YoYoYo etc

Gray

FH is my second home
Howdy,

A while ago i asked about possible games which i should buy and play to see what they're like, we all came up with a few suggestions about RPG-type genre games, few picked out of the hat of many was games like DAoC, Kotor and Freedom Force.

Luckily i didnt go down the route of DAoC, but after much stress i managed to get myself Kotor - Which i loved to bits tbh, definatly a 9/10 in my eyes, the only problem was, it wasnt Online playable.

I got Freedom Force too, but have yet (After about 2mths) to even install it, so i dont really know what its like - Altho it does get get good ratings which is fine i suppose, leave it a bit longer while i still play Counterstrike/Half Life 2.

But im not here for those obviously! I have never played World of Warcraft, altho i did play one of the older games similar to that - Diablo II. That game was evil, had me addicted for over a year - and i still didnt know how to PvP! But only because i was never interested in that side of the game i suppose.

WoW seems to be similar, i have been contemplating whether to actually buy the game - and i have another few months i suppose before i make my flat out decision so theres no rush.

Just with Diablo II there was... about 5 classes to choose from? In my stint i played as the Barbarian mostly, just getting into the action and sorting it all out, but there seems to be more classes in WoW so its like "aaahh! gonna have to relearn everything!"

Is it just an updated version of games like Diablo II? Better graphics and what not, since its developed by the same team so there cant be too much difference. I like the idea of the subscription, i got the email this morning saying 6mth is only about £7, which seems good since its cheaper than the rest, so im considering it maybe.

Diablo got hit by loads of cheats/bugs which just made me want to leave the game, so with this new game it could bring new blood and less cheats while the subscription is in place, since Blizzard kinda just stopped caring..

Hohum,

But anyway, cant remember what i was asking, think this game would be worth buying, or would it be suggested to buy the first WoW game... heh yeah...

Cheeeeeers

Galelawyn

Fledgling Freddie
You can't compare it to D2 in anything, except the game creators then ( Blizzard ) .

To start with, D2 was hack&slash genre, this game isn't that easy ,I'm not saying it's hard either, but D2 was just pointing/clicking and drinking a potion when needed till the mobs fell dead. Here you'll have to work, and yes, you'll have to relearn about everything you've learned from D2, since it's a whole other game "Universe" .

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
It was also a different development team that did Diablo 2 - Blizzard North, while the Warcraft series is done by the main (south?) Blizzard develepment team.

T'is different though, completely separate universe and although there are similar elements, WoW is far more immersive than D2. I'd have said Guild Wars is more similar to D2 than WoW is as far as the way it plays (GW has a good few developers that worked on the Diablo games so the similarities are no surprise really).

Frols

Fledgling Freddie
No offence mate but no point in comparing wc3 or diablo 2 to world of warcraft, totally diffrent genres.

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
As pointed out already D2 is a completely different game genre. What we have is hack&slash (diablo -> diablo II) and RTS/MMORPG (warcraft 1-3 = real time strategy/World of Warcraft = massively multiplayer online roleplaying game). Obviously those 2 genres have nothing in common besides having the same game developer company name on the box.

If you gotta compare WoW to something, compare it to DAoC, EQ, EQ2, CoH, Darkfall etc etc. It's the same genre as those, but differs in the fact that it takes place in the same universe as the warcraft series with same races and some of the same geographical places as in warcraft 3.

Hope it kinda sums it up

Tilda

I'd suggest Gray, that you DL a demo of warcraft 3 or somthing and have a play with it, it basicly uses the same races. and a much more emersive world. The EU open beta is comming up soon-ish so i'd suggest signing up for that and having a play around.

Tilda

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
Will the EU beta be open at all? As far as I understood you'll need to purchase the highly limited beta kit to recieve a beta key.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
It will eventually yes...
And no, WoW isnt Diablo3 or something ;p

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
gah you can't compare it with Eq2 (which I have played).

Eq2 is fucking dreadful incomparison to the simplicity of this game. Whist I say simplicity I do not mean it is easy, but the interface is awesome, the graphics although JBP compares them to Zelda are astounding (but not ground breaking) and the game is much much quicker than EQ2 which quite frankly is slower than a gimped tortoise after a spliff.

This game is a nice place to go after a hard days work, oh if you excal people are all playing on one server can you tell me which one it is so I can avoid it at all costs :p

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
Yoni said:
This game is a nice place to go after a hard days work, oh if you excal people are all playing on one server can you tell me which one it is so I can avoid it at all costs :p

lool i was thinking the same :wub:

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
Yoni said:
gah you can't compare it with Eq2 (which I have played).

I must disagree looking at it in a general perspective, trying to give the orignal poster something to compare with. Both games are MMORPG's, thus enabling comparison in between the 2. I haven't tried EQ2, but I tried EQ. No apparent comparison possible between EQ and DAoC either apart from the fact that they both include more or less PvE and they're both MMORPG's based on almost the same system of stats, equipment, races, classes, lvls etc.

I was just comparing all those games to give a general overview on what the difference is between H&S and MMORPG, and what a few games of each genre would be. :)

Gray

FH is my second home
I see... So not the same...

You also pay for subscription for this game then do you, i seen it on Play.com regarding that, id probably like it better that way.

And where could you download the Beta of this game when it becomes released? I remember ages ago signing up for it but i didnt get an email back from anyone so i just forgot about it until now... If you sign up is it a sure-fire way of getting to test it out, or is it randomized?

And WoW is different than Warcraft3? I see, its a game id probably wanna try, im still rarely new to it which is worrying me... But someone has gotta start somewhere to see if they like it

What type of things would you undertask in WoW, all i get to see is glitzy pictures and information which just gives me classes n stuff but thats all stuff i need to look in when i play it, just wanna see what you have to undertake... Like i heard in Everquest2 you need to do jobs like mine or whatever... Is that the case in WoW? Gain exp from doing them and battling monsters?

Eeeee

leggy

Probably Scottish
If you preorder you will get a shot on the EU open beta (I hear). But in all honesty I strongly recommend the option of having a life. If you have a lot of time to play this game then fair enough otherwise you will find yourself sucked in and lost (and eating and getting fat probably too).

I think you'd be better off with neverwinter nights or something similar gray. Not too hardcore/life sucking and aswell as having a cracking sp campaign there are some good persistent world servers about where you can play online.

Then again it's up to you. I play a shit load of games but if you consider yourself a casual gamer, like me, then an MMO is definitely not the right choice. They require so much time and work it almost becomes a chore.

Rushster

Fledgling Freddie
Having played the game since April i can safely say it's the best MMORPG out there at the moment and I think it's worth the investment. Having tried EQ2 recenlty as well I would go for WoW over that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom