SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Embattle

FH is my second home
It just amuses me that he’s railing about advertisers ditching the platform and can’t accept that it’s his fault. He’s the one getting pissed off. Not me.

I suspect he is heading for legal trouble inside EU, he will say he is keeping the same rules of moderation but by gutting the content and moderation staff he assures they won't be able to do much to stop anything against the law.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Can you play online? If that's the case then technically you're buying a ticket in the UK and we don't pay tax on gambling/lottery winnings.

There are two ways to play online; one is a bet on the lottery numbers, that's how the likes of Lottoland work. I have a sneaking suspicion you would struggle to get your $1.5 billion out of them if you won (they effectively insure themselves against a huge win, but I doubt they have that much cover).

The other way is there are services that effectively buy your ticket for you (when I worked in the industry they physically bought tickets, not sure if that's still the case), so in that case you've still bought a ticket in the US. You also have to be careful because there may be Wire Act implications as well.

Personally I just buy a ticket if I happen to be in the US (it was nearly a billion when I was in NY a few months ago) or if someone I know is going and picks up a ticket for me. I only bother if it's one of these monster jackpots though.

DaGaffer

I suspect he is heading for legal trouble inside EU, he will say he is keeping the same rules of moderation but by gutting the content and moderation staff he assures they won't be able to do much to stop anything against the law.

He's broken Irish and EU law on the redundancy process as well.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
No winner last night. Rollover prize now at $1.9 billion and rising. I play a lottery pool with my mates. Even if it's split 7 ways, that's still enough money to retire on.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No winner last night. Rollover prize now at $1.9 billion and rising. I play a lottery pool with my mates. Even if it's split 7 ways, that's still enough money to retire on.
Split 7 ways that's 243 million each.

Incredibly comfortable retirement plan for nearly everyone: $4m. You could retire 60 people on your 7th in mostly undreamed-of luxury. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
He's broken Irish and EU law on the redundancy process as well.
Does it matter if he's sacked everyone in the states?

And I wonder what the issue is - look what they did to the ferry workers this year. Sacked and replaced with people on £2/hour. "Oh sorry, yes I knew it was illegal, but I've done it - and what are you going to do?"

DaGaffer

Does it matter if he's sacked everyone in the states?

And I wonder what the issue is - look what they did to the ferry workers this year. Sacked and replaced with people on £2/hour. "Oh sorry, yes I knew it was illegal, but I've done it - and what are you going to do?"

If they didn't follow the legal consultation process and they're not bankrupt (which they're not), then they will face some chunky fines and compensation, and there's precedent for it Ireland. In the US employees will have to sue, probably a class action (which they will probably win, eventually), and it's all for the sake of Elon's willy-waving; there's little chance there's been much thought about who got fired, so it won't make Twitter a better-run company, just a slightly cheaper one for a short while.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Rumors on the internet is that devs were ranked according to number of lines of code written in last six months

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Rumors on the internet is that devs were ranked according to number of lines of code written in last six months
I saw that and refuse to believe it just because it'd be so fucking dumb.

On the other hand...

Clown show.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Back in the day when I went to job interviews for programming roles I was often asked how many lines of code I would write in a day - it was an idiotic metric even back then. The best code is as few as lines and cpu-cycles as possible to accomplish a task.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
This is just news because Elon…… when in the real world this happens a lot

Tom

I am a FH squatter
People the police think may protest? Arrest them! Water companies spilling turds into rivers and seas daily? Nothing we can do mate.

In Greater Manchester there was a plan to charge the most polluting vehicles to enter the region each day. And it's been kicked into the long grass because apparently, we have to care about people in shit old vans.

Our leaders are feeble.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This is interesting:

They're using the Hilton Garden Inn in a small village called Dolgarrog in Snowdonia (about 15 minutes drive from me). It's home to "Surf Snowdonia" - and the business there is dependent on holidaymakers (and therefore potentially hotel guests).

It's a really weird choice - sounds like Hilton are just saying "yeah, we can fill our hotel, don't give a fuck about local considerations - give us the cash".

Not that I'm arsed, but it's got to be Hilton not making enough money on their hotel there, and the government paying readies. It's a really strange choice.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
This is interesting:

They're using the Hilton Garden Inn in a small village called Dolgarrog in Snowdonia (about 15 minutes drive from me). It's home to "Surf Snowdonia" - and the business there is dependent on holidaymakers (and therefore potentially hotel guests).

It's a really weird choice - sounds like Hilton are just saying "yeah, we can fill our hotel, don't give a fuck about local considerations - give us the cash".

Not that I'm arsed, but it's got to be Hilton not making enough money on their hotel there, and the government paying readies. It's a really strange choice.

NIMBY.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh I'm OK. Not in the least bit arsed. I'm going to ride down at the weekend and have a nosey. :)

Dolgarrog has about 40 houses though. So I guess the impact on them would be quite high if we're not holding people in the hotel all the time?

Have a ping around there and look about. Hotel is on the right, near the surf lake.

Gwadien

Oh I'm OK. Not in the least bit arsed. I'm going to ride down at the weekend and have a nosey. :)

Dolgarrog has about 40 houses though. So I guess the impact on them would be quite high if we're not holding people in the hotel all the time?

Just about as much impact as a the hotel being filled up normally?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not really. There's not a lot in that village - I hesitate to even call it a "village". I'm wondering if it will have an outsized impact on Surf Snowdonia, and the one cafe/shop on site - as "hotel guests" won't be learning to surf, using the climbing wall or shopping that much, will they?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They had homeless people in the village pub during the pandemic. People complained.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, Hilton's a major employer in the area. Do the "hotel staff" all get laid off? That would have an outside impact on a rural location.

If it was Llandudno, I don't think I'd blink. But jobs, income etc, in a very low-income area might be at risk. It's just a possbility. Outsize impact is what I'm thinking. Hopefully the Home Office pays staff wages so Hilton doesn't have to lay them off.

Gwadien

So, Hilton's a major employer in the area. Do the "hotel staff" all get laid off? That would have an outside impact on a rural location.

If it was Llandudno, I don't think I'd blink. But jobs, income etc, in a very low-income area might be at risk. It's just a possbility. Outsize impact is what I'm thinking. Hopefully the Home Office pays staff wages so Hilton doesn't have to lay them off.

I don't believe so? I don't think they'll just give the keys over and leave?

Honestly though - especially for young people/families, I'm all for giving them a nice location whilst they wait, it's much better than putting them in a city where they're more likely to be trafficked into crime or something. As for young kids, it's the nice thing to do rather than being stuck in a camp or a high rise hotel, no matter their parents reasons for coming, they've had a harrowing ordeal.

We could probably afford it too with the amount of money that we spend, but standard waste/corruption.

Embattle

FH is my second home

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This happened about a week ago in North Devon:

Yeah, but there's 17,000 people in Ilfracombe. There's 400 in Dolgarrog.

If they fill all the rooms in the Hilton in Dolgarrog then they'll add more than 50% to the population of the town!

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Trouble is, people move to North Wales to get away from Foreigners (The Welsh and their silly little language don't count, of course), which is why theyre upset.

Gwadien

Trouble is, people move to North Wales to get away from Foreigners (The Welsh and their silly little language don't count, of course), which is why theyre upset.

Fuck them.

Fuck anyone that thinks our hostile environment is a good idea. It's done wonders to deter the boats so far!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nobody moves to Dolgarrog. Unless they've failed at life.

But I get your thinly-veiled pop - having lived quite happily for 28 years in Bradford and Nottingham I you can't accuse me of wanting to dodge foreigners.

I know you're the whiniest of little bitches with a beef with me that blinds you to topics in favour of having a pop - but I'm genuinely interested in the impact of dropping 250 Albanians on a town of 400 working class Welsh.

Edit: @Gwadien - we agree on our immigration policy. But if you could set the anger in your post above aside and comment on the facts I mentioned - 250 immigrants onto a village of 400 with no services? No problem?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yeah, but there's 17,000 people in Ilfracombe. There's 400 in Dolgarrog.

If they fill all the rooms in the Hilton in Dolgarrog then they'll add more than 50% to the population of the town!

It is the way they did it that has annoyed people and the already complete lack of resources, which are stretched during the holiday season and often get some respite during the winter months.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It is the way they did it that has annoyed people and the already complete lack of resources, which are stretched during the holiday season and often get some respite during the winter months.
Absolutely I get it.

You talk about resources - a town of 17,000 people has multiple doctors, health services, a police force - and adding 250 residents is a 1.4% increase in population. Adding 250 to Dolgarogg is a 63% increase in population.

A town like Dolgarrog doesn't have a doctor - the nearest doctors is in the "big" town of Llanrwst about ten minute's drive away - population 3,300.

Like I said - I'm not arsed. I don't live there and it won't affect me. But absolutely the people there have a right to have their opinion listened to without getting accused of being NIBMY racists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom