Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Um - that's Facebook Ads only. From Russian accounts only.

Facebook tried that approach in the senate hearing on the US election and got the hairdryer treatment because they deliberately left out posts and likes by bot or puppet accounts which aren't ads and are pretending not to be Russian. Tip of the iceberg.

Do you check under the stairs before you go to bed at night to see if there are Russians hiding there?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
(wages increasing through work) which is always an option if people want more money.
No it isn't always an option - by the nature of a heirarchical system there's only so many better-paid jobs out there. If you're not the smartest you've been consigned to the worse living standard halt ever and there's nowt you can do about it - and it wasn't your fault in the first place.

The rich are doing very well though aren't they. Which leads me to:

But then I do agree that wage stagnation is an issue, but it's a worldwide issue, and probably not one we are going to fix on a computer games forum...
I get that you don't want people to talk about it (because it exposes inconvenient truths) but this is a discussion forum after all.

Wage stagnation has only affected average joe. The wealth of the already wealthy has jumped ahead at an absolutely astonishing rate since 2008. Light-speed increases.

So the fix is obvious, as is where the money's gone...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well, maybe but that was 3 adverts, seen by however many.

Its also, as usual, one sided. There was bullshit flying from both sides and plenty of meddling from the EU.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Anyway, where are we at atm?

7e2d7b40aac2ff3ac54afc9a7689ff56---stages-of-grief-grief-counseling.jpg

Bargaining?

Bodhi

No it isn't always an option - by the nature of a heirarchical system there's only so many better-paid jobs out there. If you're not the smartest you've been consigned to the worse living standard halt ever and there's nowt you can do about it - and it wasn't your fault in the first place.

The rich are doing very well though aren't they. Which leads me to:

I get that you don't want people to talk about it (because it exposes inconvenient truths) but this is a discussion forum after all.

Wage stagnation has only affected average joe. The wealth of the already wealthy has jumped ahead at an absolutely astonishing rate since 2008. Light-speed increases.

So the fix is obvious, as is where the money's gone...

As mentioned, my understanding of wage stagnation is that it's a global problem, so didn't see it entirely relevant to the topic at hand. Only reason I even addressed it was you stomping your feet demanding to be heard like a petulant 4 year old.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Guessing the usual?

DO AS I SAY NOT WHAT I DO OMG /toys

?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You appear to have caught Raven's particular disease @Bodhi in that you can't discuss without personal insults. But hey ho, it was entirely relevant and if me stamping like a petulant 4 year old drew your eyes, however briefly, to the topic then I'm fine with it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well, maybe but that was 3 adverts, seen by however many.

Its also, as usual, one sided. There was bullshit flying from both sides and plenty of meddling from the EU.
To the best of my knowledge the EU didn't have thousands of fake social media accounts pretending to be Bob from Rochdale extolling the virtues of straight bananas.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
To the best of my knowledge the EU didn't have thousands of fake social media accounts pretending to be Bob from Rochdale extolling the virtues of straight bananas.

Well it kinda did happen, but unlike Russia those in EU weren't operations sanctioned by the governments...

Bodhi

Nope, just Barry from the US saying we'd be at the back of some sort of queue or something.

Bodhi

You appear to have caught Raven's particular disease @Bodhi in that you can't discuss without personal insults. But hey ho, it was entirely relevant and if me stamping like a petulant 4 year old drew your eyes, however briefly, to the topic then I'm fine with it.

That's a personal insult?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Look, can we all agree that a tweet is not a reliable source?

*for anything, actually.

**Especially the tweets of popstars.

ta

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
If you're not the smartest you've been consigned to the worse living standard halt ever and there's nowt you can do about it - and it wasn't your fault in the first place.

I do find that statement somewhat representative of today's thinking and it is 'imo' wholly incorrect. I know a lot of people who did not do well in education that have succeeded in life and in their chosen careers. In general if you're motivated, work hard and have the aptitude to do the work assigned well you will succeed and move up. If you're the type of person that expects everything to be handed to you on plate with no effort needed then yes it likely is a true statement. This is not the industrial age when you went into a factory aged 15 and did the same job for 50 years to be replaced by your first born son.

DISCLAIMER - obviously not the case for people who have disability issues be it body or mind.

I honestly believe that you mostly get rewarded/recignised for the effort you put in to work/life.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Life is 99% luck.
Its like top flight footballers prattling on about commitment and dreams.
99.9% of good players get nowhere, its just a lottery win to be picked for a top team.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I honestly believe that you mostly get rewarded/recignised for the effort you put in to work/life.

This.

As a mature society we need to look after people who cannot look after themselves, or provide for themselves, absolutely but the lazy? gtfo, leave them to it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Being disingenuous there. In a pyramidal structure there are are only limited numbers of better paying jobs and it's highly competitive to get them.

People strive. There are lazy people but the vast majority know that no matter how hard they try there's only so many good jobs and they'll go in the main to the hard working talented or via nepotism.

Your worldview is old fashioned and discredited. It's slowly dying out tho...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Being disingenuous there. In a pyramidal structure there are are only limited numbers of better paying jobs and it's highly competitive to get them.

People strive. There are lazy people but the vast majority know that no matter how hard they try there's only so many good jobs and they'll go in the main to the hard working talented or via nepotism.

Self-Glenned!!

Bodhi

And your worldview is horribly defeatist and disgustingly patronising to those of a lower ability. It is always possible to better yourself and improve your position - second jobs, better paying main jobs, commute somewhere where there is more work, different career, etc etc.

If that worldview is slowly dying out, then we will be in the shit. Prepare for your government assigned position comrade, those tractors won't build themselves.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

Not disingenuous at all. I picked out the specific statement I had issue with not the sentiment of the post. Companies are of course pyramidal constructs, you can't have a company full of managers with no one building, selling... or designing anything. If you don't like the structure of company management in general then leave and start your own business or contract. There are options for people who do not like working for large entities.

Also, to claim that it's all luck or nepotism that gets most people into the top positions is very simplistic and overstating an uncommon practice. Of course it happens. Humans by nature may gravitate promotional decisions based on bias and trust of certain individuals, can't stop that. But, big business simply does not allow it to happen when it's clearly inappropriate. HR departments look at promotions very closely these days. The justifications are vetted and no one manager makes the decision. Managers are not just scored downward, most big companies have policies that look upward as well so terrible managers get found out and are usually dealt with.

My view is old fashioned and discredited, by who? Organisations without structure would be chaos, even new model companies like Google have management structures and HR processes to manage promotions...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I do find that statement somewhat representative of today's thinking and it is 'imo' wholly incorrect. I know a lot of people who did not do well in education that have succeeded in life and in their chosen careers. In general if you're motivated, work hard and have the aptitude to do the work assigned well you will succeed and move up. If you're the type of person that expects everything to be handed to you on plate with no effort needed then yes it likely is a true statement. This is not the industrial age when you went into a factory aged 15 and did the same job for 50 years to be replaced by your first born son.

DISCLAIMER - obviously not the case for people who have disability issues be it body or mind.

Hmm, I’m not convinced. There’s a smaller opportunity to “do well and move up” now than there was even 10-15 years ago. The aggressive delayering of middle management has simply removed the path to meaningful promotion in loads of industries. While I know quite a few “worked their way up from the post room” types, I don’t see others coming up to take their place. Every year that goes by the number of executives in companies who came up from the coal face declines; replaced by people who’s entire working life has been at executive/consultant level since university.

Of course you can show individual stories that run counter to that but the trend is a pyramid of opportunity is being replaced by a spiky bell curve, which is line with what’s happening with wealth distribution in general. Or to look at it another way, we’ve had a brief hundred years where a meaningful middle class came into existence and now we’re reverting to the norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom