Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
You don't need to know how it works if you ignore it.

Job

On a side note , Hungarian prime minister has called a referendum on migrant quotas.
Think thats a done deal there.

Job

Marine Le Penn on Brexit.
PARIS — IF there’s one thing that chafes French pride, it’s seeing the British steal the limelight. But in the face of real courage, even the proudest French person can only tip his hat and bow. The decision that the people of Britain have just made was indeed an act of courage — the courage of a people who embrace their freedom.

Brexit won out, defeating all forecasts. Britain decided to cast off from theEuropean Union and reclaim its independence among the world’s nations. It had been said that the election would hinge solely on economic matters; the British, however, were more insightful in understanding the real issue than commentators like to admit.

British voters understood that behind prognostications about the pound’s exchange rate and behind the debates of financial experts, only one question, at once simple and fundamental, was being asked: Do we want an undemocratic authority ruling our lives, or would we rather regain control over our destiny? Brexit is, above all, a political issue. It’s about the free choice of a people deciding to govern itself. Even when it is touted by all the propaganda in the world, a cage remains a cage, and a cage is unbearable to a human being in love with freedom.

The European Union has become a prison of peoples. Each of the 28 countries that constitute it has slowly lost its democratic prerogatives to commissions and councils with no popular mandate. Every nation in the union has had to apply laws it did not want for itself. Member nations no longer determine their own budgets. They are called upon to open their borders against their will.

Countries in the eurozone face an even less enviable situation. In the name of ideology, different economies are forced to adopt the same currency, even if doing so bleeds them dry. It’s a modern version of the Procrustean bed, and the people no longer have a say.

And what about the European Parliament? It’s democratic in appearance only, because it’s based on a lie: the pretense that there is a homogeneous European people, and that a Polish member of the European Parliament has the legitimacy to make law for the Spanish. We have tried to deny the existence of sovereign nations. It’s only natural that they would not allow being denied.

Brexit wasn’t the European people’s first cry of revolt. In 2005, France and the Netherlands held referendums about the proposed European Union constitution. In both countries, opposition was massive, and other governments decided on the spot to halt the experiment for fear the contagion might spread. A few years later, the European Union constitution was forced on the people of Europe anyway, under the guise of the Lisbon Treaty. In 2008, Ireland, also by way of referendum, refused to apply that treaty. And once again, a popular decision was brushed aside.

When in 2015 Greece decided by referendum to reject Brussels’ austerity plans, the European Union’s antidemocratic response took no one by surprise: To deny the people’s will had become a habit. In a flash of honesty, the president of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, unabashedly declared, “There can be no democratic choice against the European treaties.”

Brexit may not have been the first cry of hope, but it may be the people’s first real victory. The British have presented the union with a dilemma it will have a hard time getting out of. Either it allows Britain to sail away quietly and thus runs the risk of setting a precedent: The political and economic success of a country that left the European Union would be clear evidence of the union’s noxiousness. Or, like a sore loser, the union makes the British pay for their departure by every means possible and thus exposes the tyrannical nature of its power. Common sense points toward the former option. I have a feeling Brussels will choose the latter.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Rumour has it his name is Figel Narage.

13607031_10154303449360148_5092493479691022920_n.jpg

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I shop at Tescos, don't use their reward card though.

Free trade, normal relations...sidestep the EU, everyone realises you don't need a middleman.

What the fuck are you talking about? The EU negotiates as a block. We're leaving the EU because of it (apparently) but the EU will still exist and will still negotiate, as a block. Sidestepping isn't an option. Ignoring the EU and saying "ooh we'll do deals with India and China instead" also isn't an option, well, it is, but ignoring the upper decile part of the planet by wealth is a pretty retarded way to do things when your economy is based on high value goods and services. So we have to do a deal with the EU, and the most likely deal involves free movement of labour. Back to square 1.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
What the fuck are you talking about? The EU negotiates as a block. We're leaving the EU because of it (apparently) but the EU will still exist and will still negotiate, as a block. Sidestepping isn't an option. Ignoring the EU and saying "ooh we'll do deals with India and China instead" also isn't an option, well, it is, but ignoring the upper decile part of the planet by wealth is a pretty retarded way to do things when your economy is based on high value goods and services. So we have to do a deal with the EU, and the most likely deal involves free movement of labour. Back to square 1.

Oh, you actually replied.

I mean, Job comparing the EU to Tesco Rewards is some what amazing, I thought we were all on the wave length to ignore him

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well I think Brexit will be binned, then there will be a general election before Xmas, lots of people will be angry, an equal or greater amount of people will be relieved and a handful of bankers will have made an absolute killing.

Job

No, I mean corporations will start doing deals outside the EU rules, an EU that was even in the room that discussed penalising the UK and thus losing EU companies money would be toast in a week.
They are fucked...plain and simple, trade barriers to the UK...the Germans would revolt...let us carry on while be outside of the restrictions...the rest of the EU would be like...we'll do that as well.
Brexit has exposed the EU huge bare ass.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
No, I mean corporations will start doing deals outside the EU rules, an EU that was even in the room that discussed penalising the UK and thus losing EU companies money would be toast in a week.
They are fucked...plain and simple, trade barriers to the UK...the Germans would revolt...let us carry on while be outside of the restrictions...the rest of the EU would be like...we'll do that as well.
Brexit has exposed the EU huge bare ass.
Bear arse like this?

image.jpeg

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
We'll have to pay the same for access (like the nordics), accept the free movement of people but have no say on the internal EU standards that we have to meet to trade with them...

Oh, and imports are already becoming more expensive as the value of the pound plummets through the floor.
The market instability isnt necessarily a long term thing. And some of the other things that may not be as cheap as before could be off set some what by the money we wont be paying in to the eu kitty in the first place.

You take the current level of the pound now (when we arent out of eu) and share volatility as being the new norm. It has been to short a time to say one way or another where everything will settle down to after the uncertainty has been clarified.

Job

We are not Norway...we are the second biggest economy, the largest military might and responsible for a huge chunk of Europes security through Nato.
Bring back Maggie I say, if she had todays UK to bargain with and an brexit vote, the EU would be kissing her ass.
Wtf has happened to us?

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
We are not Norway...we are the second biggest economy, the largest military might and responsible for a huge chunk of Europes security through Nato.
Bring back Maggie I say, if she had todays UK to bargain with and an brexit vote, the EU would be kissing her ass.
Wtf has happened to us?
No you are not Norway, you have no oil, currently you have low taxes, higher unemployment and a much bigger gap between wealth and poverty... I'll not start on social and educational standards....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And since brexit we've fallen behind France on size of economy - so we're the third biggest in the EU and six or seventh globally.

The EU can't afford to kiss our ass. They *have* to fuck us over.

Job

Temporary, yes they will try to punish us, because that is all they have, but it will turn cracks into chasms and have every EU country who aren't in it for the money to the ballot box.
America has warned them not to, Poland has threatened to derail the EU and Russia would just be sitting there laughing.
These are fucking great days.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
And since brexit we've fallen behind France on size of economy - so we're the third biggest in the EU and six or seventh globally.

The EU can't afford to kiss our ass. They *have* to fuck us over.

Unfortunately, I have to agree - wish I did not have to, though :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom