Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Trade deals coming on fast..I mean really, what is all this bolocks about years, maybe the EU sticks its nose in and works that slow, do you really think big corporations are going to sit waiting for red tape, the very idea that the EU would make trade talks difficult is a farce...so some company is trying to trade feely with the UK and the EU is going to make it difficult?
How does fuck off EU sound, they would be digging under their own grave.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Trade deals coming on fast..I mean really, what is all this bolocks about years, maybe the EU sticks its nose in and works that slow, do you really think big corporations are going to sit waiting for red tape, the very idea that the EU would make trade talks difficult is a farce...so some company is trying to trade feely with the UK and the EU is going to make it difficult?

Anything signed? No? Thought not.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nothing can be signed yet, even if it was ready (which it wouldn't be)

We have 2 years+ to negotiate though.

DaGaffer

Nothing can be signed yet, even if it was ready (which it wouldn't be)

We have 2 years+ to negotiate though.

So they're not deals then are they? They're precursors to discussions at best, but of course that's not as interesting a soundbite.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not sure anyone said they were..? They are coming along, which is pretty ambiguous, does not mean done.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The EU ones are difficult due to all the different countries involved under the EU banner.

DaGaffer

Not sure anyone said they were..? They are coming along, which is pretty ambiguous, does not mean done.

Trade deals coming on fast..

"Deals" means "deals", not discussions. No-one ever denied that people wouldn't want to have deals with the UK, but so what? Doesn't relate to actually doing them, and doesn't relate to the kind of deals that will get done, given the UK's relatively weaker bargaining position.

Job

you are slicing up pedantics here in your never ending urge to see it all turn to shit, we have money and goods...they have money and goods...and we have a great bargaining position, you don't have to make your goods suitable for an entire Europes worth of laws.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Strawman arguments, par for the course

DaGaffer

you are slicing up pedantics here in your never ending urge to see it all turn to shit, we have money and goods...they have money and goods...and we have a great bargaining position, you don't have to make your goods suitable for an entire Europes worth of laws.

Its not pedantics you giant fuckwit; trade deals take years to negotiate, even deals that don't involve the EU, but the press are going around acting like these deals are done already and this shit is easy.

Oh, and if you "don't have to make your goods suitable for an entire Europes worth of laws", that implies that UK laws are going to be materially different from the EU; which is possible, but that means you have to write those new rules; otherwise they'll be exactly the same as the EU rules anyway (since they're the rules the UK already has). Its pretty fucking unlikely that as well as negotiating Brexit, doing all these wonderful new trade deals (with trade teams the UK will have to grow from scratch) that there's going to be wholesale changes to a massive raft of UK product and customer legislation. That shit is a long way down the road for most categories, especially as a lot of it would require a new electoral mandate.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Its not pedantics you giant fuckwit; trade deals take years to negotiate, even deals that don't involve the EU, but the press are going around acting like these deals are done already and this shit is easy.

Oh, and if you "don't have to make your goods suitable for an entire Europes worth of laws", that implies that UK laws are going to be materially different from the EU; which is possible, but that means you have to write those new rules; otherwise they'll be exactly the same as the EU rules anyway (since they're the rules the UK already has). Its pretty fucking unlikely that as well as negotiating Brexit, doing all these wonderful new trade deals (with trade teams the UK will have to grow from scratch) that there's going to be wholesale changes to a massive raft of UK product and customer legislation. That shit is a long way down the road for most categories, especially as a lot of it would require a new electoral mandate.

Think you forget in the era of not listening to experts everyone has become an expert, so if you could remove your informed views, thanks.

Job

I could see you lot in the boardroom, right people, we've gotta work this problem, identify our strengths and weaknesess.
'That's it! Game over, man! Game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I could see you lot in the boardroom, right people, we've gotta work this problem, identify our strengths and weaknesess.
'That's it! Game over, man! Game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?

I hear DaGaffer is best mates with everyone who voted remain.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Actually, they're not some fucking awful film cliche, they're intelligent people who deal in statistics, margins, legal ramifications, cost analysis and prediction.

And you know what - their job has become a lot harder. So costs are going to go up as they try to plot their way through a minefield, so margins may be down (cut staff), profits may be down (cut staff), uncertainty is up (contract in guru's - cut staff to pay for it).

Getting the picture? It's what most businesses and people in the boardroom are saying they're going to have to do.

Job

These are opportunities not problems, anyone who thinks glass half empty shouldn't be there.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Show me 1 example of a trade deal 'coming on fast' please....

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Again. Fucking film cliche.

Hate to say it, but he's right, certainly judging by the execs I've been speaking to. Lots of optimism, realisation there may be a couple of bumps in the road, but still far more optimism in the UK than across the rest of Europe.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Out of interest - what sort of companies?

Oh come now Scouse, I can't believe that Deloitte's 'survey of chief financial officers of Britain's 350 biggest companies' can possibly hold a candle to Bodhi's extensive research... they're bloody 'experts' after all!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Out of interest - what sort of companies?

Manufacturing companies, none of the UK based ones I've spoken to have put anything on the back burner as a result of the vote.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Perhaps their "back burner" is a bit faulty so no point in looking forward.

Live for the now! The future takes care of itself!
:cautious:

The only opportunities available are for those that don't need any more opportunities. They are the ones taking the things they don't need.

Everyone else will be poorer

Job

Unlike the rosy future we had with the EU, if you doomsters sat down and looked over the books of the EU in the same light as you are with brexit, you would have to conclude it is a disaster waiting to happen.
This is the country level version of leaving the nest.

Job

Actually, they're not some fucking awful film cliche, they're intelligent people who deal in statistics, margins, legal ramifications, cost analysis and prediction.

And you know what - their job has become a lot harder. So costs are going to go up as they try to plot their way through a minefield, so margins may be down (cut staff), profits may be down (cut staff), uncertainty is up (contract in guru's - cut staff to pay for it).

Getting the picture? It's what most businesses and people in the boardroom are saying they're going to have to do.
It may be a cliche, but Hudson job was IT and communications..instead of thinking it out, he shouted game over in frustration, because things weren't going his way.
That's EXACTLY what remainers are doing, no helpful input outside of everyone who voted out is a racist cretin.

Job

I'm finding it difficult to predict the path of thought from May's team, including Sturgeon, obviously no go for 50, then she says she can't block it, but will only do it if everyone agrees?
Is it just total fluff for the papers or is there some plan, I'm losing the distinction between, spin, deception and reality.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
How is that lame?

It is exactly what IS have been calling for.

Edit, and again, it has nothing to do with the EU.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Good job all these terrorist attacks happened after the brexit vote, or they might've swayed us into voting leave on a wave of anti immigrant rhetoric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom