Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
People still see themselves as christian without going to church, they may not believe in god, but still associate themselves with the candyfloss notion of christian values, the vast majority are still baptised after birth.

Having your head dunked under water by a priest does not actually mean anything. I was baptised but seeing as it's all a lot of bollocks it doesn't mean I am Christian. The single reason my parents even bothered was "that is what was done" they never attended church apart from christenings and funerals.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The fact is @Job, you're wrong, and unless you provide the evidence that counters that provided then your waffle will continue to be meaningless...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Religion in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

60% Christian according to the latest census. Given that church and state haven't been separated (and don't get me wrong I wish they were) we can say that officially the UK is still Christian.

I actually agree with you that this shouldn't be the case, but sadly at the moment it is, and to argue otherwise is an exercise in claiming black is white (that's a turn of phrase Job before you start ranting about immigrants again).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's inacurate though as most people tend to put that down regardless of whether they actually are.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
60% Christian according to the latest census.
And the information I provided is a more in-depth and up-to-date study of that census data and public attitudes - as clearly and explicitly shown.

Cherry pick outdated and incomplete data to support your incorrect argument if you like though...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I wonder if we we're still fighting political ideologies as opposed to religious wars, the census would change to reflect that.

I mean, the number on thing which Britain First uses to attract members is the idea of Christianity vs Islam, which I'm sure people will pretend to be Christian in order to make their conflict justified in their heads.

Bodhi

And the information I provided is a more in-depth and up-to-date study of that census data and public attitudes - as clearly and explicitly shown.

Cherry pick outdated and incomplete data to support your incorrect argument if you like though...

So the Census is incomplete data now is it? Riiight.

I did read the survey you quoted however. Probably more in depth than yourself, considering it quoted that 60 percent of the respondents still thought the UK was a Christian country. So I'd be careful with accusations of cherry picking Tbh.

We'll also ignore which particular sky fairy is quoted in our national anthem. Asking Richard Dawkins to save the Queen doesn't have the same ring to it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
We'll also ignore which particular sky fairy is quoted in our national anthem. Asking Richard Dawkins to save the Queen doesn't have the same ring to it.

That's a somewhat irrelevant legacy. Most of those surveyed would probably vote to have the national anthem replaced with Snooker Loopy if they got the chance.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I think we'd better let scouse keep his bone.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So the Census is incomplete data now is it?
It's a very poor data source. And has been superceded by the much more comprehensive single-issue analysis provided as a rebuttal to statements made based on it.

But cling away.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
One person has an opinion.

He reads other people's opinions.

He refuses to accept other peoples opinions.

/the internet

Job

I appreciate it isn't really a christian nation in anything but name, hardly anyone believes it and a lot of baptism is done at school age to get them in some posh faith school.
It is still deeply intwined in our parliment and royalty...and tbh, fuck it, you know that, you just want the unspoken reality to be our identity.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
tbh, fuck it, you know that, you just want the unspoken reality to be our identity.
First honest thing you've said and I admire you for saying it.

However, it's not an identitily I want, and it's not an identity most brits give a shit about.

But you guys'll die and the next gen'll look at surprisingly old aged mountain biking me and find my views 'quaint' too... :)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
The only quaint thing is you thinking you will mountain-bike at old age :fluffle:

But wait, you are of old age already. My bad!

Edit: Old.Scouse, it has a nice ring to it. Can join @old.Osy and @Toht.

Edit: Yeah I´ll stop, don't even know your age mate.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Serious question @throdgrain, do you believe in God and Jesus and all that bollocks or does anyone you know believe in God and Jesus and all that bollocks?

I am fairly sure nobdy I speak to regularly, genuinely believes in that shit so cannot be Christian. A fair amount probably ticked the Christian box though.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Serious question @throdgrain, do you believe in God and Jesus and all that bollocks or does anyone you know believe in God and Jesus and all that bollocks?

I am fairly sure nobdy I speak to regularly, genuinely believes in that shit so cannot be Christian. A fair amount probably ticked the Christian box though.
Yep. My Dad would tick the box because he would think its the English thing to do even though he thinks it's all bollocks.

throdgrain

FH is my second home

I am fairly sure nobody I speak to regularly, genuinely believes in that shit so cannot be Christian. A fair amount probably ticked the Christian box though.

No I don't actually. Wish I did though, but that's a different matter.

Anyway, I do know a couple of people, but that's not the point, the point is the country is still Christian country. The Queen is the head of the Church, of ENGLAND , and all the other stuff.

Either way, that's not a reflection of my comment to Scouse, it was actually a comment about this thread, and to just about every thread Scouse has ever posted in, and quite possibly every thread on every forum on every bit of the internet, ever.

Also, as I said earlier, all the smug atheists can feel well good about themselves, me included, but they don't get that Islam, radical, quite radical, and even a bit radical, don't see our lack of belief as a strength, but as a weakness, and something abhorrent.

Bodhi

Evidence > opinion.

Opinionated guy meets evidence = ignore.

/Internet

So polls conducted by special interest groups count as evidence these days do they? No confirmation bias at work there at all, no siree bob.

Sad thing is as well I actually agree with you - interest in religion is dropping off rapidly, and I would be fully behind the UK becoming properly secular like our French cousins, but at the moment we aren't - Church and State are still heavily intertwined, and until that changes (and pray to Hitchens that happens sooner rather than later) the UK will be a Christian country.

I notice religious wedding ceremonies are at an all time low as well, so maybe, just maybe with everyone's disinterest in all things sky fairy then the secularism movement will gain some traction - if it can overcome the legendary British sense of apathy about it all.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you think the humanist society has anything at heart than the stongest evidence available than you're a fool.

I don't gi...bwahhh, I don't give two shits. Exactly who I predicted came and said exactly what I thought they would (Apart from Job!) so I cba with talking with special needs evidence denier types. Life is better than that.

Produce better evidence or...

Edit: up front, have been drinking but when I sober up I reckon I'll feel the same :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Also, as I said earlier, all the smug atheists can feel well good about themselves, me included, but they don't get that Islam, radical, quite radical, and even a bit radical, don't see our lack of belief as a strength, but as a weakness, and something abhorrent.

Well aware that's how they feel (and fundy Christians feel exactly the same way), but...so? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
- if it can overcome the legendary British sense of apathy about it all.

And there's the nub of it, British society is notoriously reluctant to make sweeping changes about anything, so people still classify themselves as CofE even though they only set foot inside a church once every couple of years. Fact is, most people are actually too apathetic to think about what they do believe, so they default to the "norm". It actually takes a bit of effort to think about what it means to be agnostic (and more to think about what it means to be atheist) and most people cba with the whole exercise.

Job

After spouting off to scouse that most people are still christenef, I did the usual and checked it out to find only 15% of british are christened at birth and in birmingham it's only 2%!
Plus only 1 in 6 births are british white there, the white people have fled the shithole...thats intergration for you.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I am off round to my mums house later for a traditional easter dinner.

At no point will God or Jesus be mentioned but I hear she has got a load of wine and gin in. There might also be cake and despite me telling her not to worry about getting me a load of chocolate she has, and my wife will eat it all, possibly in one sitting. Praise the Lord

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Cooking a beef dinner today in honour of Christ's sacrifice which sorted out the 'beef' God had with us. Also sprouts so we can all do big trumps to remind us of Christ's final flatus on the cross and the big ripper he did when he woke up due to the decomposition gases.

Job

Imgoing to mass, the one visit a year to keep the missus happy, still trying to build up the bottle, when the priest goes around flicking holy water...to shout out..'I'm melting!!!!'
I'll do it one day.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've got the traditional easter hangover to remind me how christ felt after the last pissup supper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom