John Peel Dead?!

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
based on ?????

theres nuttin on bbc and im guessin they would mention it :D

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Used to listen to his show a lot when I first got my car.

:(

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
He used to make me laugh lots on his late night Radio shows, but probably not for the right reasons.

RIP John :(

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Gah!! He played the most god awful music on his show but I did really like him. He was great on Grumpy Old Men.

Cya John :(

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
holy shit!!!!!!!

that wasnt there 5 mins ago :(

damn rip john

was one of the coolest dudes in radio and i luved the stuff he did on telly

good innings mind u at 65 i didnt realise he was that old

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Nowadays 65 is not even remotely a good innings (imo).

Really is a shock though, he seemed like a genuinely good bloke.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
nath said:
Nowadays 65 is not even remotely a good innings (imo).

born n bred and probably will die in glasgow, here if you live past 60 your doing gr8 :(

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Trem said:
Gah!! He played the most god awful music on his show but I did really like him. He was great on Grumpy Old Men.

Cya John :(

He played some great music :eek:

Trem

He always reminded me of when we go on our hols in Wales. No telly in the room so we used to listen to his show every night. It certainly helped us to sleep.

Just wasn't my kind of music Wijlet.

:eek: back at ya.

Will

/bin/su
My strongest memory of John Peel was driving along at night, listening to his show. He put on the worst cheesy house track with vocals. It didn't seem like it would ever end, when John cuts in, says "Too slow, anyone?" and turns it up to 45....pounding gabba house with Smurf vocals. Still shit, but funny shit.

Rest in peace John, you occasional played good tunes, and those ones will be missed.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
RIP John. Like Trem, I really wasn't a fan of the music he played, but he did make me laugh. He'll be missed.

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
I'll remember him from... Life of Grime and Grumpy old Men

RIP

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Top geezer :( Gutted somehow. First Brian Clough, now John Peel, my icons are disappearing :/

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
Top geezer and a real shame to see him go :( I just used to love the way he'd go from some strange Russion folk music to a German techno before swinging by for some mellow hip-hop from some random country I'd never heard of. It wasn't all great but he broadened a lot of people horizons when it came to music and was a decent bloke with it.

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
God you feel old when, this kind of stuff happens as 65 don't seem too old to me :(

Did a lot for promoting new bands in this country and will be missed.

rip.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Bah, terrible shame that he died, but at least he lived a good life. Feel very sorry for his family as they all seemed to geniunely adore each other.

He led a life i envy, got to make a living out of something he genuinely loved and was universally liked and admired, which is something that very few people can say.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Hippest 65 year old that i can think, a real shame.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
This is a genuine shock. John Peel was very important to me. I shall have a drink or two on him tonight. RIP.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
RIP John Peel...

I first started listening to him in the mid-eighties, he was the only mainstream DJ that played hardcore shit...I think he compered a couple of festivals I went to in the late 80's early 90's too (Reading & Glastonbury)...

Ta ta John, and your infamous Sessions too! He's gone to the great record collection in the sky!

:m00:

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Got me through some very dark late nights in my early twenties, always went back to him if I had had a shitty day and the night was dragging on, I'll miss him and his ways terribly.

Saying you didn't like the music he played strikes me as a little strange, you'd be hard pressed to name a genre he didn't cover each and every show.

A real pioneer, and a champion of all types of music. He did have a great life, a great family, and he lived the dream of being able to do what he loved for a living, playing records.

You're right Will, sometimes he even played them at the right speed.

I'm sad tonight :(

Trem

Actually Gumbo I may of been unfair. He did play some gems, I first heard Snow Patrol on his show and I loved that on first listen(then it was played to death).

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
At 11pm tonight Steve Lamaq is dedicating his show to John Peel and will be playing some of John's favourite songs.

I've been trying to listen to radio 1 as much as possible since I heard the news and it's very touching all the stories and messages of condolences flooding it.

One person said something along these lines, "If God is truely a DJ, then he's now unemployed."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom