Antivirus Software

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Did a quick search but couldnt see any threads about this

and here's the killer question: Whats the best antivirus software to get?

what do you guys and girls use?

ta

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I use Norton anti virus and their personal firewall as a package... it costs, it's not the greatest, but it hasn't caused me any issues nor has my machine ever picked up aany virus so far.

However, I think people round these parts will probably tell you that there are packages at least as good that you can get for no cash at all ;)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I use Norton AV and Grisoft AVG, both are good.

Norton is part of the Internet Security package, you get a good firewall, a popup blocker, an advert blocker and parental control.

I got a second (legal) copy of the 2003 version for £10 on eBay.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I use NAI's Mcaffe AV package on windows at home. My job kindly bought a license for me. It seems to work well enough, and I've set it to auto-update itself every week. It scans everything that happens on my doze boxes, at a performance cost (that isn't very noticable in these days of fast drives and faster cpu/ram).

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Grisoft AVG, works and is free, there are regular updates too.
I've been using this for a year or so and (touches wood) not had anything get through.

Just reviewing this before hitting submit button, the wood refered to is my desk not my man meat. Thx.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
I've also been using AVG for about 8 months now, first used it since my Norton license was running out, as soon as I installed it it found a virus Norton had missed for some reason, so it's the only one I've used since then.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the feedback

i used AVG but the trial ran out. was thinking about maybe gettign the full version for 25 quid but do you think the free version will do?

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Panda On Smack said:
Thanks for the feedback

i used AVG but the trial ran out. was thinking about maybe gettign the full version for 25 quid but do you think the free version will do?

I'm confused. there is a free no reminder version, that's what I use.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
AVG Free version here - works and does what it needs to. Especially after catching Virii that Nortons missed.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been using NAV for years now, never ever been infected. Its picked up plenty of incoming viruses, also embedded viruses on certain *ahem* websites.

Its inexpensive, when you consider the damage a virus could do.

Glema

Fledgling Freddie
I recently switched to Avast after having trouble updating virus definitions for AVG:

www.avast.com

It's another free for personal use one like AVG, you register and they send you a key code by email.

It found a few 'suspect' files that AVG seemed to have missed and the automatic updates are much smaller - although I suppose if you have broadband this isn't a huge issue.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Another vote for AVG, bitdefender and AntiVir are both names I know too which provide free solutions. I Wouldn't get anything with all that other crap in, I can't stand bloaty 'security' packages which do everything. A decent browser and a well configured Firewall mean you'll never get that hassle anyway :)

All free too, bonus :)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Norton Corperate for me.

Works well, keeps telling me that pr0n sites are full of nasties though :(

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
AVG Professional here. Works a treat and, touch wood, I've never had an infection.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
.Wilier. said:
Norton Corperate for me.

That must be the Scunny Ned Version.

We use the Corporate version at work. Its genuine.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Kaspersky here. Kills everything and its updated nice and frequent £50 too, really decent.

Cyfr

Banned
While we are at it, I have the pro version of AVG, when I do virus scans the scanning window just closes about 30seconds in...

I have run a virus scan from some website and it reckons im clean..

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
Another vote for Kaspersky. It's not very user friendly but it is monstrously good.

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
McAfee for me. Been using it for 6 years and it has stopped many things. Never been infected or hijacked. Although it is a shame they have switched to this annual fee thingy, but I'll probably keep paying for the peace of mind.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Norton user myself, used to use AVG but then found it couldn't actually clean 99% of viruses, it just tells you they're there.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Still running Norton 2002 here. Very good product, caught many a virus. Automatically scans email on the way into and out of Outlook too, which is very handy.
Subscription is up soon, will probably just renew for Virus definitions for the time being, though version 2004 is supposed to be very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom