Silentium T1 Case

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/370/

Got this baby today...

It's wonderful the case itself is almost silent, but my damn cpu cooler sounds like a vacuum cleaner :p

Very nice design, and cooling, my cpu (yes, cpu) temperature gone down 15 C, and hard drives (all 3 of them :p) are now ~10 C cooler, really neat.

I give 5/5.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
All they need to do now is make one as beautiful as a WaveMaster and its a winner.

Seriously though, its a damn ugly machine, but if it keeps your hot bits cooler, who cares, especially if like me, you just hide it under a desk anyway.

:)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
A 350W power supply seems a bit too little. Do you think that there could be any problems with newer chips, graphics cards SATA drives etc.?

RB

Clown

Part of the furniture
I'm looking for a black case with some sort of glass panel (or hard clear plastic like the Shuttle ones) on the front. Ideas?

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
Rubber Bullets said:
A 350W power supply seems a bit too little. Do you think that there could be any problems with newer chips, graphics cards SATA drives etc.?

RB
I know it's kinda stupid, but I have a P3 1.4GHz and a GeForce FX5600 so it's not a problem ;)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Can anyone forward me a link to a technical document explaining why a 350w psu isn't enough to run a system.

I've been running a fully loaded system for the past year (upgrading to a 6800 GT in about October) and never once had a problem with a 350w psu. It's been the same story everytime a new gfx card has come out: when I had a geforce 256 DDR, when I bought a GF4 Ti4600, then the 9800 Pro and now the 6800 GT - someone has always said "you'll need to upgrade your PSU". Never had a problem.

Personally, I think it's a big urban myth although I appreciate there may have been some form of truth to it but it's since been blown out of all proportion.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Clown said:
I'm looking for a black case with some sort of glass panel (or hard clear plastic like the Shuttle ones) on the front. Ideas?

Do you mean a glass opening door on the front or am I getting mixed up?

CM Centurian

CM Cavalier

I seem to think that BeanTech do one with an acrylic door, but theyre site appears to be borked atm.....

EDIT. Nope I was wrong about BeanTech :(

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
Can anyone forward me a link to a technical document explaining why a 350w psu isn't enough to run a system.
Hi Big G

Firingsquad's PSU Guide explains a lot of the details behind PSUs. If you bear with all the details and calculations, it can be a useful read.

One of the main problems in this area depends on the quality of the PSU. You can now get 900W+ PSUs, but if they're a shoddy make then they're little substitute for a decent manufacturer's 450W offering, say. Shuttle XPC systems, for example, have a reputation for bundling good power supply units. I have a fairly high-demand system and it all runs smoothly off a 220W PSU (that said, I wouldn't like to add much more without upgrading the PSU).

Kind Regards

Clown

Part of the furniture
.Wilier. said:
Do you mean a glass opening door on the front or am I getting mixed up?

CM Centurian

CM Cavalier

I seem to think that BeanTech do one with an acrylic door, but theyre site appears to be borked atm.....

EDIT. Nope I was wrong about BeanTech :(
Maybe a glass door, or maybe just like a sheet of glass screwed into the front. I don't want the whole front to be see-through, just like a sheet of glass on the front of the case. With holes and stuff.

Just like the Shuttle SN45G, if you've seen something like that. But bigger. And stuff.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
I found this but I doubt its quite right, looks nice though ;)

....and I cant find a UK supplier.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Jonty said:
Hi Big G

Firingsquad's PSU Guide explains a lot of the details behind PSUs. If you bear with all the details and calculations, it can be a useful read.

One of the main problems in this area depends on the quality of the PSU. You can now get 900W+ PSUs, but if they're a shoddy make then they're little substitute for a decent manufacturer's 450W offering, say. Shuttle XPC systems, for example, have a reputation for bundling good power supply units. I have a fairly high-demand system and it all runs smoothly off a 220W PSU (that said, I wouldn't like to add much more without upgrading the PSU).

Kind Regards

Thanks, I'll give that article a good read.

Thing is Jonts, I understand (from a hifi perspective too) about the need for quality of power supplies, couldn't agree more. What i'm dubious about is people having system problems and the staple "you need more power, 350w doesn't cut the mustard" replies are posted, when 350w is clearly fine (me, for example).

Cheers

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
That is a problem, Big G, I agree. I guess some people jump to this conclusion because some PSUs aren't always of the best quality. For example, nVidia's 480W PSU recommendation for the 6800 Ultra was originally set so high only in order to compensate for lower quality PSUs, or ones which didn't provide enough juice along the required rails. As you say, you can run high powered systems on 350W PSUs without trouble, or even less with small form factor systems.

I guess the key is always to look at the PSU and take it on its merits, rather than its xxxW rating, as you rightly say. That FiringSquad article goes into details about the different rails and such, so if people weren't sure they could always do a few sums and then be certain whether or not power was an issue.

Kind Regards

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Big G said:
What i'm dubious about is people having system problems and the staple "you need more power, 350w doesn't cut the mustard" replies are posted, when 350w is clearly fine (me, for example).

Cheers

Hi Big G,

I hope you didn't think that I was guilty of that, it certainly wasn't my intention.

I am still saving so that I can do a new build, and am trying to choose components. My question was based entirely on ignorance of the subject :)

Thanks to Jonty I now know quite a bit more than I did. Though I would probably still go over the top rather than get what should be adequate, this would be because I didn't trust my own calculations tho.

For instance I would probably buy the 460W version of this rather than teh 400W even though the latter would almost certainly be enough. In teh end it'd only be a £10 difference for peace of mind.

RB

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
A 'good' power supply will do the job without worries, but poor generic units might fail and take out your system with it. So it's a good idea to have some leverage, without putting too much load on your PSU.

Clown, I haven't seen any cases with a glass front. Though you could mod a Stacker STC-01. All you'd need is the glass/acrylic panel cut to size. The mesh on the front can be removed(11x 5.25" covers). You could remove 6x covers and stick in a glass panel(leaves room for a CD/DVD, FDD and 3x HDD).

Any case can be silent, depending on the fans. Nexus, Globe and Panaflo are rated highly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom