only block/swords swing etc is there.

seems to be a bug to all. any info what so ever on this one?

regards

[Edit] Read Daoc-Europe news oO

O

old.Morchaoron

True, mythic are total screwups, they dont seem to test anything...

B

bone_idle

It makes the game quite hard to play i think. Didnt realise i relied on the sound so much.

S

skar_ironfist

You need to remember that Goa roll the Mythic updates into the their code base (its easy on Unix). So they have to look at the mythic code and it compare to their (Goa) version of the code. Modify the goa version of the code, to take into account the Mythic changes and what ever changes that Goa have in the game to provided language support. Since that may or maynot be built into DAOC from the start.

Its actually a very long & tedious job applying updates. Since Goa are not the people who actually programmed the original change. That was someone in the US. You are also dependant on how well Mythic comment there code, to make it easy to recognise programme changes.

So bugs in patch updates will happen, since GOA will not always understand every programming nuance of a particular change, and therefore any repercusions ie the critical hit.

Also its amazing how much quicker 25000 people will spot a problem, than a couple of hundred on the test server.

Then again GOA may well be very poor at applying updates !

C

chimaira

Well even one person should be able to notice the sound is bugged.

and especially 100 people would notice it.

thats the least u can ecspect for something u pay a good hand of money for... a sound that works.

J

Jenkz

Originally posted by skar_ironfist
You need to remember that Goa roll the Mythic updates into the their code base (its easy on Unix). So they have to look at the mythic code and it compare to their (Goa) version of the code. Modify the goa version of the code, to take into account the Mythic changes and what ever changes that Goa have in the game to provided language support. Since that may or maynot be built into DAOC from the start.

Its actually a very long & tedious job applying updates. Since Goa are not the people who actually programmed the original change. That was someone in the US. You are also dependant on how well Mythic comment there code, to make it easy to recognise programme changes.

So bugs in patch updates will happen, since GOA will not always understand every programming nuance of a particular change, and therefore any repercusions ie the critical hit.

Also its amazing how much quicker 25000 people will spot a problem, than a couple of hundred on the test server.

Then again GOA may well be very poor at applying updates !

Mythic do all this, and provide GOA with the "goa version" binaries, to my knowledge, and so GOA have stated before. Afaik, and prove me wrong, but GOA have absolutely no access to the server source (why you think it takes so long to fix such issues?) they were also refused access to the source at first to the 1.62 XML generation code, when they requested it.

access to a products source code such as daoc, and merely being a host, translator and provider of customer support are very very different, i seriously doubt GOA's licence includes any major source code, they are a host, not a developer

GOA have stated, their language changes are just a case of editing language "files", what mythic refer to as "Read Files" (data in databases relating to ingame data, such as loot tables - etc)

the current bugs regarding things like crit strike moves not penetrating bladeturn are NOT GOA's "dodgy patching of the mythic codebase", but a fault at the mythic end NOT PICKED UP by GOA testing (unless, yet again, GOA were given a new binary on or just before patch day that went live WITHOUT testing)

the sound bug sounds like someone forgot to include the sound directory in the client release Oo

B

bone_idle

So in theory. When Mythic fix the sound and the PA/BT problem. Would we have to wait another 3 months before GOA implement it or would it be straight away?

J

Jenkz

lots of euro-specific bugs are fixed quickly by mythic and that fix passed onto GOA, like the old bolt-AF bug a few patches back, etc.

C

Cush

Hmm.. when I think of it I dont hear anything in game..

wait... thats just me having all sounds off from silly zergy TG raids

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom