Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Good on the EU. :clap:

Bet they're selling better, safer, more environmentally friendly parts to the EU though.
Seriously..you can buy lead in fucking 20lb rolls from B&Q...Imagine how small the amount is in a pcb and how unbelievably disruptive this has been for industry, thousands of tons of equipment destined for the scrapheap, thousands of tons of new materials needed to replace perfectly good equipment.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Seriously..you can buy lead in fucking 20lb rolls from B&Q...Imagine how small the amount is in a pcb and how unbelievably disruptive this has been for industry, thousands of tons of equipment destined for the scrapheap, thousands of tons of new materials needed to replace perfectly good equipment.
It's a neurotoxin that affects the brain, badly. It accumulates in the liver, kidneys and bones. It's effects are passed on from mother to child. There is no known "safe" level. Minimising its use where possible is a social good of the highest order.

If you've got a problem with that then maybe all the lead you plumbed in before it was banned is the reason you're a bit special today.

Edit:
The World Health Organisation said:
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) has estimated that in 2013 lead exposure accounted for 853 000 deaths due to long-term effects on health, with the highest burden in low and middle income countries. IHME also estimated that lead exposure accounted for 9.3% of the global burden of idiopathic intellectual disability, 4% of the global burden of ischaemic heart disease and 6.6% of the global burden of stroke

:)

Embattle

FH is my second home
I hate to tell you but even out of the EU our standards will still exactly/closely match theirs on lots of products.

Job

Actually hes no idiot ss you can imagine, just got back from the supplier in the States, they are not so interested in the EU market now because the ever changing legislation is so difficult to deal with.
That why India..China..Africa are the way forward, more relaxed rules and they will get cheaper and more innative products, because the companies can plan ahead without second guessing future rules and having to back engineer all the time.
The EU is in every danger in a global economy of legislating itself into a corner.
And anyway...lead just frickin sits there until the equipment is disposed of, are we saying we cant safely recycle lead now?
Oh and if youre over 30, youve been drinking from lead pipes in the ground, in fact many still are

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I hate to tell you but even out of the EU our standards will still exactly/closely match theirs on lots of products.
I bloody well hope so. I'd also like to see us at the very least match their environmental standards (but I think Monsanto and their ilk will have something to say about that).

But yep - we have to match their standards if we want to sell into Europe. A point that @Job has totally missed - his mate's company was going down the pan with our without Brexit.

Job

Actually, I'm waiting for some bright spark lawyer to get plastic waterpipes labelled cancerous....that would just be hilarious.

Job

I bloody well hope so. I'd also like to see us at the very least match their environmental standards (but I think Monsanto and their ilk will have something to say about that).

But yep - we have to match their standards if we want to sell into Europe. A point that @Job has totally missed - his mate's company was going down the pan with our without Brexit.
No..hes moving to India..etc.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
On another note..was talking to my helicopter owning mate, he exports medical equipment to the EU, has done for years, fucking hates them, worst export market imaginable he moans.
Seems as from July his entire business is over in the EU because the equipment has lead in the solder of the control panels, violating recycling and disposal legislation.
The entire network of equipment in hospitals all over Europe can now not be fixed because the EU will not allow him to send over parts that have mandatory service/replacement schedules.
The hospitals are horrified, the doctors have taken the EU to court.
The companies who make the parts aren't interested in rejigging to lead free solder.
Hes now having to buy back the machines and sell them to India..in fact the EU is the only market in the world with such strict recycling rules.

Latest WEEE regulation has been on the cards for the last five years. Not exactly a minute's notice. And it affects the UK too. Sounds like someone fucked up, and it wasn't the EU.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I like how people are obsessed with regulations that will likely remain in place and will likely be mirrored in future anyway. Most are based on sound science and transcend pathetic EU borders.

Also, unlike many of our friends in the EU, we tend to stick to them.

Job

Yes, he sells chemo drug producing equipment that has lead in the solder joints of the pcb that will never harm a single human being in its life unless someone grinds up about a 100 of them...extracts the lead and eats it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Going after the accumulated wealth of the middle classes rather than taxing the rich.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

I'm curious, what on earth has that got to do with the EU?

Seems like a standard Tory idea to me when they are looking at the biggest majority in history. I am not even sure what the point to the story is, you can defer it now, with existing legislation. Nothing to do with the EU. You appear to have got yourself confused again though, it hasn't actually changed anything, whatever you spend your life accruing ends up going back to either the government or private hands. It gets removed from the hands of the plebs.

As for fuel payments, or lack thereof, yup, Tory scum is Tory scum...nothing to do with the EU.

Immigration curbs, populism to make sure they soak up the right wing vote, nothing to do with the EU. It even states (quite clearly) that it is non-EU migrants she is going after.

You seem to fail at understanding "things" ...again.

Last edited:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

On a side note - Why does Andrew Marr look like a chipmunk that's had a stroke? quite an old video btw, but hearing John Major basically say "don't trust the Tories with the NHS" is pretty important.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

On a side note - Why does Andrew Marr look like a chipmunk that's had a stroke? quite an old video btw, but hearing John Major basically say "don't trust the Tories with the NHS" is pretty important.

Probably because he had a stroke.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A serious stroke which pretty much wiped out the left side of his body... He can't move his left arm (it's always resting in his lap) and he never stands up and can't walk unaided.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He does look like a chipmunk though... :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I dunno, I find google translate pretty handy to translate into a proper language, when dealing with peasants who don't speak English.

Job

More importantly..90 percent gun crime, immigrant families.
Trouble is I always read translated Swedish with the muppets chef voice in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom