1.27g

T

throdgrain

anyone know why i cant run timedemo 1 on this version?

T

throdgrain

forget it just found out! bloody slow compared to 1.17 tho innit? might go back to 1.17 actually.....what do u lot think?

O

old.venturer01

no sure is 1.27g safe are you happy using it, have noted that bw q3 ctf servers are runnin it, is it to stop ppl cheating, in 1 or 2 game over the last week or so i thought i was playing qw with runes !

O

old.Requ!em

While it is a little bit slower overall there are a few changes to Quake3 1.27g that make it appear much slower than 1.17 at first.
  • Texture compression is turned off by default, in 1.17 in was on by default. The fact that the cvar that controls texture compression has been renamed also means that configs will need to be altered to renable it.
  • Lightmaps are no longer compressed when using texture compression, this stops the strange colour problems in some textures but also increases texture memory load.
  • Shader parsing has been changed, sometimes faster, sometimes slower.
  • Sound code has been updated and is a little slower, it also has it's own memory setting in 1.27g. New sound effect enabled by default called doppler.
  • New memory allocation cvars in addition to com_hunkmegs called com_soundmegs and com_zonemegs. These should be set higher then defaults if you have more than 64 megabytes of ram.
With a little bit of tweaking you can regain most of your lost FPS - The UC Team Arena & Quake3 guide's Framerate and Visual Tweaks section has downloadable Quake3 1.27g|TeamArena tweak config files and explanations of new and old cvars. You'll also find much more intensive benchmark demos ( like crusher / massive1 in Quake2 ) for Quake3 1.17, Quake3 1.27g and Team Arena in the same section. The Connection Tweaks section has been updated for Quake3 1.27g and Team Arena.

UC Team Arena & Quake3 Guide - http://ucguides.savageuniverse.com/Quake3/AquaQuake3Guide.html

[Edited by Requ!em on 07-01-01 at 02:25]

O

old.NightStrike

err u can run timedemo 1

its the exact same command just its demo127 instead of demo001

T

throdgrain

tbh i've already gone back to 1.17.mostly cos there seems to be more servers using it atm.however on the link i couldnt see how to turn texture compression back on .could someone tell me? then when more servers use 1.27g i'll be ready!

O

old.Requ!em

throdgrain, it's in the Framerate and Visual Tweaks section of the guide.

r_ext_compressed_textures // 1.27g
r_ext_compress_textures // 1.17

O

old.MrFragem

Patch 1.27g is b0rked for many people. It's caused no end of problems in our clan and surfing the net for solutions shows that a huge amount of people have been affected by it, even after "clean" reinstallations to remove any custom map and skin pacs. ID shouldn't have released it until it was more thoroughly tested. I've reverted to 1.17 for now.

O

old.venturer01

tell me how to go back 2 1.17 please i will try 1.27g for this week but the extra sounds get on my tits, in fact i think the extra sounds stall the game for a milli sec or so on my machine.

O

old.NightStrike

hehe doug it works for everyone but u the others just don't like it

O

old.MrFragem

Lol Nighty then you don't remember most of the team being unable to join a match the other day? :) You also haven't seen the discussions in IRC either? ;) If you had looked around the Web as I have, then you would have seen the reports about the large number of problems and bugs that have been reported. Dunno why you want to post such comments. :)

As it happens, I've managed to solve my problem with it by removing everything from my system tray and putting them back one by one. The problem was my firewall (ZoneAlarm) which was configured correcly to let Q3 through but stil crashed Q3. It's an odd one because other people have v1.27g working ok with ZoneAlarm. I've even downloaded the latest version without success, so I'm going to have to suspend it each time I play Q3. Not a big problem for me to have to do. :)

It also happens that the rest of the team have solved their various problems too, but that doesn't remove the fact that 1.27g has caused a lot of unnecessary problems for a lot of people and shouldn't have been released in this state.

T

throdgrain

thanks req

thanks m8 u really DO know everything don't you??!!!!!

O

old.Quorthon

TA Requiem for the hints.

I fired up the new version for the first time last night before reading this and got quite a shock. My framerate had dropped dramatically, and the whole thing "felt" completely different. I cant wait to get off work tonite to try and see if your hints help to improve things. One thing I dont see mentioned though is the movement.

For me the movement in this version feels completely different. Initially I was all over the place, but turned off mouse accel in windows and this helped somewhat. It still feels different though somehow - more responsive (in a bad way) for a lower sensitivity value. Is there any way of getting this back the way it was before?

Also, is there any way of bringing back the chat sound? I actually liked having it there - now its easy to miss when someone says something.

Any ideas?

Q

O

old.Requ!em

thodgrain, thanks for the compliment but I certainly don't know everything =) I contribute whatever I can to the gaming community, be that in forum posts or via the UpsetChaps clan gaming guides ( Connection and Quake3) and am only too happy to help.

Quorthon, I haven't noticed the chat sound not being played, I'll take a listen later =) As for the mouse sensitivity, there are a number of reasons for the change.

Quake3 1.1x didn't initialise DirectInput correctly and some driver sets fell back to Win32 support while others with workarounds didn't. Quake3 1.27 initialises DirectInput correctly. Windows settings for mouse are now taken into account so if you're using acceleration in Windows then it's 'added' to the acceleration in Quake3.

The latest 1.27h BETA release is reported to change the way mouse input is calculated/sampled.

[Edited by Requ!em on 09-01-01 at 15:41]

O

old.Alex^

personaly i think this patch (1.27g) is the biggest pile of wank ID have done, when i finaly got it to work it wouldnt let me play RA3 and the mouse speed was fucked up, i managed to go back to 1.17, but most RA3 sevrers dont use it, but i might be wrong and might need to update RA3 dunno tho

:(

O

old.Quorthon

Venturer,

I am getting major stuttering all over the place with sound, including also when I die, there is this DJ record-scratched-effect.

Also, notice I seem to be suffering major packet loss with this new version, Im not sure if its a temp blip with the BW servers or not, but its certainly a pain in the the arse.

Q

T

throdgrain

OK excuse the delay but i've finally taken the plunge and reinstalled 1.27g.
on the 1.27 demo i now get 80-85 fps whereas before on demo 2 i was getting 110-115.
I've tried r_ext_compressed_textures 1 AND 0 , it doesn't seem to make much difference either way...
btw i have a p3 1000mhz with geforce2 mx 128 pc133 ram.
any ideas? anyone?

O

old.nick481

My Autoexec.cfg won't load up when I play OSP servers. First I had to delete the q3config file in the OSP directory to restore my controls. Every time you change the autoexec file you have to delete the q3config file in the OSP directory for changes to take effect. If you put the autoexec in the OSP directory it just ignores it.

Am I being stupid or is it a f***in shambles.

O

old.venturer01

1.27 is so shit. it should not even have the name of quake , if anybody made a new game like 1.27 nobody would play it. i have fucked with the setting a bit,are we now getting into the old qw config thing ?. i will play 1.17 again as i have been for a week or 2, then return to 1.27 again, but i bet it will still be shit. q3-ctf : please note i am not that good a player but i know when i have played well and that, that rocket i have just fired is on target, but no i missed by a mile , totally pish, u can play like that but i can't. pinging at 40 ms something is not right. it's just a feeling.
now playing at our Lan with a ping of 6ms was not a problem playing 1.17 so it's not a, i can't play with a low ping ok

ok i was well pised of with 1.27 last night

going to buy another 128mb of ram to take me 2 256mb just to see if it helps

[Edited by venturer01 on 26-01-01 at 18:42]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom