Wireless?

W

Will

Interesting development, you can keep hoping Wilier.

The three-month trial is due to begin in the spring and local businesses and residents are currently being recruited to take part in the scheme.

The technology involved is a long-range wireless broadband system and is understood to be the first of its kind in the UK. A similar system is up and running in Dallas, Texas.

Using wireless broadcast technology, each mast has a range of up to 25 miles and can deliver speeds of up to 1.5Mbps.

Although pricing has yet to be finalised, those behind the trial expect installation and equipment costs to be no more than £200. Monthly wholesale fees per user is expected to be around £14.50, giving ISPs the chance to offer the service at competitive rates to BT's ADSL service.

Looks worthwhile.

D

danger

Nice.... what's wireless like latency wise? it's not gh3y like satellite is it?

W

Will

No idea. I'm assuming at a 25 mile range it is a bit like satellite.

W

Wilier

yep interesting indeed.
Chances of anyone setting it up near me are slim to none though.

:(

M

.Moriarty.

Originally posted by Will.
No idea. I'm assuming at a 25 mile range it is a bit like satellite.
I have a 32km link using 802.11b active. Ping times are averaging 2.5ms <-> 4ms.

S

Sharma

having 1.5mps seems pretty nice speed considering its wireless and may come into interference.

a friend of mine was talking about this, just hope the ISPs take advantage of this developement and start charging fees above what people can afford, hope this takes off soon, its annoying adjusting the thick cable coming out of my broadband :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom