SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, this sounds fucking horrible.
The condition, which affects one in a million people, ultimately leaves sufferers as 'human statues' as it progressively locks the body into rigid positions, leaving sufferers unable to walk or talk.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
My sister bought me a soup maker for my birthday.

My Dad died last week 😭

In his memory I've spent the day in my long johns on the sofa drinking soup and watching the football 😊

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Really very sorry to hear that @Lamp :(

I hope I'm not being glib when I say that I'm pleased that your reaction has been 100% appropriate.

Still. :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
He'd been suffering from bile duct cancer. In the end he passed away peacefullyat home with loved ones holding his hands. The way he wanted.

Spent the last couple of weeks crying, lying next to him, sometimes sleeping by his side, telling him how much I loved him.

Anyone that hasn't opened up to loved ones yet take my word for it. Don't wait till it's too late

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

My Dad died last week 😭

In his memory I've spent the day in my long johns on the sofa drinking soup and watching the football 😊

Ah fuck, I'm very sorry to hear that :( condolences to you and your family.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thanks. He was such a lovely man. Saying how much we loved one another before the end has been such a comfort to me. I miss him terribly but instead of painful loss all I feel is love.

The one thing I wish I'd asked him is who wired up his bathroom spotlights. Lol.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

My Dad died last week 😭

Damn, sorry to hear that fella, all the best and enjoy the soup. If you come up with a cheese/brocolli combo which is a cracker, please share the recipe (my fav soup).

Embattle

FH is my second home
Outside my front door just now. Imagine rough sleeping in that.

View attachment 47334

While undoubtedly cold, about 0 here, isn't that cold figure caused by pointing it at a car. It still boggles the mind people rough sleeping in this sort of weather.

This is our front door from inside:

markup_tc001_1670604990086.jpg.png

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Either @Embattle or @Tom got triple glazing / double glazing - love to see what the difference is between that and doors - given I'm thinking of doing a floor-to-ceiling triple-glazed extension.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Either @Embattle or @Tom got triple glazing / double glazing - love to see what the difference is between that and doors - given I'm thinking of doing a floor-to-ceiling triple-glazed extension.

We have double glazing, so here are a couple of images, the first a small side window:

tc001_1670608827633.jpg

The second the right side of a double window:

tc001_1670608890991.jpg

Finally one pane of a bifold door:

tc001_1670608959336.jpg

Notice the reflection of the radiator and if I had taken the shot straight on to the window you would of seen me :p

The other noticeable thing is that all of them show the lowest temperatures on joins and frames.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wow. That's really quite a staggering drop, especially on the frames isn't it :(

Embattle

FH is my second home
Wow. That's really quite a staggering drop, especially on the frames isn't it :(

Well the frames on the windows are plastic, the area with a low temperature is where the plastic overlaps the window and foam/rubber. The frame on the bifold is metal, I guess that is due to requirements but you thought they would have some sort of insulation in the frame but I'm guessing not.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's a ten degree drop. I mean the glass is bad enough, but ten degrees is staggering.

I don't know how I'd keep the place warm if that's the thermal performance tbh.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It's a ten degree drop. I mean the glass is bad enough, but ten degrees is staggering.

I don't know how I'd keep the place warm if that's the thermal performance tbh.

But isn't that why we have radiators below windows?

Embattle

FH is my second home
@Scouse I also remembered another reason the bottom of the windows are colder, in the bottom of the inner frame are two slots for water etc to run away to the outside window ledge which naturally means cold air can and does come back the other way.

Well I don't know what single pane glass does, but in general the target temp inside the house is 22 at the time I did the readings. The walls are 22+ but then they are highly insulated so are rarely ever lower than that, so the glass is in general 7 lower than the room and walls. As @Gwadien implies radiators are generally stuck under windows, as they are in our house. We also have wooden shutters, although the classic method of using heavy curtains on the inside would help.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I need to treat myself to one of these....

Tom

I am a FH squatter

Funny you should ask, next month I'm having my original single-glazed sash windows restored. Just the top two for now, until I know if the contractor can do a good job, if they can I'll get the bottom done too. Rotten wood removed, double glazing installed, etc. Keeping them as original as possible. So the other day I took an IR camera pic of the house exterior, sometime around lunch.

Now there's no radiator in that bedroom because I took all the plaster off the wall and replaced it with insulated plasterboard. So it's about 14 degrees in that room. I imagine my neighbours will be 18 or thereabouts.

FLIR_20221208_102625_460.jpg

Mine are the two in the middle. The difference is pretty obvious. But what I also noticed is that my wall between the windows is a lot colder than theirs. That could be because that's where the radiator is in their bedrooms (it should be there in mine too). But it might also be an indicator of the difference 40mm of PIR insulation on the wall makes. We'll see once the windows are in, the wall plastered and a new radiator fitted.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Also if I get the bottom sash windows restored with DG, I will at the same time add insulation to that wall. But that requires a bit of planning, because the electricity board is below the window and it's pretty ancient. I want a modern consumer unit in there. And also, I will need to find someone who can recreate the plaster architrave on that wall - there's no way I'm going to be the berk who removes architrave that's been there over 100 years.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

It's to be expected, they're in direct contact with the outside of the wall, which will be freezing cold. They will also bridge any cavity. But what matters is the surface area. The frame is a relatively small amount of surface area compared to the glass, which is much warmer. So I wouldn't worry about it, it's nothing.

Embattle

FH is my second home
@Scouse Below is an image from the web of the drainage holes I spoke about earlier, they are also in the bottom of the bifold door:

step2.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's to be expected, they're in direct contact with the outside of the wall, which will be freezing cold. They will also bridge any cavity. But what matters is the surface area. The frame is a relatively small amount of surface area compared to the glass, which is much warmer. So I wouldn't worry about it, it's nothing.
You'd think we'd be able to make them out of some amazing materials by now though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You'd think we'd be able to make them out of some amazing materials by now though.

Then you need windows with much thicker frames, to accommodate that insulation. And they'll look fugly as fug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom