SPAM random annoying things

rynnor

Rockhound
opticle said:
pretty much guaranteed.

Nothing is guaranteed until you can prove it though - its a terribly unscientific phrase.

People used to think it was pretty much guaranteed that the atom could not be split.

opticle

Part of the furniture
Well I was right ;)

The serious consideration that it was a possibility that our solar system had formed in a galaxy where trillions of other stars had formed, and a universe where trillions of other galaxies had formed, but none of those other stars had formed planets like ours, is in my mind retarded.

It's akin to religion saying we must be the only life in the Universe because the Bible said so.

I know it was a possibility, but I think it was a ridiculous and pretty pessimistic one to consider.

The attitude should always have been - they're out there, we just haven't found them yet.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
alien23.jpg

There are scarier-looking things than that that crawl all over your skin at night. They're in your bed right now. Waiting. Biding their time. When you get in & the lights go out, they pounce!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There are scarier-looking things than that that crawl all over your skin at night. They're in your bed right now. Waiting. Biding their time. When you get in & the lights go out, they pounce!

There's very little alive in my house at the moment. Even the spider under the downstairs shower crawled into the middle of the room and went belly-up - and I didn't even spray in there:
indorex.jpg

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Poor communication. Person A asks Person B to do something at work. Person A is vague, and Person B doesn't have the intelligence to ask for clarification. The result? Imagine a clown walking through a minefield.

"Count up to 20" usually includes 20
"The events leading up to the Second World War" do not include the Second World War

So, asking one of your staff to "Collate the data from April 2012 upto October 2012" should specify "upto and including" or "upto but not including" for the sake of clarity.

o_O

I'll get my coat. :whistle:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Did you spray yourself to make sure you got the exploding poo spiders that live on your face?

You mean the ones I told you about here?

No. But I reckon standing in the invisible cloud of gasses as I did the whole house can't have done me any good :(

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
People who whine on Facebook, mainly women, who say "Fucked off with this, this and this!" then say "I can't say on here I'll text you". Stupid bitches.

As a popular hater of Facebook, I agree.

Remove them as a friend, or unsubscribe from their updates; you'll feel much happier for it.

Edit: also have a friend cull. If you wouldn't talk to them in the street, defriend them.

Last edited:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You mean the ones I told you about here?

No. But I reckon standing in the invisible cloud of gasses as I did the whole house can't have done me any good :(

Well atleast it proves you're not some alien bug trying to enslave people by removing religion ;)

opticle

Part of the furniture

opticle

Part of the furniture
But I have suddenly freed up 50% of my time / checking on the internet. I don't know what to do on it any more so I just sit and stare at Freddyshouse.

Someone recommend some good websites ? :(

rynnor

Rockhound
The attitude should always have been - they're out there, we just haven't found them yet.

I doubt we ever will - it's one thing to think they might exist but without serious amendment to the laws of physics we will never get out to visit other stellar systems.

Edit: Also until you have proof its just a belief like the sky fairy but a bit more likely.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I doubt we ever will - it's one thing to think they might exist but without serious amendment to the laws of physics we will never get out to visit other stellar systems.

Not really, we need to increase our understanding of the laws of physics, we cannot amend what we don't know much about :)

Such as what happens in a blackhole, what is space actually made up of? It is all theory at the moment, theory that changes as we discover more. There are several ideas around regarding bending space, propulsion systems etc, humans have only just got into space, imagine what we will have done in 1000 years? ...if we haven't blown ourselves up ofc!

I think if we do ever try to get to another man to another solar system it will be a several generation job, or some sort of stasis. Though it would be far easier to just send machines.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I think if we do ever try to get to another man to another solar system it will be a several generation job, or some sort of stasis. Though it would be far easier to just send machines.

We'll grow new people on arrival, adapted for the conditions they find. I doubt actual biological people travelling from one star system to another will ever happen unless we suddenly discover stargates or something.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We'll grow androids/cyborgs(whatever you want to call it :p) that have a self learning/replicating programming, send them over while we watch over them from afar, then watch as they "evolve" into a more biological system to mimic humans and we remain the "god" in the sky, then have a crisis on planet earth and suddenly there's no god for them ;)

opticle

Part of the furniture
unless we suddenly discover stargates or something.

When we discover Stargates. When. :X3:

We'll grow androids/cyborgs(whatever you want to call it :p) that have a self learning/replicating programming, send them over while we watch over them from afar, then watch as they "evolve" into a more biological system to mimic humans and we remain the "god" in the sky, then have a crisis on planet earth and suddenly there's no god for them ;)

The issue with this and sending machines into space is that after a certain distance, it'll still take years to communicate with them - the nearest stars and planets are light years away, even if we were able to develop reliable light-speed communications. And it'd take hundreds of years (?thousands) to reach them with our current propulsion systems.

As with propulsion, we need a complete game changer.

rynnor

Rockhound
Not really, we need to increase our understanding of the laws of physics, we cannot amend what we don't know much about :)

Such as what happens in a blackhole, what is space actually made up of? It is all theory at the moment, theory that changes as we discover more.

Well no - actually we know quite a lot like what happens in a black hole (you get squished up but its ok as time nearly stops for you), space is made up of emptiness, cold and a few trace particles on average. We have actually been to space so I'm not sure what the - "its all theory" bit is about :p

We have understood the physics of spaceships travelling since Newton - Einstein added a bit more for near lightspeed stuff but we have no practical way of reaching that.

Unless we discover a way around the laws we know (which is in itself extremely unlikely) then we are pretty much stuck in the solar system - even if you converted all the water on earth to hydrogen and oxygen it wouldnt get you very far in the interstellar distances.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No we don't know what space is made up of, we know what some of it is made up of but not the bits in between.

Who is to say future propulsion would bear any resemblance to something that needs a chemical fuel?

Nobody knows, nobody can predict the future. You can't judge a technology that doesn't exist...for the simple reason that we don't know.

People used to think that there was nothing left to be discovered or invented. They were proved wrong pretty quickly.

opticle

Part of the furniture
We know theoretically what happens in a black hole. Evidence supports some of that. But I'm sure there's far, far more going on there than we can even contemplate right now.

The laws we know are based on incomplete theories which don't agree with one another - which means we are missing something(s) pretty important going on that we have no idea about.

And then there's the fact that we don't know where ?80% of the mass in the universe is hiding (Dark matter/energy/etc.).

Or that we're all made of string ! (which supports his Noodlieness)

I think we know very little about what is really going on.

rynnor

Rockhound
No we don't know what space is made up of, we know what some of it is made up of but not the bits in between.

Who is to say future propulsion would bear any resemblance to something that needs a chemical fuel?

Nobody knows, nobody can predict the future. You can't judge a technology that doesn't exist...for the simple reason that we don't know.

People used to think that there was nothing left to be discovered or invented. They were proved wrong pretty quickly.

But now you have left science behind and headed into religion tbh - the reality is that in the last few hundred years since Newton we have not identified any new methods of propulsion that are not subject to newtonian physical laws. As time passes the likelihood shrinks - going from discovering radioactivity to splitting the atom took less than a century by way of comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom