Desert Combat 0.5

M

Megatron

argh got it from another place and that was corrupt too :/
I give up, ive no idea why it will not download correctly

D

Deadmanwalking

It is down to the very flaky installer DC insist on using. Its not to happy with being chucked around alot it seems.

M

Megatron

any suggestions? Or is it a case of keep wasted 3hrs downloading untill it sorts itself out?
Im begging my clan mate to send it me on cd at the moment though so there's some hope for DC by the weekend \o/

T

throdgrain

Megz ya foo' gimme a shout in irc Ill post it to you :)

M

Megatron

*cuddles throd for sending lots of pleasure on a CD in a jiffy bag*

honest no inuendo meant...

B

Brass Monkeys

Not funny any more ....

This is the 6th/7th time Ive "tried to download the new file for DC.

I got 216 MB (227,049,472 bytes) of it! before it all goes wrong :(

great ... how the hell can i get the new update?

B

Brass Monkeys

finally succeeded .. from blueyonder ftp .. 1st download and all sweet.

A

adams901

Great!.

Dunno what causes the problem, I downloaded fine from the Game FTP 1st time, others have tried multiple sources and had problems.

Guess it could be related to the amount of internet traffic on the route your ISP was taking, could have been dropping data. It cant be the actual installer because it wouldn't work for everyone if it was.

Still at least you have it now :).

B

Brass Monkeys

Originally posted by adams901
Great!.

Dunno what causes the problem, I downloaded fine from the Game FTP 1st time, others have tried multiple sources and had problems.

Guess it could be related to the amount of internet traffic on the route your ISP was taking, could have been dropping data. It cant be the actual installer because it wouldn't work for everyone if it was.

Still at least you have it now :).

I agree with you about the installer, I didnt think it was the installer either, as you say it would be a problem for eveyone else.

I have it now, installed and it rocks. I love the touch with the barrett and it having to find it to use it. Ive taken a few suspects out on that in the back! :)

The special forces weapon is now my favourite.

D

Deadmanwalking

Erm, it could well be the installer no matter how many people get it properly.

If they used a more standard and resiliant installer there would prob be less transfer problems.

A

adams901

If the installer was faulty or corrupt then none of us would have been able to use it.

D

Deadmanwalking

I dont mean the installer on the ftps etc as in its a dodgy one. Im talking about transfering that installer from there to the client.

B

Brass Monkeys

I had the same problems with ActionBF and Forgotten hope as I did with DC, the download would stop before its fully completed.

I had tried the downloads a number of times but same result.

No idea why.

A

adams901

I used to get that on certain FTP sites when downloading demos.

Never did find out what caused the problem, it never used to complete what I was downloading and unless the FTP had resume enabled I would be stuck with a file that was usless. What really annoyed me is when it happened on 99%

W

What The

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
I dont mean the installer on the ftps etc as in its a dodgy one. Im talking about transfering that installer from there to the client.

Wait...what?

A

Athan

My god you lot talk a lot of bollocks.

If you're getting corrupted downloads it's a problem *YOUR END*. This is assuming the server you're getting it from doesn't have a corrupt copy of course (so does the rest of this post).

TCP/IP has checksums, packets aren't going to get to you corrupted and NOT be dropped by the TCP/IP stack.

At the outside it's the M$ TCP/IP stack showing some bug. More likely you have some software firewall or anti-virus fritzing with things. That or you're resuming the download with a client that's not managing to do that correctly.

For what it'd worth my "DesertCombat_0.5L_Beta_Full_Install.exe" has an md5sum of: c11f35239ba1da4ddd70693576e0bf00

If you need a copy of md5sum.exe and trust me try here.

-Ath

B

Brass Monkeys

Yes you are correct .. I have firewall/anti-virus running but it "always" failed through the Game FTP server.

As soon as I tried it through the BlueYonder FTP server it downloaded without a hitch. This wasnt using any download managers either.

I have had no problems previously with downloading the previous versions of DC through GAME FTP, it just seemed to be this latest file and Action Battlefield on a previous thread.

Any other explantion?

A

Athan

Well, I got my copy from the GAME FTP without problems. So there's nothing intrinsically broken about that.

It'd take much more delving, including network data dumps to try and spot the actual problem I suspect.

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom