Firebird Freddy's House menu.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Here's a little something I knocked up for myself that I figured others could find handy. I got bored of having a messy bookmarks folder for this place so I decided to create a menu;

http://www.televators.com/FH.xpi

Basically it's a menu programmed for Firebird with links to every forum here (with the exception of the DAoC sub forums, it would have added 27 extra lines to the menu and I have no idea how to do folder style subforums). I've included an options dialog so you can switch on or off opening in a new tab for each link.

To install download the above file and then drag onto your firebird install. You'll get a new message pop up asking if you want to install and warning you it's unsigned (I'm not an official FB extension developer so my code can't be signed). Accept and once it's installed restart your browser.

Upon restart you should have a new menu at the end of your normal FB menus.

Screeny of new menu
Screeny of new menu in action

To anyone worried about this stealing your password/cat/house you either have the option of not using it or taking a look through the code, I don't care either way.

I'd appreciate feedback and suggestions from anyone who does choose to install this however.

Edit; This is tested on Firebird 0.7 if you decide to install it on some ancient build and it destroys your house, don't blame me.

Edit 2; Updated to include DAoC, see; https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?p=21762#post21762

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Cheers ... have installed and all appears to functioning as advertised :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
That's really nice Scooba :) Just out of interest (I haven't yet downloaded my copy, so forgive me if this is obvious) is the menu dynamic? i.e. if new forums are added will it adapt? Nothing major, obviously, just curious.

Well done!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I cant seem to get it to open in a new tab, I am also using tab browser extensions, wondered if something was conflicting?

Edit / no matter, I have it working now.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Doh!

downloaded it nd tried to get i working - then realised I dont even have mozilla on thismachine (works laptop)

Need to try it on me other.

Any restriction on OS? i.e. is it XP only ?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
That's really nice Scooba :) Just out of interest (I haven't yet downloaded my copy, so forgive me if this is obvious) is the menu dynamic? i.e. if new forums are added will it adapt? Nothing major, obviously, just curious.

Well done!

No, it's not dynamic as there didn't appear to be anyway of easily retreiving the forum makeup nor the positioning of 'major' forums without either some funky php html or having the forums generating a text file that this could read.

When I've got slightly more time I'll have a go at adding the rest of the DAoC forums and trying to work out a quick way of having it dynamically update.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Lazarus said:
Doh!

downloaded it nd tried to get i working - then realised I dont even have mozilla on thismachine (works laptop)

Need to try it on me other.

Any restriction on OS? i.e. is it XP only ?

There shouldn't be any OS restriction, all calls are made to core Firebird components, and as long as you're using a fairly recent build you shouldn't have any problems.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the info Scooba :) Keep up the good work, it's very cool :D

Kind Regards

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
any option of having the User Control Panel on there? or is there no point really?

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Nice work scooba! looks very posh...who is your avatar btw? and ch3tan yours is amazing but whenever I see it i have to stare for at least 5 minutes before remembering what I was on the page for! :D

leggy

Probably Scottish
Well I must say. Well done Mr. Ben. Excellent little menu :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Don't think I will be downloading the latest version with all the daoc forums on, unobtrusive or not. I feel so much more comfortable without daoc about :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I cant seem to disable the extension, which is needed to upgrade to firefox 0.8.

Easy way to uninstall scoobs? Whcih files to delete?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
There's still no easy way to uninstall extensions (a known problem with FB/FF/whatever) at the moment. The only real way is;

1. Exit Mozilla
2. Change to the chrome dir of your Mozilla profile dir
3. Delete [extension].jar (or the [extension] dir, if it's used unpacked)
4. Remove every line with a reference to [extension] from chrome.rdf and the overlayinfo dir. (usually there are two: one to the content and one to the locale)
5. A few extensions might use additional files; Search through your profile dir for such files and delete them.
6. Restart Mozilla

However, there shouldn't be any significant problems with allowing it to run as it's been working fine with every nightly build so far, or just backing up your bookmarks and deleting your profile, especially if you'll be doing a clean install.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Ta Scooba, from what Panda says it won't matter if I disable it or not, so it will stay :)

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Cool mate. Installed okay and working well.

Is firebird better than vanilla Mozilla?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Can't say as I have only ever used firebird. Its better than IE though.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
SawTooTH said:
Cool mate. Installed okay and working well.

Is firebird better than vanilla Mozilla?
Hi SawTooTH

Firefox does have some distinct advantages over the regular Mozilla suite. Firstly, because of the way it is designed, it ought to run a lot faster on most systems, and doesn't have (for most people) the same delayed start-up time as Mozilla can have. Secondly, the browser is highly extensible, meaning you can add a variety of third-party extensions to enhance the functionality of the browser. There are also several other smaller advatanges which are discussed, non-explicitly, in the Mozilla's Reasons to switch to Firefox article.

It should also be noted that Firefox is a standalone browser, so you needn't be lumbered with a mail client, chat client etc. as you potentially are with Mozilla proper. Also note that, in terms of the rendering engine, Firefox is just the same as Mozilla itself.

In terms of the future, Firefox will eventually replace the current Mozilla browser component as the two projects fuse, so its clear the faith the Mozilla Foundation have in the product. This hybrid will thus become Mozilla Browser, doing away with the need for codenames :)

Kind Regards

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
Hi SawTooTH

Firefox does have some distinct advantages over the regular Mozilla suite. Firstly, because of the way it is designed, it ought to run a lot faster on most systems, and doesn't have (for most people) the same delayed start-up time as Mozilla can have. Secondly, the browser is highly extensible, meaning you can add a variety of third-party extensions to enhance the functionality of the browser. There are also several other smaller advatanges which are discussed, non-explicitly, in the Mozilla's Reasons to switch to Firefox article.

It should also be noted that Firefox is a standalone browser, so you needn't be lumbered with a mail client, chat client etc. as you potentially are with Mozilla proper. Also note that, in terms of the rendering engine, Firefox is just the same as Mozilla itself.
In terms of the future, Firefox will eventually replace the current Mozilla browser component as the two projects fuse, so its clear the faith the Mozilla Foundation have in the product. This hybrid will thus become Mozilla Browser, doing away with the need for codenames :)

Kind Regards

Thanks Jonty. I have both installed but haven't used firebird until now. I do use Mozilla mail instead of outlook as I like the spam filter that works quite well for me so hopefully that will come with the new Mozilla package when it fuses.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
SawTooTH said:
Thanks Jonty. I have both installed but haven't used firebird until now. I do use Mozilla mail instead of outlook as I like the spam filter that works quite well for me so hopefully that will come with the new Mozilla package when it fuses.
No problem, SawTooTH :) As for email, you migt to try out Thunderbird 0.5 if you're ever at a loose end. It's a stand-alone mail client built in a similar manner to Firefox. I'm not 100% sure, but it may turn out to represent the Mozilla Mail part of the Mozilla suite at some future point.

Kind Regards

Macceh^

Fledgling Freddie
This looks like something I could use to my advantage a real time saver especially as it now includes the DAoC sub forums.

Definitly makes it alot easier to navigate, great effort Scooba.

Macceh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom