SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
To me it isn't a taste issue with meat free products, it is a cost issue.
If they price in proper carbon pricing on meat products (which they should do - so we pay the real cost) then that would cease to be the issue.

I read an article over the weekend saying we could provide the entire world's protein from an area smaller than London - so we could literally re-wild all the livestock farming land.

I'd hate to lose real meat. But we should be doing it. We certainly could easily lose 50% of global production and make real meat very much more expensive, and farm it using only organic permaculture silvopasture methods - which protects the soil, remove pesticide and external feed production and massively reduces the carbon emitted (in fact, in the short term converting to a proper silvopasture system (running cattle under trees) could potentially be a carbon reduction method as millions of new trees would have to be planted - and there's no reason they couldn't be fruit / nut / nitrogen fixers and material suppliers (like willow)).

Right now it costs less than the price of a pint to produce a battery chicken but we don't properly cost in food, energy, leakage of sewage into our rivers etc. - if we properly accounted for that (and made farmers collect and dispose of 100% of their waste) then it'd go through the roof. (Not to mention the animal cruelty issues ofc).

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
If they price in proper carbon pricing on meat products (which they should do - so we pay the real cost) then that would cease to be the issue.

I read an article over the weekend saying we could provide the entire world's protein from an area smaller than London - so we could literally re-wild all the livestock farming land.

I'd hate to lose real meat. But we should be doing it. We certainly could easily lose 50% of global production and make real meat very much more expensive, and farm it using only organic permaculture silvopasture methods - which protects the soil, remove pesticide and external feed production and massively reduces the carbon emitted (in fact, in the short term converting to a proper silvopasture system (running cattle under trees) could potentially be a carbon reduction method as millions of new trees would have to be planted - and there's no reason they couldn't be fruit / nut / nitrogen fixers and material suppliers (like willow)).

Right now it costs less than the price of a pint to produce a battery chicken but we don't properly cost in food, energy, leakage of sewage into our rivers etc. - if we properly accounted for that (and made farmers collect and dispose of 100% of their waste) then it'd go through the roof. (Not to mention the animal cruelty issues ofc).

You'd have to a be a particular type of arsehole to propose making food really expensive during a cost of living crisis, then replacing the protein we've survived and thrived on for years with ultra-processed vegetable crap and insects.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
To me it isn't a taste issue with meat free products, it is a cost issue.

They're generally cheaper, it's just if you want the brands that try to imitate meat as close as possible then yeah, it's gonna be more expensive.

I'm not a fan of imitations at all really, even though some of them are pretty accurate, may as well just have proteins that aren't meat, which contrary to resident bexiteer tory boomers, do in fact indeed, and Vegans aren't going to wipe out humanity.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You'd have to a be a particular type of arsehole to propose making food really expensive
I'm not. I'm proposing that we simply reflect the real cost of making food.

during a cost of living crisis
We're always in a cost of living crisis. Certainly since 2008 since when, under Tory leadership, wages have been frozen or fallen in real-terms.

That's no excuse for further inaction.

then replacing the protein we've survived and thrived on for years with ultra-processed vegetable crap and insects.
I don't doubt that real meat is better for us overall. But not if producing it actually fucks us.

I know you don't believe that, so there's no point in arguing that point. But lets pretend that you are wrong and science is right - then exploiting alternative protein sources rational and necessary.

(And it's the first time you've had a problem with ultra-processed food - arguing previously that it was healthy and there was nothing wrong with eating it).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They're generally cheaper, it's just if you want the brands that try to imitate meat as close as possible then yeah, it's gonna be more expensive.

I'm not a fan of imitations at all really, even though some of them are pretty accurate, may as well just have proteins that aren't meat, which contrary to resident bexiteer tory boomers, do in fact indeed, and Vegans aren't going to wipe out humanity.

People don't need all this fake meat shit* to eat less meat, just eat less meat. There is plenty to eat without it, how do people think they managed previously?

Meat, often, is a very modern way of doing things.

*Having said that, some of it isn't actually that bad.

Edit. Now it's getting colder, I have started doing a beef stew in the slow cooker, at least once a week, usually does 2 nights for the pair of us. Very little beef actually goes into it, it's mostly veg. It's also very forgiving in which cut of beef you use, so no need for the super expensive stuff.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
People don't need all this fake meat shit* to eat less meat, just eat less meat. There is plenty to eat without it, how do people think they managed previously?

Meat, often, is a very modern way of doing things.

*Having said that, some of it isn't actually that bad.

Edit. Now it's getting colder, I have started doing a beef stew in the slow cooker, at least once a week, usually does 2 nights for the pair of us. Very little beef actually goes into it, it's mostly veg. It's also very forgiving in which cut of beef you use, so no need for the super expensive stuff.
Agree 100%.

However, it's an argument that requires self-starting change, which is the sort of change that never happens at either the pace or volume that you need.

We need a full "carrot and stick" programme by all of the global governments.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Also, teaching kids how to cook at school would go a long way. Even the basics. People just can't cook any more.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Back to the point made about global pollution and our measly contribution to it. You can't point at another country and say that because they're not doing enough, we shouldn't bother. It's like pointing at your neighbour's garden, full of washing machines and a couch, and refusing on that basis to tidy your own property. It's silly. Do what you think is right and at least you have the moral authority to criticise those you think aren't.

BTW, China's energy mix is slowly moving away from coal and more towards renewables. They're pretty much the world leader in wind power and are steadily increasing the amount of renewables generation. They still emit far too much co2 from coal, but their energy mix is changing.

Also, a lot of our reduction in co2 over the years may well be due to our outsourcing of industry - to places like China.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Christ, some loons on twitter are comparing Corbyn to Kanye West. Haha

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
For those of you still to have babies and have a choice - consider this if you prefer them lifted out the sun roof:

Fascinating!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
And there's me sat trying to do the one that my son mixed up over 6 weeks ago... lol
I can do them in about a minute. My peak average was 30 seconds many years ago but I've forgotten most of the algorithms :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I can do them in about a minute. My peak average was 30 seconds many years ago but I've forgotten most of the algorithms :)

I've only picked one up twice in my life, bloody annoying things lol :p my son loves his though.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Busy day on the BBC live streams with missiles hitting Poland, Artemis finally launched, Trump running for president and inflation going higher what a day to be alive ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Noice :)

View: https://youtu.be/2mx8neGn9KM

It reminds Sunak that energy companies are set to make £170bn in excess profits over the next two years – but that it would cost “just” £55bn to insulate all homes in the UK, which are some of the coldest and draughtiest in western Europe.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My pc did an update, and seems to have been registered on websites as a different pc... logging into twitter, all the stuff it shows me is in foreign... have I been h4kxx0r3d?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Weird shit

Attachments

• Twitter_Turkish.JPG
    Twitter_Turkish.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom