ZoneAlarm & ICS - how?

G

granny

Anyone know if ZoneAlarm will allow full ICS to work and if so how? I've got the LAN working fine here and ICS too - but only when ZA is disabled. I've added the ICS client machine to the "allowed ip's/hosts" in ZA adv.security properties and I've set the LAN security settings to "low" but it still blocks ICS giving the message "The firewall has blocked Internet access to news.bbc.co.uk (212.58.226.40) (HTTP) from your computer [TCP Flags: S]." (replacing news.bbc.co.uk with whatever site the ICS client machine is trying to reach).

If it's only possible with ZA Pro then I'll shell out and upgrade but I'd like to know for certain first.

Any help muchly appreciated :)

P

Perplex

You'll be asking for someone to change your nappy next. Use your initiative for fucks sake.

http://www.zonealarm.com/services/support_network.htm#6network

6. How do I set up ZoneAlarm Pro to work on an ICS system?
On the ICS gateway machine, ZoneAlarm Pro needs two specific settings to ensure the ICS clients will have access. Otherwise, ZoneAlarm Pro on the gateway will block client access.

In ZoneAlarm Pro, on the ICS gateway machine:

S

SoWat

You must use Zonealarm Pro to run ICS.

Not wishing to flame, but Perplex is right. These messageboards really shouldn't be your first point of call when you have a problem. My advice is (not just to you):

First go the manufacturer/publisher site. Look in their support section.

Then do a search (google is good) to find out if any other people have the same problem. I typed "Zonealarm Pro ICS" into Google. The first returned page answered the question.

The above 2 steps should give you the answer in 99.99% of cases.

ok...grumble over ;)

C

Ch3tan

If u want to use the free version of ZA then both local and internet security must be set to medium, it wont work on high setting.

S

SoWat

I wouldn't recommend the medium setting, as it leaves your computer visible to the internet. Get the pro version (which will allow you to use ICS on high security setting).

P

Perplex

I always have everything set to LOW or NONE or whatever it is :D Never had a single prob, mainly cos I'm not retarded!

I'm hard as nails me r0ar *bears teeth*

S

SoWat

You've never had a problem because you're not retarded?? The script kiddies can sense this?

Wow..modern technology huh!

I receive dozens of alarms a day, but only twice in 6 months was it an actual trojan probe (sub7). As I don't have any trojans it wouldn't have hurt anyway, but better the probe was stopped at source, rather than chance some twot getting in.

G

granny

FFS Perplex try READING what I wrote before you leap down my throat.

I specifically said ZoneAlarm, NOT ZoneAlarm Pro. In fact if you read a tiny bit further you'll see that I said "If it's only possible with ZA Pro then I'll shell out and upgrade but I'd like to know for certain first." ie. I *knew* full well it could be done with ZA Pro...

And SoWat - thanks for at least answering the question I asked but -10,000,000 points for simply ASSUMING I came here first. I had indeed looked on the ZoneLabs webby, read the FAQ's, searched etc but failed to find anything that specified *absolutely* that vanilla, free, ZoneAlarm *would not* work with ICS, hence I asked in here where there are occasionally intelligent, helpful people - just not today apparently.

S

]SK[

I used ZA for about one week with my cable modem, now i use nothing. I tried others but I cant stand the damn questions all the time. XP built in firewall doesnt ask these dumbass questions all the time.

:clap: to M$

G

Grimes

I got freebie ZA working with ICS - use medium for the Internet bit and I think I put the IP or Net card in the "advanced" bit...

no problems from the skriptoids as ZA still "steaths" out the ports that they can use -- just check your connect at sites like grs.com or hackerwhacker.com see what ports u have open

G

granny

Originally posted by +SA+SerialKilla
XP built in firewall doesnt ask these dumbass questions all the time.

:clap: to M$

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/21134.html

Microsoft's much vaunted first security product has become the subject of three separate security problems.

If you think that's unfair to Microsoft then bear in mind that its had to pull back claims that features in its upcoming Windows XP OS match the protection offered by corporate firewalls.

Oops :p

As for the rest of it, I went ahead and upgraded to ZA Pro which now works like a charm with my ICS.

S

]SK[

Ya git I was in my prime. :(

Its still beta and it will be fixed (Hopefully). They claim that every MS product is insecure. If so why do people continue to use their products?

C

Ch3tan

Contract with IBm to ship their os with every ibm pc sold for years? Compatibility with most exisiting software in use? They are a big fucking monopoly?

You are using beta software wit a beta firewall and quite happily browsing round the net? HAHA

What questions from zonealarm? Why not just give all the programs the right permessions the first time you run it and then you only get questions when something new is installed, or you've got a trojan.

S

]SK[

ZoneAlram caused me to crash my computer many a time. When playing games of HL it would popup the message asking to autoirse only I had many times. It doesnt want to rember some programs I tell it to. Cant I set it to let everything out but nothing in, IE the cloaking feature.

ATM I got no FW installed. I run an FTP server on my conny. If I ran ZoneAlrarm would it still allow people to connect to port 21 if I tell it too?

S

SoWat

thanks for at least answering the question I asked but -10,000,000 points for simply ASSUMING I came here first

I will consider myself bollocked ;)

O

old.mid_gen

The XP firewall is extremely limited, and very crude.

My personal choice is always BlackIce Defender. My mate had ZA on his pc. I think I would have thrown my fking computer out the window if I ever had a firewall asking me all this crap all the time.

BlackIce is great. It sits there, it blocks all the nastiness, is very easy to configure and customise, PLUS it doesn't bombard you with crap when something happens.

The systray icon just blinks at you when something is picked up. Perfect. :)

C

Ch3tan

Originally posted by mid_gen
The XP firewall is extremely limited, and very crude.

My personal choice is always BlackIce Defender. My mate had ZA on his pc. I think I would have thrown my fking computer out the window if I ever had a firewall asking me all this crap all the time.

BlackIce is great. It sits there, it blocks all the nastiness, is very easy to configure and customise, PLUS it doesn't bombard you with crap when something happens.

The systray icon just blinks at you when something is picked up. Perfect. :)

Why does everyone who can not be bothered to take 5 minutes to configure software always assume this about ZA?

BlackIce? It may not bohter u, thats cause it cant actualy protect u from anything.

Done the whole blackice lets trojans through thing before, so go look up the treads.

S

SoWat

ZA asks you if you want to allow programs, that don't have permission, to access the internet (or act as a server etc).

You can grant permission for that session only, or grant permission for all future sessions, in which case it never asks you again. The alert popups are only activated if required by the user (they are off by default). ZA also flashes a little icon in the system tray whenever a new alert appears.

ZA's insistence on specific permission before allowing programs onto the internet is it's strength. It checks the filename, path, date, size, and probably the crc for all I know. This makes it easy to catch trojans that try to dial out under an 'assumed name'.

Steve Gibson, for all his faults, did a very good writeup of personal firewalls on his site www.grc.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom