SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You can tell they're not actually from Stoke because he was so rude about pottery.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
How does a metal heatshield not just transfer heat to the inside?

Orthogonal heat transfer; you make the heat that's arriving at right angles to the shield transfer heat outwards to the edges of the shield and around the lip. It's all in the alloy structure of the metal innit? Easy peasy. Actually historically incredibly, impossibly difficult to manufacture over a surface the size of a heatshield but kind of well understood metallurgy (turbine blades shed heat in a directed way to cool the tips for example); I assume modern modelling techniques make it doable (my knowledge of metallurgy is 30 years out of date).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Orthogonal heat transfer; you make the heat that's arriving at right angles to the shield transfer heat outwards to the edges of the shield and around the lip.
Cool. But where does it go then?

It's got to transfer out to the atmosphere, right? Or does the whole thing turn into a massive hot potato? Google says reentry speed is on average 7km/sec or 17,500 mph. That metal heatshield hitting the atmosphere is going to get hella hot. The space shuttle got to 1500 Celsius.

Surely atmos is too thin at that height to dissipate it - maybe lower down when it's slowed down and there's higher pressure? On the shuttle I understood the material was non-conductive - the stuff heated up really hot, some layers ablated by the sheer force of the air scraping material away - but I'm assuming that the ceramics get hot then rapidly radiate out the energy as black-body/infra-red. Metal isn't going to achieve that in the same way?

Ormorof

FH is my second home

It's got to transfer out to the atmosphere, right? Or does the whole thing turn into a massive hot potato? Google says reentry speed is on average 7km/sec or 17,500 mph. That metal heatshield hitting the atmosphere is going to get hella hot. The space shuttle got to 1500 Celsius.

Surely atmos is too thin at that height to dissipate it - maybe lower down when it's slowed down and there's higher pressure? On the shuttle I understood the material was non-conductive - the stuff heated up really hot, some layers ablated by the sheer force of the air scraping material away - but I'm assuming that the ceramics get hot then rapidly radiate out the energy as black-body/infra-red. Metal isn't going to achieve that in the same way?

Apparently some sort of resin that melts away to take heat with it or ceramics

Ormorof

FH is my second home
If melting temp is high enough that it doesn't get reached maybe they just get hot 😂

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I always understood that it was the atmosphere that heats as the shield passes through it (which in turn heats the shield) so it's about a combination of travelling at a certain speed through the atmosphere and dissipating the heat, behind the object.

DaGaffer

The heat is pushed out to the edge of the shield circumference and then behind the body of the capsule, which is actually extremely cold.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
They also form a shockwave ahead of them which diverts gases beyond the edge of the spacecraft.

How does a metal heatshield not just transfer heat to the inside?

It's probably cooled by pumped fluids. That sounds clever, but the truth is that it just leads to reduced payload capacity.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The heat is pushed out to the edge of the shield circumference and then behind the body of the capsule, which is actually extremely cold.
Yep, but at higher altitudes extremely devoid of material to efficiently transfer heat to.

It's probably cooled by pumped fluids. That sounds clever, but the truth is that it just leads to reduced payload capacity.
This is what I'm thinking tbh.

I mean, NASA would have been using metal over ceramics if that was more advantageous. But maybe the question just needed to be asked again in 2020 with modern materials and engineering?

DaGaffer

Yep, but at higher altitudes extremely devoid of material to efficiently transfer heat to.

This is what I'm thinking tbh.

I mean, NASA would have been using metal over ceramics if that was more advantageous. But maybe the question just needed to be asked again in 2020 with modern materials and engineering?

The original move to ceramics was because of the big complex surface of the space shuttle; they went for tiles so they would only have to replace small areas of the surface after each flight, and ceramics, unlike metal tiles, didn't suffer from expansion problems (which is of course a big deal if you have tiles butting up to each other). In reality they pretty much replaced all the tiles after each shuttle flight anyway, and NASA had created a whole new cottage industry in ceramic heat tiles; but it doesn't follow it's the best tool for the job; they designed that shit fifty years ago.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Not a massive hot potato no - more of a massive Staffordshire Oatcake. Hopefully with cheese and bacon.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Question:

Anyone know of a service on the internet where you can hire someone to photoshop some stuff together cheaply?

Want to mock-up some solar panels against pics of my land from various angles.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Question:

Anyone know of a service on the internet where you can hire someone to photoshop some stuff together cheaply?

Want to mock-up some solar panels against pics of my land from various angles.

Fiverr?

Direct links to the nu-sweat shops.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Not all Tesco own brand products suck
I braved a food shop today (no way am I going to a supermarket on Xmas Eve again)
One of the things I wanted to get (for me) was Lindt dark mint chocolate
They had sold out
So I thought sod it, I'll try the Tesco own brand equivalent
It was almost half price, thicker, and you could actually taste the mint. The dark chocolate tasted exactly the same

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
And why do all those Lindt adverts have someone in a chefs hat carefully spooning out a tiny amount of chocolate ?
The Lindt factories churn out 10,000 bars of chocolate a minute
Does anyone actually think there's just one bloke in a hat spending 4 hours making one chocolate bar ?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Not all Tesco own brand products suck
I braved a food shop today (no way am I going to a supermarket on Xmas Eve again)
One of the things I wanted to get (for me) was Lindt dark mint chocolate
They had sold out
So I thought sod it, I'll try the Tesco own brand equivalent
It was almost half price, thicker, and you could actually taste the mint. The dark chocolate tasted exactly the same
Most own brand stuff is better than branded. Quality-wise in retail we usually rank Finest own brand > normal own brand > branded > value own brand.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Most own brand stuff is better than branded. Quality-wise in retail we usually rank Finest own brand > normal own brand > branded > value own brand.
That go for butchery? And if so, what are the things that separate the quality out?

Not expecting you to actually know, being IT rather than business, but I'm interested :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
No idea about butchery tbh. I know it is a pain in the arse for replenishment algorithms to deal with. You can’t infer primals from the sales of cuts with any reliability.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Chocolate choices in UK supermarkets are shockingly bad. You go to a French supermarket, they have half an aisle of the stuff. Tonnes of it.

The only bad thing is, no European supermarket has salt and vinegar crisps, the mentalists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom