Drink 1 & 2 June all pubs open till 1am

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
As a Finn i don't understand. Aren't pubs open until 3-4am in your parts?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
As a Finn i don't understand. Aren't pubs open until 3-4am in your parts?
Nah, that's clubs, pubs are shut to the public by mid-night by law, (I could be wrong there though..) then you either stagger home, or into the clubs. Not totally sure the reasoning behind them being forced to shut at 12 though.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh, well that sucks.

At least 2am on all places around here, i think. Mostly open until 4am every weekend/special holiday eves.

Wish they were open until 6am though, could catch a morning bus straight awya :D

Then again, you guys have it better in regards to booze. Shops here stop selling alcohol at 9pm.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Not totally sure the reasoning behind them being forced to shut at 12 though.

it's so the fellas could get a decent kip before going to work again the next day :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm not sure we have it better.

Hordes of pissed teens and twenties spilling out onto the streets at 11pm / 2am looking for fights, throwing up, or laying in their own filth unconscious from booze...its not a good look

Gwadien

I'm not sure we have it better.

Hordes of pissed teens and twenties spilling out onto the streets at 11pm / 2am looking for fights, throwing up, or laying in their own filth unconscious from booze...its not a good look
Really? In Leicester atleast, the youts usually have predrinks at home before heading out to the clubs, I don't know many teens that go to pubs.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I certainly intend to visit Finland dude. It's the only nordic state I've not been yet!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'd sooner walk through some Spanish thoroughfare at 2:30am then one of our city centres at the same time on a Saturday night.

Gwadien

This sort of reminds me when we had non-school uniform day at school; Okay kids, on Friday, you don't have to wear uniform but you must donate £1, but if you misbehave because of it, we'll never do it again in the future.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

If pubs opened 24hours (like they can) people would just go home when they're tired. It's the fact they all get kicked out at the same time that's the problem there...

Edit: And either way - I think the "problem" is overstated tbfh.

Everz

FH is my second home
Pubs don't open that late? Have off, most my haunts round Wolvo are open well into the wee hours.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Same here.

From 1 march onwards, all pubs w/o "disco licence" must be closed at 02:00am or face a massive penalty.

BigBrother wants us all fresh for work in the mornings, fellas.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If pubs opened 24hours (like they can) people would just go home when they're tired. It's the fact they all get kicked out at the same time that's the problem there...

Edit: And either way - I think the "problem" is overstated tbfh.

Actually most bars did the maths and worked out that it wasn't worth staying open for longer than about midnight for exactly the reason you pointed out. Also, whilst it can be nice having a local nearby (I really miss where I used to live in Shepherd's Bush because there were two great pubs either end of my street), its not so much fun if they're open to all hours and people are staggering past your door at 3AM on a Tuesday morning; but the pub chains wouldn't give a rat's arse about that if it made them a profit. It doesn't, so pub closing time carries on. No moral issues about binge drinking, purely because of economics.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Costs 2 to 3 x the UK prices to get drunk over there!

During those kind of festival things, people grab their booze, head to the park, get drunk and then go to the bars(whatnot) at 12-1am to do some more drinking :p

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
During those kind of festival things, people grab their booze, head to the park, get drunk and then go to the bars(whatnot) at 12-1am to do some more drinking :p
Which still costs way more to buy than in the UK. Government tax on alcohol there is obscene.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Which still costs way more to buy than in the UK. Government tax on alcohol there is obscene.

Just a regular tax that applies to all consumables. Worth it though, considering the state of our roads etc.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I haven't been for about 7 years but a standard bottle of 18-25 GBP bottle of whiskey was at least twice the price in the shops there. Guys at Finnair always asked us to buy them bottles when we went over for meetings. I was told it was due to government tax.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, but that tax is on everything so FInland is just more expensive in general :D

DaGaffer

Yeah, but that tax is on everything so FInland is just more expensive in general :D

I think you're mixing up VAT with excise duty. Finland, Sweden, Ireland and the UK have traditionally had much higher duty on wine, beer and spirits than the rest of the EU.
booze.jpg

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The local pub has the odd lock in if there are enough local people still in at closing time. People generally don't fall out of the bar before chucking their dinner up over the local gardens though. The police don't really give a shit, a couple drink in there anyway.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think you're mixing up VAT with excise duty. Finland, Sweden, Ireland and the UK have traditionally had much higher duty on wine, beer and spirits than the rest of the EU.
View attachment 8576

Yeah, there is the alcohol tax as well, which hikes up prices. But they're not astronomical really.

And yes i didn't read your post properly and missed the "aolcohol tax" part, taking it as just tax(which ofcourse translates to VAT).

But the alcohol tax isn't really the big difference in UK/Finn prices, more with Finland being voerpriced aw f*ck :p

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Its all realtive. When i came to dk prices seemed obscene, but now i have full time work and get paid so much more than i would at home it seems ok.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Its all realtive. When i came to dk prices seemed obscene, but now i have full time work and get paid so much more than i would at home it seems ok.

That's true, and a a Finn, using 75% of your pay for booze is relatively cheap :D

DaGaffer

The biggest difference between the UK and the other three high alcohol cost countries is promotions. In Sweden you're not allowed to discount booze at all and Systembolaget is the only place to (officially) get hard liquor (anything over 3.5%), in Ireland some discounts are allowed but there are strict rules and the LVA runs a cartel on pub pricing anyway, dunno about Finland but I'm guessing there are probably promotion bans there as well. In the UK its a battle to the death between the supermarkets and the pub chains to see who can lose the most money on booze. Supermarkets make tiny margins on beer but promote the hell out of it because its a footfall driver. I know they're trying to stop it in Scotland, but that's the main reason why the UK is so cheap even though it has similar tax and duty levels to Scandinavian countries. Thanks to the weak Pound I pay 30-50% less on beer and wine when I drive up to Northern Ireland, especially now the Irish have whacked VAT up to 23%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom